Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 06:35 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,873,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
The right thing to do, if you value your life, is to shoot to kill immediately when you see a thug inside your house. Do not give them the single second it will take them to cross your 25 foot safety perimeter. No warning. No warning shot.
This is not to disagree with you .....

If there is an intruder in your house, get out if you can and if it is safe to do so. Getting into a gunfight with an intruder increases your chance of getting shot.

Second, if you cannot get out, then get into a bedroom or a bathroom, lock the door and call the cops. Stay on the phone with the cops and tell them where you are and that you have a gun.

If the intruder breaks into the locked room where you are then open fire ... no hesitation. You have the advantage because you know where the door is and the intruder does not know where in the room you are.

Do not go looking for an intruder because then you are surrendering home field advantage. You don't know exactly where the intruder is and you don't know if there is more than one. You are increasing your chances of getting shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 06:36 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,075,843 times
Quote:
I don't think too many people have thought through what happens when, and how fast, when you are party to a thug who's broken into your house.

First: it would be clear to them that they are in an occupied house (if not from car in driveway, then from the sixth sense that we all have about "somebody else is here"). At that point, they had the choice to retreat. They did not.

Second: Upon entry, they would see evidence that somebody is home. They had the choice to retreat. They did not. By the time you are actually looking at a thug, be very aware that he is there to kill the evidence and take what he wants.

Third: The profile of a thug who is confident enough in his ability break into an occupied house is under 30. The older ones have been killed or are in the federal pen. A male under 30 can traverse 25 feet in one second. You really want to bet your life that you can get off two accurate shots before he closes the distance? Statistically, the likelihood is vanishingly rare.

Since he knows there's somebody there and he's coming in anyway, he's going to hurt you. Certainly immobilize you. At that point, he's money ahead if he just kills you. Same reason why you NEVER willingly go to a more private place (into his car qualifies) with somebody who thinks he's going to come out on top no matter what. Given the abduction and murder trials of the taxi drivers in Charlottesville, I'm now rethinking taxis.

The right thing to do, if you value your life, is to shoot to kill immediately when you see a thug inside your house. Do not give them the single second it will take them to cross your 25 foot safety perimeter. No warning. No warning shot.

It's much better to think these things through ahead of time. That way you don't waste part of your second (or the year you are going to wait it out, hoping against hope that your underwater mortgage "recovers") frozen with indecision. That rule applies to all of life's twists and turns. Decide what you're going to do ahead of time, don't waver - and do it.

JMO of course, but it has worked for me, for everybody that I know, and for everybody I have read about.
This is the mindset taught by home defense/self defense instructors universally across the U.S.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:49 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,417,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
This is the mindset taught by home defense/self defense instructors universally across the U.S.
Wow! I'm sorta feeling proud o' myself. I did the CCP training, but have never had the free time to learn more about home defense/self defense. Not to mention the PT to back it up.

I would not last one second in close quarters combat.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:06 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,075,843 times
Quote:
Wow! I'm sorta feeling proud o' myself. I did the CCP training, but have never had the free time to learn more about home defense/self defense. Not to mention the PT to back it up.

I would not last one second in close quarters combat.
I'm a CCW instructor and we teach no hesitation. However as Jaggy said, it's best to find a room that you can take cover, call 911 and don't hesitate if he comes through the door.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:17 PM

19,687 posts, read 10,019,189 times
As soon as they step into the house, I will drop them. They get no chance to hurt my family.

Last edited by Floorist; 05-02-2015 at 08:50 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 08:26 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,349,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Your coworkers are idiots.
why?

if someone break into my house, i dont care if he armed or not, he dead, because the next chance he gets to rob someone, he might rape or murder.

I will shoot him with every bullet in the gun

Old 05-02-2015, 09:51 PM

12,934 posts, read 7,101,576 times
Not everyone will be able to retreat to a room with a phone and a gun. Lots of 911 recordings where a woman is hold up in a room and on the phone where the intruder is breaking down the door and killing them or raping them beating on them. Ideal situation is you have a firearm and a phone you are able to hid in a back room take up defensive position. I had a situation where I was at home depot I left the store and a small truck followed me for about 5 miles. I took a few turns I don't normally turn then home I drove. He followed me to my house parked down the street. I thought maybe something fell off my truck. I got home ran into my bedroom got my .357 revolver. At this time I hear knocking at the door I still not sure maybe something fell off my truck I don't want to call the police. I open the door this man tells me he is looking for an address. His face has a lot of tattoos the kind you see from prison. He has those tear drop tattoos by his eyes which I have been told means that person has committed murder. I tell him I know he followed me from Home depot and he needs to leave my property and he can see me holding my cocked .357 Smith in my hand. I only held it down at my side ready to go if needed. He walked away fast got into his unmarked truck and took off. Have no idea to this day what he wanted but I think he wanted to try and gain access inside my home somehow. I called the police they came but I never got the license plate. I was little nervous for a few months he would return but never did.

He was on my porch I had no right to shoot unless he tried to push his way in my home I would have fired. In some states that is not justification to fire pushing ones way into a home.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:24 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,869,126 times
Yes you should have the right. The criminal will do it again and next time it could mean your or someone else's life. So what if they are poor or misguided? I was yet I never stole. My one neighbor by has a son who's a burglar. He steals to support his drug habit and goes to prison only to be released and do it again. He needs to learn about working and buying things from his money.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:15 AM

91 posts, read 112,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I think they should be prosecuted. Unless the intruder was trying to physically harm the home owner and put them in danger, there is no need to shoot someone. People shoot too quickly these days and they always shoot to kill. No one should die for trying to steal a TV or jewelry or whatever. Go to jail, yes, but killed no.
Clearly you've never encountered anyone in your house. You have absolutely no idea what an intruder is going to do when they break in your house.

Looking at it in hindsight, I might agree, but in the moment you encounter someone in your house, you have no idea what can happen. That's why people shoot-not "to kill" as you so ignorantly put it, but to defend themselves. Robberies have turned to murders. Not all of the time obviously, but it happens.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:22 AM

23,917 posts, read 32,243,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
A co worker of mine said his neighbor shot and killed someone that came into his home while he was sleeping tried to rob him. The burglar came in during the day thought his neighbor was at work. The burglar wasn't armed the local DA isn't going to press charges. I don't think they would get a conviction anyway in my state of Arizona. If someone comes into a home to do wrong to me he knows the risk of getting killed. A few years ago 2 men entered a home tied up a retired doctor and his wife killed both of them burned their body's in a backyard. I think I would do the same and shoot the person in my home because if they get control over you end up like those old people. Have no idea what they are going to do I don't want to risk my family. Some of my co-workers have said the homeowner should have been prosecuted.

NO. If you are in a house that is not yours, uninvited; and you are shot - the person who shot you should be held blameless for shooting - or anything else that happens to you.

There should be no need to hide or burn bodies. If someone is killed or injured by a homeowner after a break in, the homeowner (or resident) should be able to report this to the police and to be free of prosecution.

Perhaps their legal troubles had more to do with what they did with the bodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates