Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 02:10 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i drink beer heavily every day
Your liver may get pretty upset with you at some point in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 02:20 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
The title of this thread has led me to ask this question. Alcohol Impairs Judgement.

I grew up in the Nancy Reagan "Just say no to drugs" era, watched my dad habitually drink himself to sleep every night, heard anecdotes about people getting stupid and embarrassing themselves under the influence of alcohol, and in my impressionable young years I was taught that alcohol kills brain cells.

So I've never been remotely interested to try any drugs or alcohol.

Now having lived in the real world, I'm 39 now, I witness all around me people drinking and doing drugs every single day, yet showing up to work in good form, and taking time for friends & family. From what I see, chemical use seems to be perfectly common, just kept on the down-low because it's illegal. I mean even young teens are doing it.

So please tell me, are drugs & alcohol really bad? Do they really kill brain cells? Or do they enhance life? Make life more bearable & enjoyable?

I hope you aren't serious!

Old 07-05-2015, 02:38 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I hope you aren't serious!
I spoke my own truth.

Last edited by Zelpha; 07-05-2015 at 03:33 PM..

Old 07-05-2015, 02:51 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
difference between being addicted and recreation use. yes drugs and alcohol do effect your judgment, however that is why people do them, to get away from the problems of life or to simply get a buzz on for a few hours and relax. the hard part is for people who drugs and alcohol destroys their lives.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:21 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
The title of this thread has led me to ask this question. Alcohol Impairs Judgement.

I grew up in the Nancy Reagan "Just say no to drugs" era, watched my dad habitually drink himself to sleep every night, heard anecdotes about people getting stupid and embarrassing themselves under the influence of alcohol, and in my impressionable young years I was taught that alcohol kills brain cells.

So I've never been remotely interested to try any drugs or alcohol.

Now having lived in the real world, I'm 39 now, I witness all around me people drinking and doing drugs every single day, yet showing up to work in good form, and taking time for friends & family. From what I see, chemical use seems to be perfectly common, just kept on the down-low because it's illegal. I mean even young teens are doing it.

So please tell me, are drugs & alcohol really bad? Do they really kill brain cells? Or do they enhance life? Make life more bearable & enjoyable?
A small minority of people can't handle chemicals. They have no "off" switch and use until they drop, or become addicted and can't stop. The majority of people can dope and cope just fine. Not everyone who drinks becomes an alcoholic. Not every girl who snorts a line becomes a crack *****. Some do, which is where all the scare stories come from.

Generally, it is wise to avoid psychoactive chemicals, even caffeine. Certainly if you find yourself drinking 10 cups of coffee a day or killing a six pack every night, it's time to take a break. Very few people can use tobacco moderately enough that it doesn't harm their health.

Some psychoactive drugs have very low abuse potential. Psychedelics like LSD, mescaline(peyote) and psilocybin are pretty much self-limiting, in that you can't get high the second day. Generally people just take one or two 'trips' and report an improvement to their mental and emotional health afterwards. Even there, if the person is prone to schizophrenia, the drug can drive them right over the edge.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:44 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,784 times
Are you serious, OP? You said you watched your dad drink himself to sleep every night and you have to ask that?
There are some folks who are not alcoholic and can handle their one or two drinks. They do not have the desire or compulsion to drink one drink after the other like alcoholics do. Does alcohol impair judgement? Absolutely. Just look at all the people who have been killed by drunk drivers.

What you see when people are able to tie one on the night before and come in to work is not unusual. It is nothing new. My dad, an alcoholic, did that. There are plenty of people who are functioning alcoholics and can still work and do their routine things and are able to "pull it off", for a while at least.

Good for you that you are staying away from drugs and alcohol. I am sorry that you felt the need to come and post this nonsense:
"So please tell me, are drugs & alcohol really bad? Do they really kill brain cells? Or do they enhance life? Make life more bearable & enjoyable?"
I feel that you already know the answer to that and maybe just a little on the bored side and are trying to get some "action" started and people riled up when there really is no need.

I lost my dad, my grandfather and other relatives to alcoholism. I am a recovering alcoholic myself and do not take this kind of "tomfoolery" lightly. For an alcoholic, alcohol is bad, does kill brain cells, made my life a living hell and not more bearable and enjoyable.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:42 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebyanothername View Post
Are you serious, OP? You said you watched your dad drink himself to sleep every night and you have to ask that?
There are some folks who are not alcoholic and can handle their one or two drinks. They do not have the desire or compulsion to drink one drink after the other like alcoholics do. Does alcohol impair judgement? Absolutely. Just look at all the people who have been killed by drunk drivers.

What you see when people are able to tie one on the night before and come in to work is not unusual. It is nothing new. My dad, an alcoholic, did that. There are plenty of people who are functioning alcoholics and can still work and do their routine things and are able to "pull it off", for a while at least.

Good for you that you are staying away from drugs and alcohol. I am sorry that you felt the need to come and post this nonsense:
"So please tell me, are drugs & alcohol really bad? Do they really kill brain cells? Or do they enhance life? Make life more bearable & enjoyable?"
I feel that you already know the answer to that and maybe just a little on the bored side and are trying to get some "action" started and people riled up when there really is no need.

I lost my dad, my grandfather and other relatives to alcoholism. I am a recovering alcoholic myself and do not take this kind of "tomfoolery" lightly. For an alcoholic, alcohol is bad, does kill brain cells, made my life a living hell and not more bearable and enjoyable.
I am sincerely sorry for the loved ones you've lost to alcoholism. So proud of you for recovering & conquering every day.

I do feel naive on this topic because I've truly never tried any mind-altering substance and never plan to. I look around me and see that everyone else has at the very least dabbled in some sort of drug at some point, seemingly coming out more experienced and wiser for it. They go out at night, they have fun together, and I'm excluded because I'm not interested in chemicals. I simply will never do that to myself, and so there are experiences I've never had and never will have.

So I just had to ask to find the general concensus of the matter. Am I missing out, or am I fine the way I am...I guess I'm fine staying away from the stuff. I have addictive genes & tendencies anyway. I feel certain that drugs & alcohol would clobber me.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:06 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
1. For those who like the effects of alcohol, it enhances life and makes it more enjoyable. As the heroin addicts say in Trainspotting: "What people forget is the pleasure of it all! We're stupid but we're not that F'n stupid!"

(Of course we are talking personal use and not effects on others.)

2. It only kills braincells in heavy amounts, not moderate to light drinking.

Myths About Alcohol Debunked - Supercompressor.com

(There are many other sources but this one also has other info applicable to the topic.)

Old 07-06-2015, 03:37 AM

605 posts, read 491,411 times
Drinking beer is honestly my favorite pastime in life. I'm 29; we'll see where it ends.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:49 AM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
Drinking beer is honestly my favorite pastime in life. I'm 29; we'll see where it ends.
Won't end well.

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates