Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:41 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I do t know what’s produced in each country, only that a lot of companies are now moving their factories there because wages went up in China. Whether they should or shouldn’t get Aid or need overseers wasn’t my point, my point was the rest of the world isn’t going to just sit back and watch us become some kind of empire.

Again though we can’t even get power to tiny Puerto Rico, the infrastructure there is still a mess, our own infrastructure is a mess, why should any country trust us to take care of them? Why does anyone here think we are capable of doing so?
If the "rest of the world" wants to pony up huge sums, let them. As for Puerto Rico's power, the U.S. would have contributed more if the money were going to the project, not to grease palms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 03:16 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If the "rest of the world" wants to pony up huge sums, let them. As for Puerto Rico's power, the U.S. would have contributed more if the money were going to the project, not to grease palms.
We didn’t have to send money. Its our country we could’ve sent workers. We didn’t do it because the powers that be didn’t care.

I don’t know what huge sums you’re talking about. My point is that if we really want to try to become an empire we’re going to fight the rest of the world to do so. As in war, millions of deaths and billions and billions and billions of dollars.

We are not the only country that gives aid, by the way. And we’re not that generous. You’re acting like we support them, we don’t.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-11-2018 at 04:27 PM..

Old 07-11-2018, 06:00 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Should we bring back colonialism? A plain and simple "No". Colonialism is just a fancy word for enslavement of nations and its people. It may not be like New World chattel slavery. It nevertheless is a kind of slavery, in that the dominant power is exploiting the lesser power without giving the lesser power sufficient compensation for its work.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Should we bring back colonialism? A plain and simple "No". Colonialism is just a fancy word for enslavement of nations and its people. It may not be like New World chattel slavery. It nevertheless is a kind of slavery, in that the dominant power is exploiting the lesser power without giving the lesser power sufficient compensation for its work.
Then those nations shouldn't shake the tin cup and/or export migrants and terror.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:48 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Then those nations shouldn't shake the tin cup and/or export migrants and terror.
Well we do our share of shaking the tin cup. I guess since we owe China over a trillion dollars, they should just get to make us a territory, right?

Old 07-12-2018, 07:52 AM

481 posts, read 422,858 times
Quote:
If they shake the tin cup, we repeatedly smash it against the countertop till it dents.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:07 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
Probably not a majority, but some would.

Another case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51tShKUg8QU

It shows a crowd of Haitians begging to become a US territory.

Now there’s a surprise, a bunch of poor Haitians looking for a handout from the U.S., if Uncle Sam is looking for a slew of needy poor people, there are around 65 million of us over here in the U.K., pretty please.
Please Mr. Trump, can I go somewhere south of Maryland, I just love grits, fried green tomatoes, she crab soup, and sunshine.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:22 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The late President of the Commonwealth of The Philippines, Manuel Quezon would have this to say:

"I would rather have a country run like hell by Filipinos than a country run like heaven by the Americans, because however bad a Filipino government might be, we can always change it."
Revisting old threads.

How portentous was Milton! Even without intending to be. Although not writing of this world directly, Satan says:

"Here at least
we shall be free; the Almighty hath not built
Here for his envy, will not drive us hence:
Here we may reign secure, and in my choice
to reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."

I wonder what Quezon's fellows thought of his sentiments.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The late President of the Commonwealth of The Philippines, Manuel Quezon would have this to say:

"I would rather have a country run like hell by Filipinos than a country run like heaven by the Americans, because however bad a Filipino government might be, we can always change it."
  1. I wonder how his countrymen felt; and
  2. I wonder who the "we" was?

Old 08-13-2018, 07:45 PM

233 posts, read 344,606 times
Quote:
The OP hasn't posted since January 2017 so I'll take a stab. Britain is, by virtue of its hand-in-glove alliance with the U.S., Canada, Australia and other countries that speak its language and share its heritage of good government a major world power. Further background is in Colonialism v. Immigration v. National Borders v. Compassion - What's the Solution?

I would argue that almost all the African countries, the Middle Eastern countries except Israel, and Asian countries excluding Singapore and arguably India were better off under colonial rule. Except of course for the ruling class in each of these countries.
Thanks for stepping in for me. You are spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates