Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 11:33 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
So with all of these people that the earth can sustain would you be happy if the entire world looked like NYC? Again, it may be able to sustain more people but comfortably? WHat about California...they are running out of water as we speak. The more people we have the faster our resources will become depleted. People don't care about taking care of the earth as it is, can you imagine what it would look like with that many more people? The movie Wall-E comes to mind.
It's kinda crazy that they have the Pacific Ocean full of water but no access to the water because of salt.

There are competitions solving that issue as we speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 04:33 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
It's kinda crazy that they have the Pacific Ocean full of water but no access to the water because of salt.

There are competitions solving that issue as we speak.
Technology does not solve everything. Technology is one of the big factors in why our population is growing as it is. So basically you are saying that technology should fix what technology created. I am not disagreeing with you that we have oceans full of water that we cannot drink but were we ever really meant to drink it? Once we tap into the oceans and they start diminishing we can start building beach front properties on the new acquired land allowing room for even more people? Look at fracking...in a couple hundred years the ground we stand on will be supported by fracking fluid so to speak if they continue to do what they are doing. The list goes on and on, but again the original question is about how many can the earth handle, not the quality of life once it reaches that point correct?

Old 06-19-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Technology does not solve everything. Technology is one of the big factors in why our population is growing as it is. So basically you are saying that technology should fix what technology created. I am not disagreeing with you that we have oceans full of water that we cannot drink but were we ever really meant to drink it? Once we tap into the oceans and they start diminishing we can start building beach front properties on the new acquired land allowing room for even more people? Look at fracking...in a couple hundred years the ground we stand on will be supported by fracking fluid so to speak if they continue to do what they are doing. The list goes on and on, but again the original question is about how many can the earth handle, not the quality of life once it reaches that point correct?
Technology is information.

The water we drink is necessary for biology, once we consume and release it, it does not become nothing. Mass cannot be created or destroyed, it does not become oxygen and hydrogen again unless we put it through electrolysis.

Any first world country, the citizens that have all their basic needs met will have max 2 children per woman per capita. The only reason that we see some areas in the US with a positive birth rate is immigration. The models predict that the entire world human population will hit 10 billion and stop growing because of access to family planning, increasing age of consent, access to education for women, decreasing war and some basic human rights.

We drink ocean water that the sun evaporates and then condenses over land. It's a cycle. We are definitely meant to drink Ocean water.

Fracking is an issue due to access of energy. There are more responsible energy choices for sure.....

Technology affords people, even the worlds poorest access to some of the most important resources.

Farming Technology
Information Technology
Access to clean water
Access to education
Access to necessary materials
Access to medicines

The list goes on an on.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:27 AM

I think that if we must use technology to survive than at that point the world is no longer able to sustain us as it already gave us everything she had and we used it up.

I agree about the process of evaporation and condensing, was more leaning toward the ocean as our only drinking source because we used up everything else.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I think that if we must use technology to survive than at that point the world is no longer able to sustain us as it already gave us everything she had and we used it up.

I agree about the process of evaporation and condensing, was more leaning toward the ocean as our only drinking source because we used up everything else.
The only necessary basic element is energy and our access to it. The elements we need to function are easily supplied (Just think of all the vitamins and protein supplements out there). Humanity must think of ways and demand ways to be sustainable. We need to keep building our information database, and give lots of people access to it. Lots of people with access to information will solve more and more problems than ever before, and we need to expand into the universe. Carl Sagan showed us how small we are with his "Pale Blue Dot" remark as he turned the voyager around to take a picture of the earth. It would take very little from the Universe to wipe us out, destroy the earth, and that really puts things into perspective.

Population issue is not an issue, the earth is bathed in lots and lots of energy, we just need minds thinking of how to harness and give access to everyone and ensure our ecology is healthy.

I am sure that anyone would agree that technology has helped more people than harmed, because in past times, peace was a luxury and muscle, testosterone and privilege committed unimaginable crimes with impunity.

I like the accountability of our times. I like the relative peace we are afforded, we just need to spread it.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:03 AM

27 Images That Prove That We Are In Danger. I’m Speechless |

Old 06-22-2015, 10:03 AM

Humanity must think of ways and demand ways to be sustainable. We need to keep building our information database, and give lots of people access to it. Lots of people with access to information will solve more and more problems than ever before.

The key is resource management.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:37 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,043 times
Not even this population what we have now because countries are not interested to protect our drinking waters, food producing lands and healthy air.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:00 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
We have to find a way to ensure that reproduction becomes an educated choice rather than necessitated or plainly ignorant choice.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:15 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,401,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I'm 19 now, so it better be enough for my children when I'm married and into my career (hopefully neurosurgery)! I want to have four children.
Don't breed them, if you can't feed them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates