Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 08:28 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workitoutnow View Post
So thankful that the internet is here to expose your kind for what they really are, and that you freely write about your "ideas." Keep talkin': That's ultimately how the right wing is losing this battle.

Most people know the difference between fear and hyperbole and real life. ...
I agree.

I was listening to a radio discussion show the other day (no, not the Rush Limbaugh type, liberal or conservative). I don't remember the author that was being interviewed, but he has been doing large-scale interviewing of young voters. It isn't that they want small government, they want effective government...government that responds to the needs of the country. They are less concerned with party affiliation or left versus right, and more concerned with making things go well for the country. They're sort of up for grabs.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:50 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
I'm old enough to remember Anita Bryant vividly. When I left my small town to go to college, I didn't think I even knew any people who were homosexual (I don't think I had ever heard the term "gay.") But I went to college in an urban area and it wasn't long before I met fellow students who were gay or lesbian. Most of them weren't even out to their families but it's hard to keep secrets like that in a dorm.

I think the thing that really facilitated the gay rights movement was AIDS. Suddenly it was not in gay people's interest to remain closeted. They were fighting for their lives, literally. Here were so many young gay men DYING when they had barely lived. It was such a tragedy and I think it became rather obvious that they would get help faster if the public knew just how many people who were at risk or already infected were some of the most accomplished people in our society.

It's one thing to be prejudiced against the great unknown. But it's a lot harder to put negative labels on people you deal with regularly, family members, or just people you know and like. Kids aren't born hating people because of their color, or their family's religion or ethnicity, or someone's sexual orientation. It isn't natural to be EX-clusive. As our world is constantly made smaller by modern technology and improved communications, we see a lot fewer people like Anita Bryant. The ones who are out there being hateful and loud still clamor for attention.

But in reality, fewer things that used to be considered unusual are even commented on. Did you know that two years ago both Rep. John Boehner's daughter and Sen. John McCain's son both married spouses who were another race? I didn't hear that until just the other day. I guess no one I knew found it necessary to comment on that. Which is great IMHO. I don't think people would care if their kids were gay or lesbian either. That's progress.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:55 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
When I introduced this thread, I was addressing a broad and general observation about the accomplishments of the LGBT rights movement which is apparent in the growing influence and importance it has in American society.

It was not my intention to narrowly focus on just the issue of the recognition of same sex marriage in those few states that hadn't already done so by the Supreme Court in Obergefell v. Hodges in June.

The ascendency of the LGBT community to where it is now, considering how unpopular, insignificant and
disorganized it was 50 years ago, is noteworthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Yes, they are, Bobby. When they read magically into the Constitution what is not there, you are asking for trouble. The 14th Amendment applied to freed slaves, not to gay people, and not even to women. That came later with the 19th Amendment.

Worse still is reading out of the Constitution what blatantly IS there, which is usually the next step of you "progressive" leftists, from gun ownership to political speech....

It is so telling that you pinkoes get all upset about the Citizen's United decision, which reaffirmed that yes, the 1st amendment means what it says after all ...
You have a political ideology and disagree with the recent Supreme Court ruling. Many folks who would disagree with you would merely shrug and say it is altogether proper and fitting that the judiciary should protect the rights of a minority, which should not be subject to the whims or popularity contests of the voting majority ... that is called "the tyranny of the majority" and the civil rights minorities enjoy today are often due to judicial decision, not elections. We live in a constitutional republic, not a pure democracy ... and that is why the US Supreme Court ruled the way they did in the famous Loving decision. Scotus can overturn decisions after the passage of time, just as Plessy v. Ferguson was reversed by Brown v. The Board Of Education.

It must be noted that is wasn't just SCOTUS that brought about marriage equality. The vast and overwhelming majority of rulings in many courts throughout the land sided with legalizing same sex marriage. It's a fact that many Republican-appointed judges - judges who were considered "conservative" - voiced eloquent opinions in favor of legalizing same sex marriage from a constitutional point of view; they include respected federal judges such as Bernard Friedman and Richard Posner, both appointed by Pres. Reagan, John E. Jones who was appointed by Pres. Bush, and Luis Garcia who was appointed by Jeb Bush in Florida. Just one federal judge in Louisiana and two judges on the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals went against the trend of over 60 courts in many states legalizing it. That is why the SCOTUS had to step in and hear the case ... all the courts up until then were unanimous is upholding legalized same sex marriage.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:50 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
The Devil has many disciples and they worked very hard during the past few decades. I wonder how many of those Disciples will be happy with their Paycheck?
Yes God does forgive sins through Jesus. However there are conditions. I am not the one that will be judging these people so don't heed any of my advice. However if I should go along with the idea that this is an acceptable activity and keep my mouth shut I may have to answer for that on Judgement Day.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
When I introduced this thread, I was addressing a broad and general observation about the accomplishments of the LGBT rights movement which is apparent in the growing influence and importance it has in American society.

It was not my intention to narrowly focus on just the issue of the recognition of same sex marriage in those few states that hadn't already done so by the Supreme Court in Obergefell v. Hodges in June.

The ascendency of the LGBT community to where it is now, considering how unpopular, insignificant and
disorganized it was 50 years ago, is noteworthy.

You have a political ideology and disagree with the recent Supreme Court ruling. Many folks who would disagree with you would merely shrug and say it is altogether proper and fitting that the judiciary should protect the rights of a minority, which should not be subject to the whims or popularity contests of the voting majority ... that is called "the tyranny of the majority" and the civil rights minorities enjoy today are often due to judicial decision, not elections. We live in a constitutional republic, not a pure democracy ... and that is why the US Supreme Court ruled the way they did in the famous Loving decision. Scotus can overturn decisions after the passage of time, just as Plessy v. Ferguson was reversed by Brown v. The Board Of Education.

It must be noted that is wasn't just SCOTUS that brought about marriage equality. The vast and overwhelming majority of rulings in many courts throughout the land sided with legalizing same sex marriage. It's a fact that many Republican-appointed judges - judges who were considered "conservative" - voiced eloquent opinions in favor of legalizing same sex marriage from a constitutional point of view; they include respected federal judges such as Bernard Friedman and Richard Posner, both appointed by Pres. Reagan, John E. Jones who was appointed by Pres. Bush, and Luis Garcia who was appointed by Jeb Bush in Florida. Just one federal judge in Louisiana and two judges on the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals went against the trend of over 60 courts in many states legalizing it. That is why the SCOTUS had to step in and hear the case ... all the courts up until then were unanimous is upholding legalized same sex marriage.
And LOT could not find Ten righteous Men.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:51 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Yes God does forgive sins through Jesus. However there are conditions. I am not the one that will be judging these people so don't heed any of my advice. However if I should go along with the idea that this is an acceptable activity and keep my mouth shut I may have to answer for that on Judgement Day.
Quote:
And LOT could not find Ten righteous Men.
I mean no disrespect, and recognize that we live in a country where people are entitled to their opinions and religious beliefs. However, I am NOT a Christian ... nor were my parents or grandparents or great-grandparents. No one is my family nor any of my ancestors were Christian. Therefore your opinion - to me at least - are irrelevant and nonsensical; many of us regard such beliefs as superstition and Bronze-Age mythology.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:39 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Quote:
It all began with the Stonewall Riots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_riots

Old 07-24-2015, 03:08 PM

381 posts, read 277,509 times
[quote=SandyJet;40513258]I think one of main reasons is public schools and TV day after day teach young kids being gay is ok. kinda brainwashing. They did not convert the older folk they converted their children and waited for the older folk to die[/quote

Never a truer word spoken.

Welcome to the future.And your welcome to it. Just leave me out.

moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 08-01-2015 at 01:23 AM..

Old 07-24-2015, 03:25 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
[quote=silverhead;40547444]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I think one of main reasons is public schools and TV day after day teach young kids being gay is ok. kinda brainwashing. They did not convert the older folk they converted their children and waited for the older folk to die[/quote

Never a truer word spoken.

Welcome to the future.And your welcome to it. Just leave me out.

Woof! Which one is you!?

Old 07-24-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I mean no disrespect, and recognize that we live in a country where people are entitled to their opinions and religious beliefs. However, I am NOT a Christian ... nor were my parents or grandparents or great-grandparents. No one is my family nor any of my ancestors were Christian. Therefore your opinion - to me at least - are irrelevant and nonsensical; many of us regard such beliefs as superstition and Bronze-Age mythology.
That is your right Clark Park. God gave us the power to decide our own fate. If you are right and
my belief is irrelevant and nonsensical I haven't lost anything in my belief. However if I am right in my
belief and you are wrong who is the big loser?

Might I suggest you pick up a copy of the Bible and read it? Whether you believe what it says or not is
up to you but there are some very interesting stories in it and insightful ways of looking at things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates