Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:11 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,140,193 times

Advertisements

Baltimore erupts in riots after funeral of man who died in police custody

I am sure some of you are aware of the recent news in Baltimore, Maryland. If not, I posted a link above.

And I pose these questions to you:

Have riots ever been effective in changing policy?

Do you feel peaceful demonstrations are just as effective as rioting?

I ask these questions because I am unaware of anytime in U.S. history in which rioting has been effective, and I would like to ask others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 09:24 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,549,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
Baltimore erupts in riots after funeral of man who died in police custody

I am sure some of you are aware of the recent news in Baltimore, Maryland. If not, I posted a link above.

And I pose these questions to you:

Have riots ever been effective in changing policy?

Do you feel peaceful demonstrations are just as effective as rioting?

I ask these questions because I am unaware of anytime in U.S. history in which rioting has been effective, and I would like to ask others.
Unfortunately they are more effective than peace marches, by forcing the system to deal with events that create riots in a more conclusive way. It forces oversight more, and Criminal behavior by Police is less likely to be swept under the rug, or not dealt with, because they are aware that Confrontations will likely come next. Its sad that this happens, but people are frustrated and do not see results or Justice being served without Civil disobedience.

The Baltimore case is a prime example. There are a lot of questions that need to be answered. SOme one knows what happened to this man, and you hear nothing from the establishment, other than there is an investigation. WE all deserve to know what happened to the man that killed him. He did not severe his own spine.

I don't think people need to resort to violence, and I think Looters should be shot on the street. I also think Police have brought this Perception on themselves , covering for each other, and abusing their power.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:00 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,140,193 times
It may bring about change, but not in a positive way.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:03 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,333,276 times
History has shown that a civil war eventually brings change as soon as there is nothing left to burn or lose.
Fire proves to be a cleansing action as it erases all evidence of the objects that tormented the aggrieved souls and people believe that the seeds of a new age will rise up out of the ashes and become the new law of the land.

I'm sure that the people behind the agitators who are burning those neighborhoods are thinking of all the new jobs that will eventually be created when the rebuilding of the scorched earth policy takes place.
Hopefully, whoever takes on the rebuilding will use local talent or more bloody hell will prevail.
A perfect example of trickle down economics is taking place before your eyes as one day the 1% will invest their tax free money into regentrifying that area as Real Estate is too valuable to let sit and not generating income.
Unfortunately, the people who used to live there will be long gone when the new, peaceful, tenants move in.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:42 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,795,371 times
There were numerous Vietnam marches and demonstrations. I cannot think of a Vietnam riot unless categorizing the 1969 Democrat Convention in Chicago as one. There was the Kent State U. shooting but that was not a riot. The marches and demonstrations helped force politcal change. So did the Media.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:49 PM

21,026 posts, read 19,492,769 times
Yes, the rioting in the late 60's changed policy by encouraging people to move out of inner cities. Examples: government-backed mortgages, road construction, new school construction, etc.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:45 PM

15,514 posts, read 15,509,807 times
But surely you don't believe that riots are the results of smart rational people meeting together, discussing, and democratically deciding to riot in the hopes of improving things?

Old 04-28-2015, 03:48 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,118,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Yes, as I posted in the other thread, riots do effect positive change.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:12 PM

8,237 posts, read 8,576,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Yes, as I posted in the other thread, riots do effect positive change.

The article is taking events from the past and making it sound like they were the reason for changes happening later, in some cases decades later.

For how many years were Watts, Hough, and Detroit still showing the effects of the riots? Is there any substantial improvement today in those areas.

Stonewall was the beginning but hardly a major factor in gay rights. Just a rallying cry, not much more than that. Don't believe me? How were gay rights 40, 30, 20 years ago?

The Chicago convention showed police brutality in a Northern city. It also elected Nixon on a law and order platform ( so who did the voters side with, not the rioters). Did nothing to end the war in Vietnam.

Riots have never made a change to the good. They put more people against them. For an example think if gays would riot, burn buildings, and injure police officers. How do you think the poll numbers in favor of gay marriage would change. The "for" numbers would drop like a rock. Their cause would fall back and not recover for decades if ever. Riots never pull people to their cause.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:38 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,118,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The article is taking events from the past and making it sound like they were the reason for changes happening later, in some cases decades later.

For how many years were Watts, Hough, and Detroit still showing the effects of the riots? Is there any substantial improvement today in those areas.

Stonewall was the beginning but hardly a major factor in gay rights. Just a rallying cry, not much more than that. Don't believe me? How were gay rights 40, 30, 20 years ago?

The Chicago convention showed police brutality in a Northern city. It also elected Nixon on a law and order platform ( so who did the voters side with, not the rioters). Did nothing to end the war in Vietnam.

Riots have never made a change to the good. They put more people against them. For an example think if gays would riot, burn buildings, and injure police officers. How do you think the poll numbers in favor of gay marriage would change. The "for" numbers would drop like a rock. Their cause would fall back and not recover for decades if ever. Riots never pull people to their cause.
So, you believe those events existed in a sealed vacuum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates