Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:12 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,121 times

Advertisements

Pepper spray. All the other weapons mentioned, sticks, clubs, knives, etc., require you to get up close.

The problem with firearms is that, in order to shoot a charging dog, you basically have to kneel in front of it to shoot in a straight line. Too easy to miss while standing and shooting from above.

A pepper spray mist will stop a bear if you have one that is powerful enough. Back when I owned a dog, I always carried pepper spray in case we were attacked by another dog.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:20 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
No, the absolute best way to get bit is "fight or flight". If you initiate the attack the dog will fight back. If you run you will invoke a predator/prey response and it will chase you down. If a dog is charging, your best bet is to stand your ground and face it. If it is barking trying to warn you off, you still face it, but back off slowly until you are out of "his" territory.

But just to clarify:
- I was not talking about dogs that are trained to attack humans (police or Schutzhund or similar). I was talking about random pets wandering the neighborhood and/or protecting their yard which they think extends out into the street.
- I'm obviously not talking about extreme situations such as a 200_lb English Mastiff going after a 80_lb kid; I'm talking about an adult human facing your average 50-75_lb pet.

The one I faced down last year was a blue pit that had escaped its pen. He charged toward me, tail straight, growling aggressively. He wasn't barking or trying to warn me off, he was coming after me. I locked eyes, faced him, took a half step toward him to assume a fighting stance, and got ready for the attack. Dogs can sense emotions (fear, happiness, sadness), so I put all my energy into the emotion of menace complete with growl (yes, I growled at the dog). I was probably going to get bitten, but I was taking him down with me, and I made him know he was about to get hurt. He stopped short about 5_ft away and stared at me, sniffing. This lasted long enough for the owner to run up. If I had run away (flight), or tried to hit him first (fight), I would have gone to the hospital.

As for the "never be badder than a dog", I was technically talking about trying to appear to be the biggest bad it had ever seen. Projecting the emotion of menace. I never meant to imply I was badder than every dog out there. That said, an adult human has hands, feet, and more intelligence (well, some of us do) than dogs. You can grip, push, and grab. If it lunges for your legs grab it behind the head and shove its jaw into the ground. Pick it up and sling it around; use its own weight to throw it. It's very likely you will get bitten anyway, but if you hurt it enough it may decide you aren't worth the trouble.

*BUT*
I've been around dogs for a long time, so I know what to do. Back again to the OP's question:
Carry OC Pepper spray or a sturdy wood walking stick with a metal tip.
I was talking about triggering fight or flight in the DOG. You said to take a step towards the dog. That would trigger fight if they couldn't get away.

I'm not sure what the "emotion of menace" is. It sounds like you've watched a little too much Caesar. As for tossing it around, I doubt your average person could toss around a 50-75 pound pet. One that is biting them, quite possibly.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the way to handle it. And having trained dogs for a long time, so I also know what to do. And growling at a dog is not something that I would ever do. And would never get near enough for the dog to grab any part of my body.

I carry pepper spray, for the record.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:12 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,238,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I was talking about triggering fight or flight in the DOG. You said to take a step towards the dog. That would trigger fight if they couldn't get away.

I'm not sure what the "emotion of menace" is. It sounds like you've watched a little too much Caesar. As for tossing it around, I doubt your average person could toss around a 50-75 pound pet. One that is biting them, quite possibly.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the way to handle it. And having trained dogs for a long time, so I also know what to do. And growling at a dog is not something that I would ever do. And would never get near enough for the dog to grab any part of my body.

I carry pepper spray, for the record.
Technically, I said "half step". Meaning go from a feet-parallel stance to a one-foot-slightly-forward stance for better balance. Other than that, I agree with you that absolutely under no circumstances should you otherwise move toward the dog. As for it getting away, I'm talking about a dog that is approaching you on the street. He's moving toward you, so he can back away.

Toss around: I'm not talking about picking up a dog and throwing it like a football. More like a sack of feed or bale of hay (I've thrown both, and either can weigh more than most dogs). You aren't using your muscles to throw it. You use your weight and its weight to spin around and generate momentum which carries it away from you when you let go.

Emotion: As a dog trainer, would you agree that dogs can "sense" such emotions as fear, happiness, anger, etc.? Maybe it's smell, or demeanor, or tone of voice, or some sixth sense they have but we don't, but I believe they can. If you agree with that, would you agree that there are other emotions they can sense? Perhaps "menace" is the wrong term. Aggression? Maybe determination?

Cesar... are you talking about that quack with the TV show? Never watched it.

I also agree with you that, if the dog decides to attack, unless you are trained to handle a dog attack you will get bit. Pepper spray is the best option for preventing an attack.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:32 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
I can tell that most of the people posting have not had a pit bull come after themselves and/or their dogs. Here, in Little Mexico, they have acquired pits to keep people away from them. They tie them in their yards and often raise them for dog fighting. We have SO many dog bites here. Pit bulls charge and they are relentless in their pursuit.

As I said in my earlier post, we now have the larger stun guns with 4 hot point, 2 are sharp spikes on the end. I watch constantly when we walk.

The pit bull is not like any other breed. I have dealt with dogs coming after us, labs, Golden Retrievers, cattle dogs, huskies, etc. I had a Shar-Pei come and sort of face off with one of my dogs and since my dog showed no aggression, it simply went back to its yard. Pit bulls want to kill and you aren't going to be grabbing them by the back legs or any of the other suggestions because they are very strong and very fast.

You cannot imagine the horror seeing 2 running at you and knowing you have maybe 2 or 3 seconds before you are going to be dealing with them. Have a plan!

Old 05-21-2015, 04:35 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,331 times
The two best things are water or grabbing their back legs and pulling the dog away.

If a hose is nearby, turn it all the way up and spray until the dog/s stop. It takes less than a minute. I've seen thus used several times and used it once myself. It works. Grabbing the back legs makes the dog lose balance, thus concentration and the dog will let go quickly and you can drag it away. Again, I've seen and used this method myself. It works.

There is also something called Pet Deterrent. It emits a loud pop of air. Dogs do NOT like it. It snaps them out of the mindset and redirects their attention. It works!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GMN...5kL&ref=plSrch

The problem with beating a dog is that the dog either isn't going to react to it or it will turn it's attention to whoever is beating it. It's not going to solve the problem quickly unless you happen to hit it in a vulnerable spot, which can be harder than you think.

If an aggressive looking dog approaches you DON'T RUN. It goes against your instincts, but stand there or very slowly walk away. I had an aggressive German Shepherd approach me once. I slowly turned and walked at a snail's pace away. He followed right behind me barking for about a block until he finally turned and went back home. Pretty scary! More recently, I was walking my dogs when a lab mix darted across a busy road and got right in their faces with his hair all ruffled up. He was in a very aggressive stance. As much as I wanted to get away from him I stood there turning my dogs around trying to keep their noses away from his. His idiot owner finally come over and got him after I screamed at her for several minutes. Another close call!

If you are being attacked, lay tummy down in a tight ball with your head tucked in and your hands on the back of your neck.

(Pit bulls aren't the only dogs that might attack you. They aren't the only ones who can cause severe damage or kill you. Only 20-30 people are killed by ALL types of dogs each year.)

Old 05-21-2015, 04:37 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I can tell that most of the people posting have not had a pit bull come after themselves and/or their dogs. Here, in Little Mexico, they have acquired pits to keep people away from them. They tie them in their yards and often raise them for dog fighting. We have SO many dog bites here. Pit bulls charge and they are relentless in their pursuit.

As I said in my earlier post, we now have the larger stun guns with 4 hot point, 2 are sharp spikes on the end. I watch constantly when we walk.

The pit bull is not like any other breed. I have dealt with dogs coming after us, labs, Golden Retrievers, cattle dogs, huskies, etc. I had a Shar-Pei come and sort of face off with one of my dogs and since my dog showed no aggression, it simply went back to its yard. Pit bulls want to kill and you aren't going to be grabbing them by the back legs or any of the other suggestions because they are very strong and very fast.

You cannot imagine the horror seeing 2 running at you and knowing you have maybe 2 or 3 seconds before you are going to be dealing with them. Have a plan!

Old 05-21-2015, 07:11 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
we have problem with little male dog, about 12 pounds that like to sneak up behind you and bite. I been carrying a half saw off broom stick, and knocking the hell out of them across the nose. but there like five of them in the neighborhood and one guy thinks it funny to let his dog out the door to chase joggers

Old 05-21-2015, 07:32 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I would say if you can keep your distance that is the best way. I have seen people walking with a stick or golf club and suspect they have it in case a dog comes at them.
If you are riding a bike and attacked jump off the bike and use it as a shield.

If you discharge a firearm on the street you will be in trouble. If you kill the neighbors dog you will be in trouble.

I was out at the street this past winter shoveling snow and I heard a sound behind me. I turned to see the neighbors pitbull charging at me. I love animals but I readied the shovel to whack that dog. The neighbor called the dog back like nothing had happened, she baby talked to the dog "did you think that was daddy?" It gave me a fright and she was oblivious to it.

If the dog is locked onto someone getting them off may cause more tissue damage because some dogs shake their heads. Go for soft spots but be ready to get attacked yourself.
In a dog attack you become another animal that is trying to take something away from that dog, a pet or child and it will become even more vicious.

pepper spray, mace, bear repellent, hornet/ wasp spray.

If you get charged try to make yourself look big.
Not against an attacking dog. Or an attacking human being. Or an attacking anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.