Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 05:34 PM

172 posts, read 177,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Add to that the intracoastal waterway which runs from the Mexican border to New Jersey, and the US has more internal navigable waterway than the rest of the world combined.
It's absolutely foolish if people believe this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...terways_length

Just about 6% of the world internal navigable waterways are located in the U.S.

Quote:
With the exception of the western fringes of the Great Plains no US agricultural area is more than 150 miles from navigable water.
The density of internal waterways is much higher in most other advanced countries.

Quote:
Much of Northern & Western Europe manages only one lettuce crop a year. The Salinas Valley in California spits out four, to say nothing of the Central Valley.
Even in cloudy Germany a head of lettuce only needs 2 month until you can crop them. So at least 3 lettuce crops a year. And lettuce is definitely cheaper over here than in the U.S.
The assertion that the U.S. is able to produce basic food stuff cheaper than other advanced economies is a myth.

When I read some of the comments in this thread then it looks like many people repeat what they have learned in American history at highschool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 05:49 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I was thinking about this early this morning....and maybe there's a very simple answer here so please forgive my ignorance.
When I think of a rich 'person', i think of someone with great assets.....or someone who can provide key services to get assets in return (ie. money, gold, etc.)

How is the US the richest nation on earth? is it because of our natural resources, or......

We're not the wealthiest nation on Earth. In fact, we're not wealthy at all. We're $18.628 trillion in debt; we have $18.628 trillion of negative wealth.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:00 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
We're not the wealthiest nation on Earth. In fact, we're not wealthy at all. We're $18.628 trillion in debt; we have $18.628 trillion of negative wealth.
We love debt. Even most of us with a positive net worth have debt. You can talk about how low mortgage rates are and how the market has been doing until you are blue in the face and I won't be convinced it's logical. I am a hypocrite, BTW. My excuse is that the money in excess of what I owe on the house is mostly tax deferred. Again, likely to work in my favor in the long run but still not really logical. The trouble is we are conditioned to be too accepting of debt. Sometimes I think they ran up the national debt to a number no rational human can comprehend because if it was within reach we had to pay it off. Now the world's poorest kept secret is that we will never pay it off. We haven't even paid it down any since Clinton. Obama has greatly reduced the deficit - the rate at which we add to the debt - but the debt balance continues to climb.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:58 PM

820 posts, read 1,208,832 times
The average US citizen lives a better life than other countries. Poor in america means iPhone 6 bmw car and food stamps.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:06 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
One thing that I think is missing from this discussion is how would things change if the European Union were treated as a single nation - would the US still be Number 1 in power? Also, America can scarcely proclaim to be the richest when the Federal government is $18.3 Trillion dollars in the hole...

Old 07-24-2015, 01:00 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,083 times
Cool interactive graphic on relative share of global GDP across history. In particular, check out the changes between 1913 and 2008. The US surged then gave up a bit. But UK France Germany, collectively have tanked. That's what a couple of world wars will do to you.

https://infogr.am/Share-of-world-GDP-throughout-history

Got me thinking about what Europe has invented since 1945. Answer: Not much.

I'll be interested in Florian's take on this.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:20 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
The U.S. is not "the richest nation"--it is the 7th richest, with a per capita income of $46,860. #7 United States - In Photos: The World's Richest Countries - Forbes But don't be fooled--per capita income is calculated by taking the total GDP and dividing it by the number of people in the population. This is NOT how we allocate income in America. And more important than total income, is the way it is spread out among the population--if the richest nation in the world has 99% of the wealth held in the hands of the top 1%, with the rest of the people starving, being a "wealthy nation" means nothing to anyone but that top 1%.

And per capita income doesn't tell the whole story of national wealth--when you have a national debt that exceeds 100% of GDP like we now do, you don't have a wealthy nation. You have the likes of Greece, and an handful of other abysmally-run nations (which now include us).

Currently interest on the federal debt consumes 7% of the federal budget of $3.5 trillion--a huge amount of money wasted, particularly when 1/2 a trillion of that total is BORROWED and therefore increases the national debt and future interest costs even more. Policy Basics: Where Do Federal Tax Revenues Come From? | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
And taxpayers also must pay interest on state and local government debt, too.

But the worst thing of all about massive government debt is that it has required perpetual zero-interest rates for over a decade now, as well as dollar devaluation to pay back the debt with dollars worth much less. Do you think ANYONE can retire by simply saving millions of dollars, without the power of compound interest--even if their savings weren't being purposely devalued to nothing? Not anyone in the working class, that's for sure.

And then we also have $127 trillion in unfunded liabilities, like Social Security obligations. Again, the dollar MUST be devalued to nothing, so that Washington doesn't have to openly admit to the drastic reduction in the value of Social Security benefits. You may get your first promised $800 check from Social Security when you're 67, but does that matter when a loaf of bread costs $900?

The next time someone arguments for U.S. aid based on us being so "rich" totally ludicrous.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:27 PM

Here's a piece that put's the debt in context. It was a lot worse after WWII. Current problems started with Reagan. Clinton got it back under control. Bush pushed it up again, and it jumped under Obama because of the Financial Crisis, but has retreated since then.

The Long Story of U.S. Debt, From 1790 to 2011, in 1 Little Chart - The Atlantic

Old 07-24-2015, 09:03 PM

Not sure I'd want to live in many of those countries with low dept/gdp ratios. US is 101% Euro area is 91%. It's not a huge difference.

Country List Government Debt to GDP

Old 07-25-2015, 05:10 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post

How is the US the richest nation on earth? is it because of our natural resources, or......
World war 2 left the U.s as the only major unwrecked country on Earth. From that point, we were able to dominate the globe with international bodies that the U.s set up at that time. Bretton Woods would eventually lead to the petrodollar in 1971.

The End of Dollar Hegemony

Read this and you will understand fully.

Even prior to that the U.s basically rolled over an entire continent of untapped resources. The use of slavery also accelerated the countries rise to passing Briton in the late 1800's in terms of production.

I also don't want to downplay American innovation.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 07-25-2015 at 05:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates