Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 05:45 PM

286 posts, read 261,757 times

Advertisements

again, thugs don't need guns. they can attack you with guns, knives, force of numbers, or just ferocity and surprise. Little old grannies can't do diddly with a bal bat, but they can damned straight shoot a punk or two right in the guts, as they so richly deserve to have happen to them.

We've fought several wars against the kind of people who want to force others to do things their way, and we can and will do it again, too. If you don't believe me, just try us.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:04 PM

16,403 posts, read 8,482,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
To anyone who thinks the National Guard is the "well Regulated Militia" referred to in the Second Amendment, I can only recommend that you read Title 10, United States code, "Militia". There you will find the TRUE definition of "militia" in the United States, both the Organized Militia and the Unorganized Militia.
You will also find a reminder that when you don't know what you are talking about, you would best be served by being quiet!

Here, I'll make it easy for you:
10 U.S. Code § 311 - Militia: composition and classes

prev | next
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are— (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

EDIT: By the way, how could this have happened? I thought Canada was one of the "civilized" countries that didn't allow guns!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2313829
Why not just go by what the Founding Fathers defined it to be.

For example;

”Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.”
James Madison

`

Old 08-05-2015, 04:58 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,822,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
To anyone who thinks the National Guard is the "well Regulated Militia" referred to in the Second Amendment, I can only recommend that you read Title 10, United States code, "Militia". There you will find the TRUE definition of "militia" in the United States, both the Organized Militia and the Unorganized Militia.
You will also find a reminder that when you don't know what you are talking about, you would best be served by being quiet!

Here, I'll make it easy for you:
10 U.S. Code § 311 - Militia: composition and classes

prev | next
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are— (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

EDIT: By the way, how could this have happened? I thought Canada was one of the "civilized" countries that didn't allow guns!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2313829
The "militia" discussion is a non-issue. The supreme court has already given their interpretation of the 2nd amendment - the right to bear arms is an individual right and has nothing to do with what we define today as a "militia".
I have a longer discussion somewhere in the forums about the origination of that wording in the constitution and the historical and political context, which has nothing to do with "militia" and more on a combination of the grammer of that time and topics such as state vs. federal power.
Regardless - as your post indicates, a "militia" is simply every able bodied man of fighting age.

Last edited by Dd714; 08-05-2015 at 06:07 AM..

Old 08-05-2015, 08:17 AM

8,000 posts, read 7,354,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I'm not sure what that even means or why Malaysia's anti sodomy laws are relevant to this discussion.
Dude, you're the one who brought Malaysia into it, not me. Your Malaysian friends think the U.S. guns laws are crazy. Good for them, but it's not relevant to a discussion of U.S. gun laws.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:21 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,935,657 times
"The "militia" discussion is a non-issue. The supreme court has already given their interpretation of the 2nd amendment - the right to bear arms is an individual right and has nothing to do with what we define today as a "militia"."

Yes, I know, the Supremes made their decision. I find it interesting that they apparently completely ignored the provisions of the United States Code in the decision making process.
At least, I have never heard of anything in the decision or the dissent that mentioned the Code.
Perhaps they feared that if they mentioned the LAW, those who are not in compliance with said law might be prosecuted for not participating in the Unorganized Militia as the law requires! Of course, that has never happened AFAIK. But, I suppose it could.
At one time I knew the law that stated what armaments members of the militia are required to have in their possession. Yes, anti-gun folks, by law you are (or were, I don't know if the law is still in force) REQUIRED BY LAW to have in your possession a rifle of, IIRC. a "common caliber", plus a certain amount of ammunition, AND be able to show proficiency in its use! That was, IIRC, the reason for the creation of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship, to make military surplus weapons available to civilians at reasonable prices, and ensure said civilians were proficient in their use!
Such laws, however, seem to eventually be forgotten about, and remain on the books forever.
Are YOU in compliance?
I am, and most of my family is.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:34 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,789,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Dude, you're the one who brought Malaysia into it, not me. Your Malaysian friends think the U.S. guns laws are crazy. Good for them, but it's not relevant to a discussion of U.S. gun laws.
maybe you should look at the title of the thread you are posting in. I don't think this topic really is a debate, though. It's pretty clear that most countries are far more restrictive and are therefore taken aback by the way it is not as heavily regulated here.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:00 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,272,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion99 View Post
But all in all, none of these things would do much of anything. If you have a thousand dollars and want a gun, a gun you shall have. Entire families in the Philippines, among other places, make their living by hand-crafting 1911 handguns and selling them up through the smuggling chain. They are known as ghost guns because they have no serial number and no history. These bring top dollar for that reason. Once used, the gun is sold for less and less as it accumulates more history.
actually these neighborhood/family gun smiths would like to legalize their operations but govt regulations make it impossible for them to do so.you must have really a big capital to be legalize

Old 08-05-2015, 12:51 PM

8,000 posts, read 7,354,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
maybe you should look at the title of the thread you are posting in.
I looked at it. And I replied to the guy in Malaysia which has draconian and backward laws regarding the rights of homosexuals and the death penalty, regarding his list of "improvements" to U.S. laws, which weren't requested according to "the title of the thread".

It's a pretty freewheeling discussion. Most posters don't seem too hung up on the thread title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.