Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 03:37 PM

3,840 posts, read 2,201,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Is there a point where there is too much people? What is that number? 10 billion? 20 billion? 50 billion? 100 billion?
We'll be fine. People aren't having kids anymore. We're just barely at the replacement level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 04:06 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,665,222 times
i think gravity will support the Earth just fine regardless of the number

Old 06-15-2015, 04:39 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,101,052 times
So many misconceptions here.

1. Population growth is due to lower death rates, not higher birth rates. As life spans increase, the world will become more and more crowded.

Look at it this way. If you have a room where one person arrives every minute and leaves after 30 minutes in the room. At the 30 minute mark you will have 30 people in the room and population levels off. At the 31 minute mark, allow each person to stay 45 minutes instead of 30 minutes. What happens to the population? It grows, not because the rate at which people enter the room increased, but because everyone started to stay longer. If we increase the amount of time that each person stays, the room will become overcrowded.

Global fertility rates are at an all time low, but the longer people live, the more we will have on the earth at any given time.

2. At the present growth rate, the world adds 1 billion people every 12-14 years. The world hit 7 billion in 2011. It will hit 8 billion by 2025, 9 billion by the early 2040s. This will happen. There is this thing called demographic momentum (or sometimes population momentum). This is the phenomenon that population will continue to grow for a period of time even after a country reaches zero population growth.

Let's make another analogy. If you are speeding along in a car and you slam on the brakes, your wheels will stop turning, but the car's momentum will keep the car moving forward for a period of time before it comes to a stop.

3. We have a very precarious food production system.
-- We eat a lot of petroleum. Presently our food production system uses massive quantities of fuel to produce and transport food across the world. As demand increases for petroleum, the cost of food will rise.
-- We use a lot of chemicals (pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers) that have degraded our farmland.
-- We are losing a lot farmland to urban sprawl, desertification, and other issues.

I don't know what our carrying capacity is, but we are headed to 12 billion, a number we will reach by 2100.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:14 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,194,766 times
Its not a question of how many of us can crawl the earth but how many without sacrificing the places and creatures which also own the planet. I wouldn't want to be born to a planet devoid of nature and the animals which live in deserted places. Nor would I wish to live trapped like a sardine in a can. So the better question is how many of us can live on this planet without destroying all that's worthy of its diversity.

And food supply will be the thing which stops growth in its tracks. We can't keep feeding our species in the same way for too long or we'll face natures correction.

The plagues hit europe when it had more people than ever before and they were perfectly crowded together. Europe and much of the world was no longer overcrowded after and there are lands there still gone natural which had been lived upon before. Maybe it will be plague or maybe nature which will do a quick correction in the count of humans on the earth. Yellowstone could wipe out much of north america all by itself, and over time make the sky dark enough to leave only pockets even in distant places.

When resources start lagging behind bodies, man or beast, something happens to even thinkgs our again.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:55 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,897,676 times
Space isn't the issue.There's plenty of space yet left expand into, though I hate to picture a planet where nearly every nook and cranny is developed. The issue is resources and the ability to distribute it to the masses. I think the single biggest factor that will effectively cap world population will be the availability of fresh water, both for drinking and for food production.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:24 PM

88,229 posts, read 84,159,421 times
Quote:
Is there a point where there is too much people? What is that number? 10 billion? 20 billion? 50 billion? 100 billion?
It doesn't matter. We'll be colonizing Mars.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:08 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,658,582 times
We are getting near the breaking point. I think one has to look at resoucres, not just space. In many places we have plenty of space to hold one or more billions of people.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:22 AM

1,297 posts, read 1,220,589 times
I'm 19 now, so it better be enough for my children when I'm married and into my career (hopefully neurosurgery)! I want to have four children.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:23 AM

563 posts, read 521,619 times
Default The Earth is Full, Please Come Back Later

Quote:
The Earth cannot sustain those on it now. I would say, the most the Earth can add, at this point is 277 people. Period. Everybody just stop what you are doing. We have to wait for some others to check out before anyone new can arrive. Its not that hard. The Earth is like a hotel/restaurant. New people can come in after some check out. Makes sense. No?

Old 06-16-2015, 02:40 AM

563 posts, read 521,619 times
Default Enough is enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
American's occupy less than 4% of the arable land - so it's not overcrowded here.
Can we fence it in, now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates