U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-29-2015, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Self explanatory
11,514 posts, read 4,872,370 times
Reputation: 15547

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
it killed my brother after about 40 years, and to think about it I know a lot of other heavy dope smokers that had died young
So your brother is the only documented death caused by cannabis in all of history? How come the world hasn't heard about it? Sorry for your loss, but it wasn't solely cannabis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2015, 12:13 AM
 
Location: Denver
3,184 posts, read 2,627,701 times
Reputation: 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
I don't know whether pot helps with any pain or helps cure anything. I doubt it though. What I do know from 40 years of daily experience is that it destroys ambition and assertiveness. While i was a shy kid anyways, i can still remember that for sure, smoking pot kept me from taking any risk, therefore never becoming anything good. Kind of like liberals taking all risk of failure or danger out of peoples lives, nothing exceptional will ever happen. My Uncle told me that when i was 5 or 6 , i had such a good vocabulary that he thought i would become a Philadelphia Lawyer. That's the last good thing said about me.
One good thing about weed is it allows you to be very frugal. Without ambition all your needs are met, meaning it's much cheaper to stay home stoned and alone than to go out and do stuff. No Autumn fairs, no bars, no plays , no concerts, no trips to see the world, no need to add a room onto your house,nothing.
Though this may not happen to everyone, I would advise any young person to stay away from weed at all costs.
How the heck does someone do pot every day? I feel so lethargic and frankly dumb on it I would hate never being sober. It's cool for a slow afternoon with some friends at home or if your going to be sitting in a car on a road trip (not driving) or something mindless like that, but you can't nearly function like you should for everyday life like going to the grocery store.

I don't even get how people do opiates every day. It feels good to relax, but who wants to spend life always relaxed? There comes a time when a person wants to be active. There has to be something wrong with a person who does drugs every day: either depression, extreme boredom, chronic pain, something like that, because I don't think its natural for a person (knowing the issues of repeated use) to go ahead and take a drug dose after dose day in day out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2015, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Denver
3,184 posts, read 2,627,701 times
Reputation: 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I remember important things, yes, it's given me great moments of clarity that have had a profound effect on my life. It launches me into action and helps me get past the blocks I feel without it that cause me to procrastinate on things I don't want to do. I exercise, clean the house, meditate, write, treatment plan (I have come up with brilliant ideas to help my patients when under the influence)...and I always have pen and paper with me, 24/7.

That said, there have been some frustrating moments along the way when I've had the greatest epiphany ever, suddenly the meaning of life is so clear...I know the answer to life...then I reach for my pen and put it to paper to write it all down...and before I can start to write it's GONE, just gone.
Lol, it sounds like it effects us similarly. I've had that feeling often while on pot. But I really question any "insight" I gain while on it. The two "insights" I remember is that pot killed my pain and therefore I couldn't feel that I had to go to the bathroom (epiphany moment!). Actually I had just forgot that I went like 5 mins earlier. And I remember eating a subway sandwich and thinking that Dave the owner had tapped into a lost secret that humanity had discovered then lost when he mixed meatballs and marinara... A lot of it is conspiracy type thoughts and even while on pot I'll be deep in thought and kind of shake back to sober and think Moderator cut: Language, it's not even valid.

About ADD though, I have heard people have had good luck with amphetamines. Low doses that it. Supposedly it makes them able to concentrate like a normal person would. I know amphetamines can have damaging effects if taken day in day out, but I don't know how having ADD and how taking medicinal vs recreational doses changes things. That being said, I do think they over-prescribe ADD drugs because technically I think I could go in and get tested positive for ADD but I definitely don't think I need amphetamines to make me normal. I think I just need more discipline when I have ADD moments. It's not natural for someone to be completely non-ADD, on the other side of the spectrum so to speak.

Last edited by Jeo123; 09-01-2015 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2015, 08:03 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,052,949 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
How the heck does someone do pot every day? I feel so lethargic and frankly dumb on it I would hate never being sober. It's cool for a slow afternoon with some friends at home or if your going to be sitting in a car on a road trip (not driving) or something mindless like that, but you can't nearly function like you should for everyday life like going to the grocery store.

I don't even get how people do opiates every day. It feels good to relax, but who wants to spend life always relaxed? There comes a time when a person wants to be active. There has to be something wrong with a person who does drugs every day: either depression, extreme boredom, chronic pain, something like that, because I don't think its natural for a person (knowing the issues of repeated use) to go ahead and take a drug dose after dose day in day out.

Well.... I find the combination of weed an alcohol to have the effect. Weed alone? Eh, not so much. Perfect example. My buddy and I had work to do around his property up in New York. I had never done a "wake and bake." A) I work during the week, and therefore I save it for after work, and B) I don't do it on the weekends because I usually run out in the morning to run errands, and mostly I'm driving. Well, considering I was on a little "vacation" I did indeed do a "wake and bake." Hey, why the hell not? I'm on vacation! Just one or two hits, was all. We went down into town for breakfast, and then came back up to mow his lot which was a lot of weeds, and tall grass, and had to do it with a push mower. I pretty much did most of it. In fact this was after I hit the bowl one more time after breakfast. After that we put together his target stand for when we were going to shoot. Next we took a walk down to the state lands, which was quite a hike. After that we set up the targets and did some shooting. Now, his philosophy was no guns out while we were drinking. So in other words if a beer is cracked then the guns get put away. However; he had no issue with me hitting the bowl a few hours earlier because he knows I'm not a moron, and saw I wasn't getting stupid off of the stuff other than a nice hum. Finally, once the guns were put away, it was beer time. Hit the bowl again, started drinking, and that is when I start feeling lethargic.

Cannabis can be quite thereaputic, and in fact I think it can enhance some activities. Opiate. Hell no! I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2015, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Monnem Germany/ from San Diego
2,263 posts, read 2,457,594 times
Reputation: 4700
I don´t get people saying it makes them Lethargic, ok I can smoke a bit and just sit on the beach and chill but it can get me motivated too. Rock climbing, surfing, windsurfing, mountain biking, running, racing sailboats, riding dirt bikes... A good "Safety Briefing" gets me stoked. Even cleaning up my flat goes better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2015, 09:24 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,052,949 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I don´t get people saying it makes them Lethargic, ok I can smoke a bit and just sit on the beach and chill but it can get me motivated too. Rock climbing, surfing, windsurfing, mountain biking, running, racing sailboats, riding dirt bikes... A good "Safety Briefing" gets me stoked.

I suppose it depends on the strain, and how one's body chemistry is. As I said, I find that by itself, and just a puff or two from time to time gives me a nice hum, but also enhances activities. Now, mixed with a few drinks is when I tend to start getting more lethargic, but alcohol will do that to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2015, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Monnem Germany/ from San Diego
2,263 posts, read 2,457,594 times
Reputation: 4700
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I suppose it depends on the strain, and how one's body chemistry is. As I said, I find that by itself, and just a puff or two from time to time gives me a nice hum, but also enhances activities. Now, mixed with a few drinks is when I tend to start getting more lethargic, but alcohol will do that to you.
1 beer during the day and it is nap time for me :-)

I work with enough Bavarian's, 1ltr Weißbier at lunch and back to work everyday. Don´t know how they do it, training I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2015, 09:59 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,052,949 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
1 beer during the day and it is nap time for me :-)

I work with enough Bavarian's, 1ltr Weißbier at lunch and back to work everyday. Don´t know how they do it, training I guess.

No kidding. If I'm not working, I won't drink before 3 or 4PM. EXCEPT on Sunday during Browns games. But I understand what you mean. I once years back went with my boss and another coworker or 2 to lunch and we had a beer. Aftwards, I got back to my desk, sat down looked at my computer and my eyes started getting heavy. I was like "someone put on a pot of coffee." I don't get the effect after a toke or 2. But nevertheless, I wouldn't smoke before or during work. I consider that me time, and while I was doing work at my buddy's property, for me it was still a little vacation. Did I also mention I did some shooting later that day? That will ruffle a few feathers of the anti-crowd! GUNS AND SMOKIN' A LITTLE WEED, LOL!!! But seriously, I wasn't drooling all over myself or like "hey maaaaannnn, like where do the bullets go, and stuff?" "Wow man, what is this hole at the end of the gun dude?" You know. the typical "stoner" stereotypes they try to hit us with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2015, 10:12 AM
 
20,371 posts, read 16,515,961 times
Reputation: 38229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Lol, it sounds like it effects us similarly. I've had that feeling often while on pot. But I really question any "insight" I gain while on it. The two "insights" I remember is that pot killed my pain and therefore I couldn't feel that I had to go to the bathroom (epiphany moment!). Actually I had just forgot that I went like 5 mins earlier. And I remember eating a subway sandwich and thinking that Dave the owner had tapped into a lost secret that humanity had discovered then lost when he mixed meatballs and marinara... A lot of it is conspiracy type thoughts and even while on pot I'll be deep in thought and kind of shake back to sober and think Moderator cut: Language, it's not even valid.

About ADD though, I have heard people have had good luck with amphetamines. Low doses that it. Supposedly it makes them able to concentrate like a normal person would. I know amphetamines can have damaging effects if taken day in day out, but I don't know how having ADD and how taking medicinal vs recreational doses changes things. That being said, I do think they over-prescribe ADD drugs because technically I think I could go in and get tested positive for ADD but I definitely don't think I need amphetamines to make me normal. I think I just need more discipline when I have ADD moments. It's not natural for someone to be completely non-ADD, on the other side of the spectrum so to speak.
My thoughts on it are not like that, they are just as lucid and helpful after the fact as during. One example, I was having an ongoing "fight" with my best friend of 40 years, it was about 3 weeks we were mad at each other, both sure we were right. Then one day I light up, and as soon as I start thinking about it, suddenly I see it differently, an angle I hadn't seen before...and I knew instantly my position had been wrong. Once I saw it from the new angle, I couldn't believe I hadn't seen it before. I called her immediately and apologized.

I truly believe that mj opens an area of the brain we normally don't have access to. People mistakenly think it makes you "messed up" or confused, but it is actually the opposite, it truly lets me see the truth with clarity.

I am not going to do low dose or any dose of speed, it is bad for you, I am 53 and it causes cardiac issues over long term use. Pot however has no such side effects. Why would I change from a natural substance to a man-made one that has tons of side effects??

For the person who said he didn't get how people function, I do not get lethargic from pot. It launches me into action...I clean the house, walk 2 miles to the store (I do not drive high), exercise (yoga is especially nice), dance around with my iPod, etc.

Last edited by Jeo123; 09-01-2015 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Edited Quote/Fixed Tag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2015, 10:20 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,052,949 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My thoughts on it are not like that, they are just as lucid and helpful after the fact as during. One example, I was having an ongoing "fight" with my best friend of 40 years, it was about 3 weeks we were mad at each other, both sure we were right. Then one day I light up, and as soon as I start thinking about it, suddenly I see it differently, an angle I hadn't seen before...and I knew instantly my position had been wrong. Once I saw it from the new angle, I couldn't believe I hadn't seen it before. I called her immediately and apologized.

I truly believe that mj opens an area of the brain we normally don't have access to. People mistakenly think it makes you "messed up" or confused, but it is actually the opposite, it truly lets me see the truth with clarity.

I am not going to do low dose or any dose of speed, it is bad for you, I am 53 and it causes cardiac issues over long term use. Pot however has no such side effects. Why would I change from a natural substance to a man-made one that has tons of side effects??

For the person who said he didn't get how people function, I do not get lethargic from pot. It launches me into action...I clean the house, walk 2 miles to the store (I do not drive high), exercise (yoga is especially nice), dance around with my iPod, etc.

I can't argue with you here. It definitely has a mind opening effect. As I said, it can be quite thereaputic, and certainly enhances many activities. Especially when you're in nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top