U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 06:09 AM

7,457 posts, read 5,457,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Why not just build a huge yard surrounded by 20' concrete/block walls? Why lend the luxury of iron bars to prisoners? Let them sleep on the bare ground.
Wait Wouldn't that be cruel and unusual punishment? Who cares? Shouldn't be in prison.
Yep! And remember, according to so many sods, only bad people go to prison! It's not like we have a prison-industrial complex based on for-profit prisons in this nation who will do anything to keep the prisons full and the money coming in!

See also: Just World Fallacy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_hypothesis

"... This belief generally implies that in the existence of cosmic justice, destiny, divine providence, desert, stability, or order, and has high potential to result in fallacy, especially when used to rationalize people's misfortune on the grounds that they "deserve" it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 06:11 AM

7,457 posts, read 5,457,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Marijuana can be fatal if a pothead runs you over with his car because he was too stoned to see you..
Which is why cell phones, cigarettes, food and beverages, newspapers, shavers, and makeup should all be illegal. Because a distracted idiot using them while driving can kill you.

By the way, NOBODY who support making pot legal also supports allowing people to drive while stoned, but if somebody wants to get high at home, who cares? And why are my tax dollars being wasted hunting him down, putting him in prison, and then turning him into a dangerous criminal? Yeesh!

Old 06-08-2015, 07:48 AM

4,094 posts, read 2,830,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
people who are stoned don't get violent in bars or kill people on the highway.
Bull they don't kill people on the highway...

Old 06-08-2015, 07:52 AM

4,094 posts, read 2,830,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I wonder if it could help tame violent criminals.
If it could, the cartels would never commit acts of violence.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:20 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,054,564 times
Hi OP,
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'll say this much,

You'll always hear about two people fighting or killing each other over the last beer, but NEVER over the last joint.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:36 AM

733 posts, read 607,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I hear all the time that its not bad for you and you cant get any diseases or anything. But i want to hear any negative input on the subject. Or positive
I would never say it is "harmless."

I don't think it is particularly harmful in the sense of using it for either medicinal or recreational use.

Even if harmful in some ways, I feel people should be able to choose for themselves, as it is a mild substance.

A NEGATIVE few are yet aware of is that for some people, it can cause Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS). Chronic use, heavy use, or susceptible individuals can get this. Please google it. Main symptoms: Very bad "colicky" pain (10/10 on pain scale); vomiting; seeking very hot baths or showers to alleviate symptoms. Few E.R. doctors are yet aware of this and often must be told to research it. The intelligent ones will run a quick Google search and act upon the findings. If you or a loved one has CHS, print out and bring information about it with you.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:56 AM

2,774 posts, read 3,686,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Really? Provide some links proving so.
The entire MJ topic is on par with anti-gun propaganda because of knee jerk reactions.
Heavy MJ users experience psychological withdrawal symptoms, and heavy sustained use has been shown to cause physiological changes in various brain structures. The rate of addiction is much lower than most other illegal drugs, but MJ meets all requirements to be considered an addictive drug.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...uana-addictive
Regular marijuana habit changes your brain, study says - CNN.com
Long-term effects of marijuana use on the brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Bull they don't kill people on the highway...
I did not mean to imply that no one has caused a wreck while under the influence of MJ ever in human history. MJ use does slow reaction time and impair judgement, and use while driving is DUI and illegal. What I meant in my post was to compare typical MJ use to other typical drug use, such as alcohol. In general, people who are stoned don't kill people on the highway.

That said, I have no doubt that you can pick any substance on the planet and find where someone has killed someone else while under the influence of that substance.

Example: I was riding home from a job site a while back when I realized the driver was starting to weave a bit. It turned out he had been suffering from the local pollen during the trip and he had accidentally left his normal allergy medicine at home. So he took two Benadryl just before we left, not realizing that the active ingredient is the same one used in many OTC sleep aids. Simple enough, we swapped and I drove. If I hadn't been there he could have fallen asleep and killed someone. Would you then say something like, "Bull [Benadryl users] don't kill people on the highway..."?

Old 06-08-2015, 12:57 PM

13,022 posts, read 12,480,451 times
One thing I find interesting is that marijuana has legitimate medical applications, whereas as far as I know, tobacco and alcohol have none. Yet they are available to any adult over the age of 21.

I live where pot is legal. I keep a stash of edibles that I use almost exclusively to deal with occasional sleep issues. I sometimes get sinus headaches that can keep me up for days, and apart from that, I sometimes get insomnia due to anxiety issues (usually triggered by work, lol). So I eat an edible and get to actually sleep. OTC drugs leave me feeling like complete crap the next day, but the MJ edibles let me get a semblance of quality sleep and I wake up feeling ok as long as I've hydrated.

I know several people who use it to treat a variety of ailments (including MS) pretty effectively. The legal, traditional prescription drugs are often harsher on their systems and come with side effects.

Interestingly, some guy on my FB page posted a rant about how dangerous marijuana smoking is a while back and how selfish people are who want it to be legalized. He's not a close friend, but I almost went off on him and also almost unfriended him. It was insulting and beyond ignorant.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:37 PM

2,709 posts, read 3,140,145 times
Nothing is "totally harmless". Not even food.

However, I happen to think that alcohol is more dangerous and addictive - but I still enjoy it socially.
There is evidence that social drinkers are more healthy than teetotalers.

There are people who benefit from the relaxing effects of marijuana. That should be their business and not the governments. If my neighbor wants to watch a Indians game on a Sunday while smoking a joint - it's not my problem.

Is it good for his lungs? No. But a series of beers wouldn't be good for his liver, either.

Not everything we do in life is without any harm. However, people need to make their own rational choices.
Pleasure is important too.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:00 PM

15,908 posts, read 9,657,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityBassWorks View Post
The only effect of marijuana I have ACTUALLY SEEN is that it tends to make the majority of uses less motivated and lazy. I live in Portland, and though I do not partake in the huff huff I have a lot of friends who do and it has this effect on all of them except one, who gets super hyper from it somehow.....

EDIT: And yes I know 2 people I would definitely consider addicted to it (as in they couldn't go a day without it unless it was forced....)

I guess it depends on the strain of cannabis that your friends are obtaining, how much they've smoked, as well as their body chemistries, in which everyone is different. From personal experience, there has been some that I've smoked and I'm couch locked and don't want to do anything, and others where I want to go for a walk, clean the house, work in the garden, ect...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates