Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 06:45 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I'm thinking of a Mexican slang word that means "go!" or "now!" but I can't remember what the word was. If someone says "say when" they mean for you to tell them exactly when to spring into action. And the word I'm thinking of means basically "it's time to spring into action." Does anyone know what word I mean?
"Vaya" or "Andale' "?

Hispanic & Fluent in Spanish but Mexican slang always throws me for a loop !

Old 10-19-2016, 07:02 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Orale?

Old 10-19-2016, 07:39 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Let me count the ways

Quote:
I'm thinking of a Mexican slang word that means "go!" or "now!" but I can't remember what the word was. If someone says "say when" they mean for you to tell them exactly when to spring into action. And the word I'm thinking of means basically "it's time to spring into action." Does anyone know what word I mean?
Or ¡Dale! or ¡Vámonos! or ¡Échale! (possibly vulgar) There are lots of these, you might consult one of the online Mexican Spanish slang listings if none of the suggested are what you're looking for.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:53 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
This is a confusing description.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:06 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Orale?
Yes, I think that was the word. Does anyone know how it was derived and how it means what it means?

Old 10-20-2016, 07:17 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Quote:
Yes, I think that was the word. Does anyone know how it was derived and how it means what it means?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orale

Quote:
The term has varying connotations, including an affirmation that something is impressive, an agreement with a statement (akin to "word") or distress. According to the Brief Dictionary of Mexicanisms found on the web site of the Mexican Academy of the Language,[1] the word’s origin is a shortening of “ahora”, meaning “now”, with the added suffix “-le”, which is a grammatical expletive...
I know it's just wikipedia but I'm inclined to go along with it.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:23 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
It never occurred to me that a Mexican slang word would be explained in Wikipedia.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:34 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Does anyone have knowledge about the difference between Mexican's spanish vs. Spain's spanish language? Specifically, do they sound the same, or are they very different?

I ask this because some Mexican spanish language seems uncultured and ugly, for lack of a better term.
I'd like to listen to Spaniard's language and compare it to the Mexican variety. Not to be cruel, but Mexican spanish does not sound attractive to me, at least what I hear on the radio.
Which "Mexican Spanish?" Mexico is a very diverse country with many native language groups, many of whom speak Spanish as a second language.

The Spanish of Northern Mexico (not the border towns) is among the beautiful. Nicer than most Spanish in Spain and much better than the Spanish in the Caribbean.

But we love what we are familiar with and that which we connect to, no?

S.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:06 AM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Those places have long histories, which matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Which "Mexican Spanish?" Mexico is a very diverse country with many native language groups, many of whom speak Spanish as a second language.

That's an important point. Spain is geographically divided up by mountains, rivers, & land that is hard to live on or cross. Mexico, Argentina, Columbia, Brazil - several of the larger countries in Latin America have similar geographical issues to contend with, plus jungle, disease, & larger native populations (non-Christian, non-Western) as well.

Spain was overrun by Islam for near eight centuries, & Europe suffered successive waves of conquerors, settlers, & people fleeing one or the other - each with their own language & culture. Latin America was invaded by Spanish & Portuguese conquerors, the first wave were mostly adventurers & military. The larger L. American countries, especially those with diverse populations either on the ground already or with large doses of immigration - don't have a single version of Spanish (or Portuguese) that all the inhabitants of a given country speak (nor does Spain, for that matter. In the case of Spain, calling one dialect Spanish is merely convention - convenient for people in a hurry, but the name conceals far more than it reveals. I don't know if that's true for Portugal or not.)

Old 10-23-2016, 09:27 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,617,674 times
A good example:

Spanish from Spain: English from UK.
Spanish from Mexico: English from Australia.

Well, Spanish from entire Latin America: like English from Australia.

I mean, different accents by region, but 98% the same language (unless bolivians and peruvians which added some indigenous words).

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
That's an important point. Spain is geographically divided up by mountains, rivers, & land that is hard to live on or cross. Mexico, Argentina, Columbia, Brazil - several of the larger countries in Latin America have similar geographical issues to contend with, plus jungle, disease, & larger native populations (non-Christian, non-Western) as well.

Spain was overrun by Islam for near eight centuries, & Europe suffered successive waves of conquerors, settlers, & people fleeing one or the other - each with their own language & culture. Latin America was invaded by Spanish & Portuguese conquerors, the first wave were mostly adventurers & military. The larger L. American countries, especially those with diverse populations either on the ground already or with large doses of immigration - don't have a single version of Spanish (or Portuguese) that all the inhabitants of a given country speak (nor does Spain, for that matter. In the case of Spain, calling one dialect Spanish is merely convention - convenient for people in a hurry, but the name conceals far more than it reveals. I don't know if that's true for Portugal or not.)
Southern Spain.

The maximum the arabs lasted on Spain were 7 centuries and only in Granada. In most of Spain, about 3-4 centuries. Something comparable to the more recent Ottoman rule in Eastern and Southeastern Europe. As far as I know, they never reached the north of Spain. In this gif appears the peak, which lasted no more than 1 century (quite precise GIF which shows the year and the situation):

At the end of the 12th century just half of what today is Andalucía lasted as arab kingdom.

Last edited by ase42dv; 10-23-2016 at 09:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates