Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 06:17 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm not talking about liberals. I'm talking about what you are doing. Just what you are doing. Okay, there are liberals who do this. What does this have to do with the things YOU have said?

Old 04-19-2015, 06:19 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
Interestingly, it seem to be worldwide (aside from black majority countries of course). It's really a great question as to how somewhere like China got that way. Is it some sort of media issue inherited from the West? Does that attitude predate Western influences in the Orient? Gotta be a sociology study somewhere.

I'll bet that being black in Russia has got to be a trip, and rather irritating.
Even in some majority Black nations, certain Black ethnicities get looked down on. I've met some persons from African nations, who have told me that their parents didn't want them dating African-American men (their parents' words).

And as for Russia, racism is very bad over there. African students have been attacked and even killed over there.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I'm not surprised by such an evasive response. I've said something that can't be refuted. Response is to do something very immature, specifically the "talk to the hand" response. That kind of response is done by children, not adults.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Agree. I'm asian and I notice this a lot. I've been to China many times and have friends that are from there. I've never heard any one of them say anything positive about black people (except celebrities), while I've heard tons of negative comments. And the worst thing is, most of these people probably have never even met a black person in real life, or at least had any meaningful interaction with them. But at the same time these people will put whites on a pedestal, or at least accept them for who they are. Even Hispanics, Middle Easterners and others are treated better. Not sure it's "looking down on" but I'll agree blacks face the most hostility, at least in the US. Now I think some of this hostility is brought upon themselves but again, it does seem like they're treated as one homogeneous group, rather than as individuals, relatively speaking. One good thing though, is that I do think they receive the fairest representation in the entertainment industry (TV, movies) of all minorities.
People do encounter racism everywhere. However, as you mentioned, is the matter of being looked upon as homogeneous, rather than individuals. That is the million dollar question. It isn't about the actions coming from hood rats. It is about the ability to see people as individuals, rather than as a group.

And if there are those who have never met a Black person in their life, and already look down on those persons, I sometimes wonder what goes through the minds of such persons.

With representation in the entertainment industry, it depends. Roles are more diverse. However, there are things that still go on. I know there are roles I would not want to play. It is about what sells.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:36 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
People do encounter racism everywhere. However, as you mentioned, is the matter of being looked upon as homogeneous, rather than individuals. That is the million dollar question. It isn't about the actions coming from hood rats. It is about the ability to see people as individuals, rather than as a group.

And if there are those who have never met a Black person in their life, and already look down on those persons, I sometimes wonder what goes through the minds of such persons.

With representation in the entertainment industry, it depends. Roles are more diverse. However, there are things that still go on. I know there are roles I would not want to play. It is about what sells.
For those that never met a black person in real life, their influence comes from the media, entertainment industry, and their peers (who probably never met a black person either). Not sure if you ever went to China but the preponderance of white faces in advertisements is obvious. At the same time there are very few other non-Chinese faces. It's as if they're saying, a white person endorses this product so it must be superior. There are Indians, blacks, Middle Easterners, southeast asians, etc. in China but you almost never see them in advertisements.

For the entertainment industry I do think great progress has been made. Blacks certainly have it much better than Asians or hispanics in that regard.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:42 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
For those that never met a black person in real life, their influence comes from the media, entertainment industry, and their peers (who probably never met a black person either). Not sure if you ever went to China but the preponderance of white faces in advertisements is obvious. At the same time there are very few other non-Chinese faces. It's as if they're saying, a white person endorses this product so it must be superior. There are Indians, blacks, Middle Easterners, southeast asians, etc. in China but you almost never see them in advertisements.

For the entertainment industry I do think great progress has been made. Blacks certainly have it much better than Asians or hispanics in that regard.
Well Hispanics tried to hide their culture to look white as possible.Asian get the short end of the stick because movies featuring are usually where the white guys has to save them and he falls for Asian girl.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:46 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
People do realize one of the objectives in our evolution is to become a more unified race, right? In hundreds of years when we're all dead there will be waaaay more interracial humans to the point where it'll be normal. People after us are going to laugh that we cared so much about race, it's disgusting.
True, but based upon past experiences in history, they'll find some new way to hate each other.

Go back 100 years in America, and it was a big problem for you to be Irish, Italian, and so forth. And heaven forbid if you married outside your specific ethnic group or subset of Christianity!

Now, we've evolved (just a bit) as a people to "only" hate people with more noticeable differences in appearance and religion. Yeah... I guess...

Long story short, humanity has demonstrated over and over an utter inability to shed bigotry in anything more than one small step at a time. Most people have no higher ability to see the sheer idiocy of it all or understand that simply reducing the number of groups one hates doesn't mean one still isn't a narrow-minded bigot.

As for the OP, obsessing about race remains a thing in this country... a pointless thing, but it won't end anytime soon, sadly.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:50 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Well Hispanics tried to hide their culture to look white as possible.Asian get the short end of the stick because movies featuring are usually where the white guys has to save them and he falls for Asian girl.
Well there probably is some bias towards more European looking hispanics in the hispanic community but I haven't noticed them really trying to hide their culture, at least in the US. Seems a lot are proud of their culture. Agree Asians seem to be at the bottom of the totem pole in the media and other socials scenes. A lot of it is brought upon themselves, with their passive attitudes, inferiority complexes and willingness to be subservient and settle for less than other races would settle for. One bright spot is the show "Fresh off the boat". I've been watching it and it seems like it might stick. I think it's a fair representation of Asians, unlike many past shows.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:54 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times
Why are so many men and women living together???No thought of marriage.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:54 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Most illegitimate babies in the US are fathered by white men. It's a problem for all races-40% of all births are out of wedlock.
But remember, just because a couple isn't married doesn't mean the father is absent.

The Myth Of The Absent Black Father | ThinkProgress

It seems like you have some personal issues in regards to race to work out OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates