Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 06:14 PM

229 posts, read 381,246 times

Advertisements

Yes. There are pedophiles in prison right now with full bellies and free healthcare while there are children who go to bed hungry every night. I would rather those meals go to the law-abiding, tax-paying citizens who are struggling despite working hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:47 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,068,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamba View Post
Yes. There are pedophiles in prison right now with full bellies and free healthcare while there are children who go to bed hungry every night. I would rather those meals go to the law-abiding, tax-paying citizens who are struggling despite working hard.
What prisons are you referring to? Are they in the US?

It's quite interesting that people assume prisons are somehow luxurious. Either these people have never bothered to research what prisons are actually like or they have such an archaic idea of what prisons are like that even offering them food is too merciful.

Don't get me wrong, kids going to be hungry is awful, but the two issues are completely different. Prisons are the property of the state (or they should be) and the state needs to be held to a standard. It's easy to say some people don't deserve good treatment once incarcerated when you immediately jump to murder or child rapist but reality, which is this thing some people live in, shows that those people are by far not the majority in prisons. Most of them are drug offenders or some kind of property crime offender. Not really people who don't deserve to be fed (not that even the most hideous criminals don't deserve food; people who would withhold food from someone are far more evil than the rapist or the murderer if you ask me simply because their inhumanity will go unpunished).

Old 04-29-2015, 12:35 AM

4,903 posts, read 4,184,959 times
I see nothing wrong with assisted suicide .I do think at least for the families sake there should be a paper trail,the opportunity for counseling if desired and a waiting period.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:37 PM

545 posts, read 590,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Should prisoners who receive life sentences without parole be given access to some sort of drug like the one Brittany Maynard took to end her own life? Is life in prison actually worse than the death penatly itself? It seems very expensive to take care of prisoners and if they want to commit suicide, why shouldnt we let them and possibly even assist in the process? I am all for it and think that people with life sentences should be allowed and even encouraged to off themselves whenever they please. It would help bring costs and overcrowding down.

This was brought to light by Aaron Hernandez recently being placed on suicide watch after being convicted and sentenced without parole. I find it absurd that a prisoner would be placed on suicide watch. Why should we prevent prisoners from committing suicide?

Actually you bring up a great point...allow prisoners the choice of suicide or life in prison without parole..

And I do agree, the suicide watch approach is absolutely ridiculous!! Let them take their own lives....saves the taxpayers in the long run!!

Old 05-02-2015, 01:12 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,350,395 times
Definitely, we should let them.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:56 AM

229 posts, read 381,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
What prisons are you referring to? Are they in the US?

It's quite interesting that people assume prisons are somehow luxurious. Either these people have never bothered to research what prisons are actually like or they have such an archaic idea of what prisons are like that even offering them food is too merciful.

Don't get me wrong, kids going to be hungry is awful, but the two issues are completely different. Prisons are the property of the state (or they should be) and the state needs to be held to a standard. It's easy to say some people don't deserve good treatment once incarcerated when you immediately jump to murder or child rapist but reality, which is this thing some people live in, shows that those people are by far not the majority in prisons. Most of them are drug offenders or some kind of property crime offender. Not really people who don't deserve to be fed (not that even the most hideous criminals don't deserve food; people who would withhold food from someone are far more evil than the rapist or the murderer if you ask me simply because their inhumanity will go unpunished).
Are you saying prisoners don't get food? Any type of criminal whether it be a pedophile or drug dealer does not deserve a meal over any innocent child.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:14 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,762,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Of course - save us all some money
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
And foolproof. An unsuccessful suicide could end up costing the taxpayers even more in the long run.
The state of Oregon offers state approved suicide. If they can do it by prescription, why cant that prescription pill be spread into the prison system? No muss. No fuss.

We are as a society so silly, let alone inconsistent on this matter.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:36 AM

25,591 posts, read 21,772,537 times
No, they should not. If death is an appropriate response to their crime(s), then the death penalty should be administered. I have never heard of criminals giving mercy to their victims and it seems like this is being advocating. I would only advocate for misery by the death penalty and I like the idea of hanging/beheading but my favorite is tying someone spread eagle in the desert with wet rawhide as that gives them enough time to really think through the errors of their ways before their eminent departure.

Prison has become an industry and in the US, other than the medical industry which has also went the way of out of control, we don't have much. Lots of money changes hands. What would be the financial impact of eliminating the prisons?

Only dangerous people should be locked up, those dangerous to others. All other criminals need to be monitored and working to pay back what they took in some way from their victims. On drug charges, the government needs to stop the flow but then again, "War On Drugs" is another industry and a lot of money changes hands. The only ones I saw arrested on drug charges in smaller towns were those that tried to compete with "select" vendors so I guess with the illegal drug issue, we need to lock up from the top of the chain, not the bottom!

Old 05-02-2015, 08:32 AM

2,651 posts, read 2,207,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Should prisoners who receive life sentences without parole be given access to some sort of drug like the one Brittany Maynard took to end her own life? Is life in prison actually worse than the death penatly itself? It seems very expensive to take care of prisoners and if they want to commit suicide, why shouldnt we let them and possibly even assist in the process? I am all for it and think that people with life sentences should be allowed and even encouraged to off themselves whenever they please. It would help bring costs and overcrowding down.

This was brought to light by Aaron Hernandez recently being placed on suicide watch after being convicted and sentenced without parole. I find it absurd that a prisoner would be placed on suicide watch. Why should we prevent prisoners from committing suicide?

Definitely yes. But in murder cases, I would take into account the wishes of the victim families, where applicable. I would go so far as to incentivize the prisoner's decision by offering up to a $3000 payment to the designated next of kin or attorney who would use the money to pay for cremation or funeral expenses and burial, up to that maximum amount. Any remaining funds would be returned to the state. The lifetime savings for the state would make the 3K a very agreeable exchange.

If I were facing life without parole, I'd take the euthanasia. I agree with another poster - life in a cement box is really cruel and unusual punishment.

I'd also consider allowing lifers without parole the opportunity to work on a chain gang 40 hours a week for minimum wage, with 75 percent of their pay going to pay for room and board and victim restitution, child support, etc.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:22 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,068,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamba View Post
Are you saying prisoners don't get food? Any type of criminal whether it be a pedophile or drug dealer does not deserve a meal over any innocent child.
They get low quality food, sometimes unhealthy food, depending on the prison.

And what do you mean they don't deserve it. Obviously, I want children who have done nothing wrong to eat. But I'm also not a complete idiot. You take funding form prisons, and it's not gong to feed any children. I know this because our government is not run by people with any moral compass.

This concept that prisons need to be places of misery is absurd to me. The punishment is the loss of freedom. We could put them in mansions; if they were told they could never leave, hardly have any contact with their friends and loved ones, be regimented to rules about when they can eat and sleep and go to the bathroom, they'd be suffering.

Prisioners should be fed and offered health care when they need it. They do deserve it. Criminal or not, they're still human beings and I REFUSE to accept that my tax dollars go to a system that treats people like they're something other than human. It's about ethics and morality. Of course all the children deserve to eat, but that doesn't mean all the prisoners don't either. And as I said, taking away the food from prisoners won't give food to the poor, it will put a gun in the hand of a killer fighting a pointless war under the false god of freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates