Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 07:52 AM

393 posts, read 306,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Yet you go apes**t when Red Lobster decides to give a loyal customer who's spouse just passed away a comped meal after dining there for over 20 years and complain about rising costs due to this sincere gesture

Condiments and "free" refills over time cost the business money. You taking advantage of their generosity is costing them money. You should say "no thanks, I know the refills are free but at the risk of putting your restaurant further in debt I won't be needing a to-go cup or additional condiments"

Pot kettle black
The Red Lobster loyal customer spouse that died I didn't benefit from, the condiments and free refills I am, that's where the HUGE DIFFERENCE IS.

How am I calling the pot kettle black if I have a right to do what I do in the tip I am paying and if the restaurant wants to give it away, it's their choice that EVERYONE HAS, unlike the spouse that passed away EVERYONE didn't have a chance to get that. THAT'S NOT FAIR! UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE HERE? You want things to be unfair.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:00 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
They make out the tip to be personal when they complain all over the internet about how they had to stay up with a sick child, have lots of kids, have rent to pay, bills to pay, etc.

For me, tips are about caring. I care about people that care about me.

An example:

My husband and I went to a restaurant that on your first visit, you get a free half-order of fried pickles. So I was like OK. So at the end when the check came, we were charged for the fried pickles. So I told her nicely that the pickles were on the check and our waitress's reaction was "They didn't take it off." I just said "no", but I wanted to say and would have LOVED to have said was "You mean **YOU** didn't get someone to take it off **BEFORE** you charged us", but of course I didn't. So she takes it, no apology for an extra $3.99 on our check and it's the first item even, but yet she had time to write her "THANK YOU" on the check for her little tip points she wanted to earn, which really shows she didn't even check the bill for accuracy. Even if she did, her *REACTION* was a very BITCHY one. When she gave the check back, she didn't apologize nor did she get a manager to take a coke off the bill for our inconvenience like *I* would have if I were a server. I would have said I was "SO" SORRY about that right when I did it and after, NEVER putting blame on someone else taking it off. I know she had to get someone to take it off, but instead of her saying "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't get someone to take it off for you", she said "They didn't take it off." She was such a *****. She said "You're welcome" when we told her "thank you" for things, but no sorry for her mistakes. She also forgot my 3 sides of mayonnaise and didn't say she was sorry. She brought out the food, so she had 2 chances to have done this either before the food came or with the food.

Why we stiffed? The lack of admitting fault. "THEY" aren't responsible for taking making sure our check is 100% correct BEFORE she gave it to us, SHE WAS. It is VERY POSSIBLE she did this on purpose to get a higher tip the way she reacted, but WHO REALLY KNOWS?

She could have said "I'll get a manager to fix it" without blaming anyone. It hurts my feelings still(this happened probably maybe 2yrs ago or a year and half ago, I don't remember exactly.

It hurts that she said "THEY" didn't take it off. It hurts that she blamed someone else as if she's BLIND or ILLITERATE that she can't READ. It hurt that shouldn't couldn't have said one sorry for any of her mistakes. The main one that got her a stiff was the "they" remark. I reported to the manager "All she had to do was say she was sorry and not blamed anyone else."

That's just not me. Even since Kindergarten, had a "U" or "N" can't remember in criticism. This is WHO I am. I always get hurt with my feelings, because I am nice, I expect others to be, especially if they want your money.

For me in my heart, they aren't petty. That's just who I am. I can't help it bug me.
And when money isn't involved?

Old 05-07-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
The Red Lobster loyal customer spouse that died I didn't benefit from, the condiments and free refills I am, that's where the HUGE DIFFERENCE IS.

How am I calling the pot kettle black if I have a right to do what I do in the tip I am paying and if the restaurant wants to give it away, it's their choice that EVERYONE HAS, unlike the spouse that passed away EVERYONE didn't have a chance to get that. THAT'S NOT FAIR! UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE HERE? You want things to be unfair.
Gotcha

And you keep saying you're a "nice" person. So sad

Old 05-07-2015, 08:02 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
OP, all you have to do is tell them you're not leaving a tip, and explain why. You can do this in a note you leave on the table, or tell them when you leave. You can keep it brief by simply saying they walked away while you were still ordering, and missed half your order.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:03 AM

155 posts, read 303,464 times
Quote:
She also forgot my 3 sides of mayonnaise and didn't say she was sorry. She brought out the food, so she had 2 chances to have done this either before the food came or with the food.
I can't believe you asked for 3 sides of mayonnaise!!!! That is actually pretty awesome. Maybe I'd like going out to eat with you.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:04 AM

It would be a very interesting experience to dine with Springs1

Old 05-07-2015, 08:04 AM

393 posts, read 306,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Gotcha

And you keep saying you're a "nice" person. So sad
How is it fair to give someone else a free meal, but not everyone, huh? That's sure not nice and you know it. That's mean.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:05 AM

155 posts, read 303,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, all you have to do is tell them you're not leaving a tip, and explain why. You can do this in a note you leave on the table, or tell them when you leave. You can keep it brief by simply saying they walked away while you were still ordering, and missed half your order.
There is no reason on this earth to not give someone even a 10% tip.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:08 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
The bereaved spouse did not benefit from your extra condiments and free refills, either. What makes you more worthy than her?

I can tell you this: Red Lobster benefited far more from her and her late husband's loyal patronage over 30-some years than they did with your foul-tempered, arrogant complaints and whining and running the servers ragged.

When I think of the difference between you and her, I'm reminded of this saying: "Every one makes people happy; some by coming in, and others by leaving."

Old 05-07-2015, 08:11 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
How is it fair to give someone else a free meal, but not everyone, huh? That's sure not nice and you know it. That's mean.
com·pas·sion
kəmˈpaSHən/
noun
noun: compassion; plural noun: compassions
sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others.
"the victims should be treated with compassion"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates