Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:58 PM

357 posts, read 222,196 times

Advertisements

Ok so my other half has been going on and on about this since he read about it a few days ago- he is amazed. Apparently there is something called a 3D printer and they only cost about $300 - $400 dollars BUT they have made guns and gun parts which is legal in US and they have actually made human tissue that could be used for skin, limbs, and even organs. Heres a few of the articles but if this is true imagine the possibilities here.

The World's First 3D Printed Beating Artificial Heart Cells - 3D Printing

The Bullet That Could Make 3-D Printed Guns Practical Deadly Weapons | WIRED

What do you think ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 11:55 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,238,589 times
3D printing is a generic term that describes the process of laying down a semi-liquid material in precise 3D patterns and having it solidify in a specific shape. Most 3D printing is with polymers (plastics), but with different printers you can "print" anything from metals to fancy chocolates or even living tissue. The cheaper ones only work with small soft plastic parts. A living-tissue printer would cost a teensy bit more than $400.

Also, in order for a 3D gun to be legal, you still must comply with all Federal laws pertaining to firearm manufacture, including the mandate that all firearms must be detectable by airport screening devices (simply insert a chunk of metal).

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 06-17-2015 at 12:07 PM..

Old 06-17-2015, 01:05 PM

258 posts, read 157,433 times
Lots of hullaballoo about the gun issue. Heck, you can already build non-ID'd AR clones from parts, so it's mostly a matter of expense.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:15 PM

The hullaballoo is more over size and concealability. Yes, you can build a non-ID'd AR clone from an 80% lower, but it's still a full-size AR clone with lots of metal parts. People have been able to construct a polymer handgun before, but doing so required casting and machining skills and equipment.

The worry over the 3D printers is that any extremist yay-hoo with a few hundred dollars and an internet connection can print the parts for a totally non-detectable and fully concealable polymer handgun. It would be illegal, but when has that ever stopped anyone from killing someone they didn't like?

Old 06-17-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
The hullaballoo is more over size and concealability. Yes, you can build a non-ID'd AR clone from an 80% lower, but it's still a full-size AR clone with lots of metal parts. People have been able to construct a polymer handgun before, but doing so required casting and machining skills and equipment.

The worry over the 3D printers is that any extremist yay-hoo with a few hundred dollars and an internet connection can print the parts for a totally non-detectable and fully concealable polymer handgun. It would be illegal, but when has that ever stopped anyone from killing someone they didn't like?
Assuming that you could build a completely non-metallic handgun, how is this problem different than CNC?

I think the stronger argument against home machining or 3d printing would be against modifications for full-auto, but that cow is long out of the barn.

Generally, I'd say that density is a harder problem from a concealment standpoint.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon X Seaworthy View Post
Assuming that you could build a completely non-metallic handgun, how is this problem different than CNC?
Multiple completely non-metallic 3D-printed handguns have been designed and tested. They are extremely low-use (only a few shots), and you risk killing yourself by firing one, but they exist.

As I stated earlier, this is different from CNC because CNC machines are more expensive and require skill to program and operate. Building a gun with one would take time and training.

I have no machining experience, but I could easily purchase a 3D printer, download the plans, and build a non-detectable handgun in my basement in a matter of days. So could some extremists whacko who decides on the spur of the moment that the president needs to die.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:51 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,269,198 times
I think most people can get a gun by easier means.

Is there something debatable here? Technology will always overcome the standard practices.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:59 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,004 times
I have a milling machine (prototrak type) and lathe in my garage that I do tons of gunsmithing on, it's my bread and butter for a little side income.

There is almost nothing I can not do in my garage already.

3D printers don't offer anything new they just cut out the middle man (a machinist or engineer.) But the majority of guys who want their guns modified are too lazy to learn the 3d modeling so they will go to a friend or a middle man anyway.

Or I can go to a "second amendment rights friendly" forum and have a full auto weapon by the end of the day for the right price.

In a convoluted way I think the OP is debating that 3D printers are bad because we can print gun parts but good because we can make life saving medical parts and now tissues.

3D printing is nothing but good.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:33 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times
I would like to print a kidney for my husband...thank you!

Old 06-18-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Multiple completely non-metallic 3D-printed handguns have been designed and tested. They are extremely low-use (only a few shots), and you risk killing yourself by firing one, but they exist.

As I stated earlier, this is different from CNC because CNC machines are more expensive and require skill to program and operate. Building a gun with one would take time and training.

That strikes me as a difference that is no difference. Improvements in computerized control of stepper motors and (more importantly) lower cost will put machines that remove material into the same hands as those that buy machines that accrete it. Setup will become simpler over time.

Basically (and obviously), the ability of home hobbyists to fabricate is going to go up and up. I think that the 3d printing = bad guns is a false equivalence,although it makes for good newsprint. The genie is out of the bottle in any case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates