Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:46 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
personally i'll put the blame on Al Capone for getting this whole ball of wax started.
You know, some 50s year old former Latin King keeps going on to me about how Al Capone is the "true founder" of the Latin Kings gang.

I couldn't find any connection from him to it. He was part of the Five Points gang but that was in Manhattan and it died down. He also tells me when Latin Kings were 1st founded, they were originally called "Imperial Kings" but I still could not find anything on the Internet about it, but it's still possible.

And even on his Wikipedia article, it doesn't say he was the founder of anything.

But preclusion aside, sometimes I wonder if the Latin Kings make Chicago so popular, as we are their birth place. This past summer there been a whole FBI raid of Latin Kings in Florida, and recent years in Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 08:55 PM

387 posts, read 356,292 times
Crime is up in most cities this year for whatever reason....it's not just Chicago that is experiencing an uptick in violent crime.....As for why do the right wingers pick so much on Chicago....You know the answer to that question....OBUMMMMMMAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-10-2015, 03:30 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Crime is up in most cities this year for whatever reason....it's not just Chicago that is experiencing an uptick in violent crime.....As for why do the right wingers pick so much on Chicago....You know the answer to that question....OBUMMMMMMAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you have to be doing something right to get the right wingers picking on you. the two biggest punching bags for the lunatic right wing fringe are Chicago and San Francisco, my two favorite cities.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:12 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Default Chiraq

Thanks to Spike Lee and his film title, "Chiraq"; the violence reputation of the city is going to stick with the media and country for a long time. Because of the film title, there will always be a permanent reminder of the violence, whether it's overblown or not. It looks like they are wrapping up filming.

City leaders recently debated the impact of the title: 'Chiraq' film title debated by city leaders | abc7chicago.com

Although I'm a fan of some of Spike Lee's movies and I admit I am kind of interested in seeing the final product of this film; I hope it flops and people forget about it because I think it will again fuel the media hype of the violence in the city.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:25 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
I think an important fact that is often papered over is how LA and NYC achieved their reduction in crime stats.

Los Angeles wholesale deported gangs en masse. Honduras has a terrible crime problem today because California literally purged Honduran immigrants.

Both cities also used real estate inflation to purge the undesirables from their boundaries. Giuliani and Bloomberg encouraged policies that took advantage of the real estate bubble to wholesale banish the untouchables.

Los Angeles is guilty of the same exact crime.

Make no mistake in assuming that the stars aligned and things magically improved. The poor, marginalized, and socially abandoned were used by a system that saw massive profit to be made. Between AIDS and crack, the invisible hand deliberately turned people against one another.

Chicago didn't have the same extreme real estate demand to turn the worst neighborhoods into Colliseum-style arenas.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:22 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
but Chicago's fortunes will rise with the inauguration of President Trump. Rumor has it that his first official act as POTUS will be deporting Obama back to Kenya. Followed by deporting Pilsen back to Mexico.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:29 AM

347 posts, read 521,527 times
To those of you who keep trying to spin away the reality of Chicago's atrocious crime: Keep in mind that Chicago's population has declined from 20 to 30 years ago, so that defeats your argument right there. That being said, yes, I have no problem believing that Chicago's homicide rate is down....but that is because of improved medical technology that is able to save more lives. The number of shootings is out of control and is up this year from last year. Even the "nice" neighborhoods are not immune. Just check out the CWB blog, and we read about plenty of crime in the MSM sources when they actually do their job. Just remember that the indicator of how dangerous a city is, is not necessarily the murder rate....but the number of shootings, and Chicago is winning this race. LOL!

You shouldn't blame the national media for giving your city a bad name. You should blame yourselves and your democratic party machine leaders...but I guess it's just the liberal way to not take personal responsibility and blame someone else. The media is only doing its job, and Chicago's violence is newsworthy. 62 people were shot over the July 4th weekend. Is that not newsworthy? Also, the fact that Chicago is basically Greece doesn't help its reputation either. How do you spin that?

I'm so glad I got the hell out of Chicago and Illinois. You really don't realize how much life is better when you leave that cesspool.

Did you hear about that poor kid on the south side who was killed in his baby stroller?

Old 07-12-2015, 09:33 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
To those of you who keep trying to spin away the reality of Chicago's atrocious crime: Keep in mind that Chicago's population has declined from 20 to 30 years ago, so that defeats your argument right there. That being said, yes, I have no problem believing that Chicago's homicide rate is down....but that is because of improved medical technology that is able to save more lives. The number of shootings is out of control and is up this year from last year. Even the "nice" neighborhoods are not immune. Just check out the CWB blog, and we read about plenty of crime in the MSM sources when they actually do their job. Just remember that the indicator of how dangerous a city is, is not necessarily the murder rate....but the number of shootings, and Chicago is winning this race. LOL!

You shouldn't blame the national media for giving your city a bad name. You should blame yourselves and your democratic party machine leaders...but I guess it's just the liberal way to not take personal responsibility and blame someone else. The media is only doing its job, and Chicago's violence is newsworthy. 62 people were shot over the July 4th weekend. Is that not newsworthy? Also, the fact that Chicago is basically Greece doesn't help its reputation either. How do you spin that?

I'm so glad I got the hell out of Chicago and Illinois. You really don't realize how much life is better when you leave that cesspool.

Did you hear about that poor kid on the south side who was killed in his baby stroller?
Chicago def has its crime problems its not the media's fault people are killing each other at an alarming crime rate.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:10 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:

This is a great example of our poor education system. Crime rates are at 40 year lows. Crime rates take into account population. That's the whole point.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:21 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
Quote:
You shouldn't blame the national media for giving your city a bad name. You should blame yourselves
Yea, cuz the people in the forum are the ones committing the crime, right?

I doubt any White people from the North side take offense to this. When the media talks about crime in Englewood, I believe the White people go "Oh, I live in Lincoln Park/Lakeview, this isn't about us."

It's just like if Martians talked smack about the humans on Earth over the crap going on in the Middle East. Why would anyone from Chicago take offense to it?

Quote:
and your democratic party machine leaders...
Well, you'd have to say something to provide it's their fault.

Quote:
but I guess it's just the liberal way to not take personal responsibility and blame someone else. The media is only doing its job, and Chicago's violence is newsworthy. 62 people were shot over the July 4th weekend. Is that not newsworthy? Also, the fact that Chicago is basically Greece doesn't help its reputation either. How do you spin that?

Yea, I'm sure the people in Jefferson Park feel the same way as Englewood. You're trying to put Chicago as 1 whole neighborhood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates