U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 11:30 AM

678 posts, read 542,582 times

Advertisements

I hear all the time that its not bad for you and you cant get any diseases or anything. But i want to hear any negative input on the subject. Or positive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 12:20 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,825,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I hear all the time that its not bad for you and you cant get any diseases or anything. But i want to hear any negative input on the subject. Or positive
I certainly don't maintain that it's harmless - I for one certainly don't smoke it, or anything else. After all, inhaling particulated burnt matter is generally a bad idea.

But I would maintain that the benefits from disincentivizing marijuana use through criminalization are far outweighed by the costs. And as far as legality goes, that's really all that concerns me.

Last edited by Unsettomati; 06-07-2015 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: left out a word

Old 06-07-2015, 12:25 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,678,723 times
It is not "harmless", but neither is it as bad as what the anti-drug-types say.

1) You are filling your lungs with smoke (ash, various chemicals). This is never ever good in the long term.

2) While the psychoactive effects have proven to be mostly harmless to adults with moderate use, several studies have proven that it can be detrimental to brain development with extensive use. Especially in youth (pre age 25 or so) whose brains are still developing.

3) It is addictive, but only after regular use. It isn't as addictive as alcohol or nicotine, both of which are completely legal for adults. The psychoactive effects aren't as dangerous as alcohol; people who are stoned don't get violent in bars or kill people on the highway.

Last edited by jwkilgore; 06-07-2015 at 12:40 PM..

Old 06-07-2015, 01:26 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,269,504 times
I agree, that it isn't totally harmless, but it's not nearly as bad as the government says it is, nor is it as bad as alcohol, cigarettes or prescription meds. The most physical damage I've heard of is developing a cough and that is only if you smoke it. Some brain development can be hindered in youth users who smoke a lot. No one has ever developed cancer or died from marijuana use or overdose.

It's addiction rate is extremely low. If I remember correctly, only 11% of users become addicted compared to 25% of alcohol users (I may be a bit off on that number, but I know alcohol addiction is much higher than cannabis).

I think legalization is good for many reasons. 1) No one deserves to go to jail over pot, it's just silly. 2) Jailing marijuana users costs A LOT of money. 3) if it is legal, the cartel has no one to sell it to 4) there are many known medical benefits to marijuana. 5) look at the money Colorado is making off of taxing it!

It will happen across the board. Just a matter of win.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:19 PM

6,555 posts, read 3,066,602 times
Almost nothing you put in your body is harmless. Eating, drinking, or otherwise consuming anything in excess is bad for you, no matter what it is. In terms of legal status, the fact that it has relatively minor negative side effects (compared to some legal substances especially) and even has some positive ones, it's quite absurd for it to be illegal.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:28 PM

7,456 posts, read 5,444,530 times
Nobody says it's "harmless."

The opposition to keeping it illegal comes about for a few reasons:

1) The idiocy of putting people in prison because they chose to use a comparatively mild drug that harms nobody but themselves. So, because of this idiotic policy, we take harmless people and make them into career criminals by putting them in prison. Yeah - what a way to spend tax dollars.

2) The hypocrisy of it all. Marijuana isn't any more or less "harmless" than alcohol or tabacoo, but for various goofy cultural reasons, we have no shortage of "righteous 'mericans!" demanding to put those "potheads in prison" - before they go out to get drunk or buy a pack of cigarettes. It's just two-faced BS.

3) This nonsense hasn't worked in the past. We tried it once - it was called Prohibition - and it was a complete failure and did nothing but squander resources on lame attempts to enforce morality while at the same time giving real criminal elements a product to sell for easy money.

Keep pot illegal is nothing but idiocy at this point - it wastes tax dollars, creates actual criminals, feeds the drug trade, and is hypocritical to top it off.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:34 PM

2,638 posts, read 1,740,198 times
Anything that is abused can be harmful!

Old 06-07-2015, 04:59 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,678,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Nobody says it's "harmless."
No, many people claim it is "harmless". Mostly users trying to get other people to try it, or users trying to justify their own use. Perhaps you meant something like, "No scientist or politician says it's 'harmless'."

Old 06-07-2015, 05:16 PM

7,456 posts, read 5,444,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
No, many people claim it is "harmless". Mostly users trying to get other people to try it, or users trying to justify their own use. Perhaps you meant something like, "No scientist or politician says it's 'harmless'."
Ah, no - okay, in most cases I've seen that phrase "harmless" used, they mean "it is not causing any harm to anyone else," which is technically correct.

Sure, now and then you'll find nuts who think the stuff is literally harmless, but I've found those who feel that way about alcohol and smoking, so it is not unique to pot.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:23 PM

6,081 posts, read 7,030,845 times
Is water harmless? Too much of anything is harmful. Having water at the wrong time and using it in a stupid way is harmful.

So I'm guessing that if an adult uses marijuana occasionally, and while quietly at home, it would not be a problem to the user or to the rest of the public.

I have not used it, but it seems like so many things in our lives, being stupid can make a not-necessarily-harmful activity into a harmful one. As long as you can control stupid, it can be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates