Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 09:04 PM

393 posts, read 306,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Are you not allowed to ask the server for what you need without them talking to you first?
YES, because that's the entire point of this thread, they WALK AWAY TOO QUICKLY SO YOU CAN'T. They are already walked off to another table already or walked off doing something else. At Outback, there's no way I could have gotten up to tell the waiter since my mom was on one side of the booth that was the way out the booth, so I wouldn't have made it in time before he went to another table even if the next table he went to was far away. Also, not my job to get up to have my server give me my full turn. That's the way you sound that you feel I have to do that.

Quote:
When they asked someone else at the table if they wanted a refill, you could have spoken up and said "I would like a refill on my soda, thank you!"
HOW when HE asked her if she wanted a pina colada, then BOOM HE TURNED AROUND *****************IMMEDIATELY****************** and left. I didn't get a chance. DON'T YOU GET THE ENTIRE POINT OF THIS THREAD, HUH? OBVIOUSLY YOU DON'T.

Quote:
There are plenty of times where I would like something and the server doesn't specifically ask me about it, so I speak up and ask them myself. Or sometimes I stop the server with a simple "Excuse me, could I please have...."
I do that ALL THE TIME if they don't offer, I ask, but the times I have a CHANCE. A LOT OF THEM WALK OFF. As I said before, I am in mid-sentence, they are already walking away at times.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Of course anyone who goes out to eat fairly frequently has had those problems. Its just not considered a big deal to most. The waiter leaves before I can ask for the check. Thats fine, I'll just ask for it when they bring me my to-go box.
That's you that doesn't mind waiting, while the rest of the world DOES. Especially people that are on their lunch break or in a hurry.

Quote:
And yes I often make substitutions to the food I order. If it comes out wrong, I politely inform the server (or who ever brought out the food) that my order isn't right and I let them correct it. Again, nothing that I would feel I need to rage about online. I've worked as a server, I know sometimes mistakes happen. Sometimes its the server's fault, but most often its the kitchen/expo who didn't catch the mistake and sent the food out with a different server. Not a big deal.
Most often it's the server's fault if it's condiments missing, because those can be brought out ahead of time. Also, servers do put in orders wrong, you do realize that right that this concept IS pretty common?

It's not the kitchen/expo's fault for an obvious error. If another server or food runner runs the food, if the order was put in correctly, that's on the other server or food runner not including the condiments, because that's on the original server that took the order that could have brought those out ahead of time.

If it's my own server running the food, they can see a lot of errors BEFORE they get to you like seasoning on fries that the customer said they didn't want, if they said they wanted bbq sauce on ribs but it's full of bbq sauce why would you serve it, etc.? My server has their written order they can compare the food to for such obvious errors so they can correct it BEFORE it makes it to the customer obviously wrong.

Quote:
I know sometimes mistakes happen.
A lot of times though, it's laziness and being uncaring. When you have from your own server missing 3 condiments, they didn't check a thing. You aren't going to miss 3 things on ONE PLATE and TRULY HONESTLY have checked it over. I can see missing one and it be a real mistake, but not 3.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:14 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
YES, because that's the entire point of this thread, they WALK AWAY TOO QUICKLY SO YOU CAN'T. They are already walked off to another table already or walked off doing something else. At Outback, there's no way I could have gotten up to tell the waiter since my mom was on one side of the booth that was the way out the booth, so I wouldn't have made it in time before he went to another table even if the next table he went to was far away. Also, not my job to get up to have my server give me my full turn. That's the way you sound that you feel I have to do that.

HOW when HE asked her if she wanted a pina colada, then BOOM HE TURNED AROUND *****************IMMEDIATELY****************** and left. I didn't get a chance. DON'T YOU GET THE ENTIRE POINT OF THIS THREAD, HUH? OBVIOUSLY YOU DON'T.

I do that ALL THE TIME if they don't offer, I ask, but the times I have a CHANCE. A LOT OF THEM WALK OFF. As I said before, I am in mid-sentence, they are already walking away at times.
I have to say....if you SPEAK the way you write....long, verbose, and monotonous...I can certainly see WHY those servers are not waiting for you to finish.

I cannot even read everything you write...blah, etc.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
I do, it's called being LAZY to say things as if you don't want to do ALL THE WORK it takes to serve me.

You are correct on that point....I would NEVER do all the "work" required to serve YOU. I would refuse. Some things are not worth it, and this is a big one definitely NOT WORTH IT!

Old 05-05-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
Where are you eating that you want to get to-go condiment containers and to-go soft drinks???? You order your meal, eat it, and if you can't finish you take a box and leave.
Chain restaurants and local restaurants. I don't go too often to fine dining if that's what you are asking, but do once in a while. If you can get it to-go if you call in a to-go order, you should be able to get your leftovers to-go. That includes having a soft drink with a to-go order. It's not any different than getting a refill to-go since the owner of the restaurant wants to give it away for free, let him or her do so. WHY NOT BE A SMART SHOPPER?

Quote:
It's not their job to make sure you have an entire extra meal to eat at home.
YES IT IS SINCE I AM PAYING A *****TIP******** TO HAVE IT ALL MY WAY AND NOT ANYONE ELSE'S WAY. I SHOULD GET WHAT *I WANT FOR MY MONEY!! IT SURE THE HELL IS THEIR JOB TO DO AS I ASK IF THEY WANT MY MONEY. That's how tipping works, DUHH!

It is their job if that's what I want in my service.

Quote:
Do you not have ketchup or RANCH at home?
I don't like ketchup. Ranch they don't serve that kind in stores. Also, why would I pay for something I can get for free in most cases from the restaurant, huh? Restaurants ranch is VERY DIFFERENT than something you can get from your local store. I know I am not eating Kraft or Wishbone when I go to Chili's for example. I can tell the TASTE DIFFERENCE.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:25 PM

155 posts, read 303,370 times
I wonder how many people have spit in your food?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
For one thing, when ordering a beverage at a sit down restaurant, you have already paid for an employee to dispense and serve the drink, and for other employees to clear the dirty glass and wash it. ones that do don't necessarily price their drinks to include not only sit down service but also the cost of the disposable to-to cup. You may think you're entitled to both, but the restaurant may very well have a policy that free refills applies to in-restaurant consumption only.
I am entitled to the to-go refills, because I am paying a TIP to get what I want in my service, which includes the to-go drink. Since refills are free, they can't LEGALLY CHARGE ME since it's on the menu they can't.

Quote:
Many sit down restaurants don't even have to-go cups
Just about ALL of them have, because they sell to-go orders, DUHHH.

Quote:
Additionally, just because something is free at McDonalds, let's say, extra pickles for your burger, that does not mean it's reasonable to ask for a large cup filled with extra pickles to take home.
I agree with you on that one. I NEVER said to take advantage of it to steal. I am saying to take what they give you for free that is free, not to ask for extra of something that isn't something that is with your order. The free refills are as much as you want while you are there. Even if it's a to-go one, you are STILL THERE. Once you have left though, I agree, I wouldn't ask for 5 ranches more. I have before asked for an extra ranch for the rest of my food, but I don't ask for 5 more or whatever to take home. That would be on the borderline of stealing.

Quote:
You have had many people here telling you that you are in the wrong with your demands.
First off, I don't have "demands", it's request since it's asked nicely.
Second of all, you sound lazy saying this.
Thirdly, I am not wrong. There's nothing wrong I have said.

Quote:
why your thinking is so different from everyone else's.
Because of people like you that don't want to do WORK. I am not lazy, you sound like you are with your attitude about that request are demands. There is no such thing as demands in restaurant service unless the customer is mean about it like yelling at you or telling you rather than asking you nicely.

Quote:
You are still the statistical outlier regarding your view of reasonable expectations in a restaurant.
So I expect to get what *I* want for *MY* money somehow that's so horrible, huh? NOTHING is unreasonable to think your server wants your money, so they will do just about anything to get it since that's why they are at a job, DUHHH, they need money. It's not unreasonable to think your server will care about you so you can care about their tip. It's just a fair give and take is what this is, that's it. WHY is that so unreasonable to think it will be a FAIR TRADE of good service to good tip?

Quote:
And I read some other posts and links that does lead me to believe you are suffering from mental illness,
NO, that's you to call my work load I give my servers "DEMANDS", because that's just lazy. Something mentally wrong with you to be that lazy.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:28 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
1. A to-go cup costs the restaurant money, more than the reusable cup that you use when you dine in. Someone who orders to-go usually isn't going to get refills, vs. someone who dined in who did get refills. So, the cost balances out.

2. Your "get everything at one time, one table at a time" idea doesn't work. Servers make different trips to several tables several times instead of getting everything at once for a reason. I might not need a refill at the same time that my husband does, for example. I might not realize that I want steak sauce until after I've tasted my steak. I might ask for a to-go box, and my husband might not realize that he needs one until later. By taking things to three or four tables at a time, servers can find out what anyone might want or can glance at their glasses to see if anyone needs a refill multiple times throughout each table's meal.

3. WHY do you speak/type like such a whiny, childish, demanding brat?

4. Why do you let petty things like this bother you so much? I forget about even the worst of restaurant experiences by the time I get back home. I can't imagine keeping this going on the Internet for more than 10 years. WHY?????

Old 05-05-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I used to have an excellent memory. I never had to repeat what the customer ordered. Many waitstaff don't especially those with experience.
So you can say you NEVER forgot anything EVER? You are perfect, right?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
I wonder how many people have spit in your food?
She does not care if they put spit or boogers on her food, because they don't make her sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates