Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 07:46 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,661,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Yes at diners and fast casual restaurants they make their money from a rapid revolving door of patrons. If you want that level of personal service you would need to go to a more high-end restaurant with reservations made.
Uh oh...wait and see the level of expectations around reservations this person has.

They think the restaurant should call every reservation anytime a menu item or special has been sold out or there are any changes.....before the reservation gets there....among other things.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:33 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,675,740 times
It's funny and sad at the same time. But I can't seem to turn away from this trainwreck. Awaiting more "interesting" posts from OP. I truly hope for humanity this is a troll thread and not someone's actual true self.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:45 AM

6,809 posts, read 6,893,502 times
I've noticed that anyone who posts "huh?" at the end of their sentences are people who just enjoy a good fight. I try not to engage with belligerent people.....it only feeds their need to fight. The OP is definitely someone who lives to find fault and thrives on contention. Too much drama for me!

Old 05-05-2015, 08:57 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,392,651 times
The OP's posting history really is a delight.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:10 AM

649 posts, read 566,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
At times, we have had servers do this that it wasn't busy and they aren't in a hurry.

Also, if you act like your other tables are only important, then you are not giving good service to that table.

It's so much faster if they would come prepared with their pad and pen in hand READY to write down an abbreviated list of things.

1. BA
2. BO
3. CH
4. TGCO

bag, box, check, and a to-go coke

You wouldn't even have to write the numbers, just those 4 things.

Food may be sitting in the window, but you do realize a lot of restaurants have either food runners or other servers running each other's food, right?

Same thing even with bar drinks. We have had other servers deliver bar drinks to our table before as well if our server was busy.

The one thing I do that saves the server time is if we need more time, we TELL our server we aren't ready to order yet. I don't make my server stand and not order. I may ask a question before I am 100% for sure, but I already know if the answer is not as expected what I want and if I am not sure, I tell them I need more time.

Those customers waiting on drinks, that's why you should be going in order assuming that I didn't call you over of course. If table 4 just asked for 3 refills, why are you at my table if I didn't call you over if you aren't bringing me an item we asked for? You should be getting their refills.
I waited tables for ten years so yes I know what a food runner is. I don't think you realize that not every restaurant uses a runner at all times and even if there is an official runner the servers are still expected to run food when the restaurant is busy.

Anyway, it's obvious that nothing is ever going to make you happy. I'm going to guess that you hate the way the bag boy bags your groceries, you probably think the mailman is an idiot and that the garbage man is lazy.

This is not a real problem. The would is not conspiring to deny you extra blue cheese.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:39 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,654,884 times
When i was a server if someone said "id like this/i need that" it meant now; not when i got around to it or whenever i felt like getting it but NOW. You say "id like a box please" and i was doing a fast 180 to go get you your box. I dont want to stand there with my proverbial thumb up my butt wondering if theres anything else for me to do or if you meant you wanted the box now or in a little bit.

Also, as far as condiments go you can put those in the box that your food is in. Your condiments wont have their feelings hurt if they dont have their own box (theyre not special).

We also rush to leave because we have other people to take of, food to run, checks to hand out, salads to make, change to give, to go orders to make....youre not the center of our universe. However we do want to get your items promptly.

Instead of saying "im not finished yet" why not say "i would also like....."? You can also tell them from the start that you have a very large order. Most servers will expect patrons to be fairly simple when it comes to orders (drinks maybe appetizers, food order, then later on MAYBE a dessert). You saying you want everything under the sun in a certain way at a certain time and all this and that simply makes you come off as a pain in the butt that we will avoid waiting on in the future.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:42 AM

92 posts, read 223,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you are in that much of a hurry go to fast food, leave 20 minutes sooner to get to the restaurant 20 minutes sooner or stay home and cook.

When we go out to dine we do not have a time frame because we are there to relax and enjoy our meal, each other and our surroundings. We are also there to visit with friends if we have gone out with or joined another couple.

If you cannot ask for whatever it is you want when the server comes around or while they are there serving your food that is your issue.
If you cannot eat and enjoy your fries that is also your issue.

Your response to my post makes no sense whatsoever but I understand you had to pile on me too since I was the only person who came to the OP's defense. And I still call bull**** on everyone here who says they have never had a server skate away before they or someone else at their table was finished with their requests. This has absolutely nothing to do with me being in a hurry. Also BS on anyone saying they don't care if their food comes not as requested since they are so carefree, friendly and easy going that they'll just eat anything served.

The OP might be a bit verbose and this is certainly not a great debate but at least be honest.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:46 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,661,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boystuition View Post
Your response to my post makes no sense whatsoever but I understand you had to pile on me too since I was the only person who came to the OP's defense. And I still call bull**** on everyone here who says they have never had a server skate away before they or someone else at their table was finished with their requests. This has absolutely nothing to do with me being in a hurry. Also BS on anyone saying they don't care if their food comes not as requested since they are so carefree, friendly and easy going that they'll just eat anything served.

The OP might be a bit verbose and this is certainly not a great debate but at least be honest.
Of course I care if I get what I ordered....but it's rare that it doesn't come out correctly and when it doesn't it normally takes a quick request to make it right.

If one always has this much of a problem when eating out....you really do need to look at your behavior.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:47 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,229,551 times
A thought for the OP this morning: buy your own restaurant and run it any d**n way you want. See how many servers stay beyond a month or two.

Oh, and after you do so, please check back in with us all and let us know how successful your methods are. With your winning personality I'm sure customers will be racing to the doors (to leave).

Old 05-05-2015, 10:04 AM

6,809 posts, read 6,893,502 times
OP, my question is this: If eating out at restaurants is always such a disappointment, why do you continue to frequent them? Seems like you'd be happier cooking the food yourself, exactly the way you want it.

BTW, I googled Springs1 and was pretty horrified by some of your abusive posts on other forums. I'm sure the moderators won't allow that kind of stuff here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates