Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 06:03 AM

286 posts, read 262,688 times

Advertisements

my freedom from BrownShirts or Red Army predation, or PolPot or African style slaughter. The mass murderers could be using pipe bombs or poison, ya know, and vanish, to do it again. When they use guns, they get CAUGHT

Old 07-31-2015, 06:06 AM

286 posts, read 262,688 times
I"ve had plenty of pos's who THOUGHT that their numbers or clubs were going to overpower me, but when they saw (or heard) my gun, they changed their minds, INSTANTLY. :-) I personally know of several other friends who have done the same thing. In our country, pos's dont GET to just do whatever they want. Instead, they get gut shot. Be glad that their numbers are being reduced.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:36 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Do any other nations' citizens have this "right?"

If so, how is it affecting them? Is there an increased incidence of murders/accidental deaths?

If not, how commonly do citizens illegally acquire and use arms?

And do other nations' citizens WANT to have the right to bear arms?

Gun enthusiast U.S. citizens maintain that they feel safer having guns for self-defense. But imagine without guns in everyone's hands, people could simply get used to the fact that if their lives are being threatened, they can always use a baseball bat or hand-to-hand combat? There are plenty of non-lethal self-defense alternatives such as mace, pepper spray, stun guns. If curious kids get their hands on those, at least no one will die.

If no one had guns, we wouldn't need them.

If some people have guns, everyone feels the need to have one.

Last night in Washington D.C. two children were playing with a gun, and a 3-year old was fatally shot.

In Baltimore, in the month of July alone there have been FORTY murders.

Such accidents & crimes are common enough that we MUST re-evaluate this archaic "right to bear arms." The 2nd amendment was established in a different time for reasons that are no longer applicable in our day.

Gun hobbyists, recreational hunters, and paranoid citizens are the ones who continue to uphold the 2nd amendment.

What is the ratio of guns being used safely/responsibly in self defense vs how many murders & accidents have resulted from personally-owned guns?

I suspect that there are more murders and accidental deaths than incidents of responsible self defense.
The vast majority of gun murders are gang and drug related in the urban parts of the US.

Answer two questions for me:

1) In light of our failed war on drugs how do you intend to disarm the drug gangs?

2) What is your experience\diversity on the topic? Have you lived in diverse parts of the country meaning urban and rural? Have you lived in varied socio-economic areas? Have you ever fired a gun or been around them?

Old 07-31-2015, 07:37 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Well, I'd say in the summer of 1944, France really appreciated it. How quickly people tend to forget.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:49 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
It's almost as if other countries find it odd that the US retains a law that facilitates weekly public massacres.
It isn't a law; it is a right.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:50 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Do any other nations' citizens have this "right?"
If they do they are free.

If so, how is it affecting them? Is there an increased incidence of murders/accidental deaths?
Do the research

If not, how commonly do citizens illegally acquire and use arms?
Would their PRESS report it?

And do other nations' citizens WANT to have the right to bear arms?
If they are not free? Yes I would thinks so.

Gun enthusiast U.S. citizens maintain that they feel safer having guns for self-defense. But imagine without guns in everyone's hands, people could simply get used to the fact that if their lives are being threatened, they can always use a baseball bat or hand-to-hand combat? There are plenty of non-lethal self-defense alternatives such as mace, pepper spray, stun guns. If curious kids get their hands on those, at least no one will die.
Teach your kids how to SAFELY use firearms.

If no one had guns, we wouldn't need them.
No. We could all live in fear of the strong and ruthless.

If some people have guns, everyone feels the need to have one.
Not if there are MORE good guys with guns than BAD guys.

Last night in Washington D.C. two children were playing with a gun, and a 3-year old was fatally shot.
That can happen. Two kids died in car accidents in my state last night. Ban cars.

In Baltimore, in the month of July alone there have been FORTY murders.
And how many of those murders were drug related?

Such accidents & crimes are common enough that we MUST re-evaluate this archaic "right to bear arms." The 2nd amendment was established in a different time for reasons that are no longer applicable in our day.
Again automobile accidents kill many more people every year than guns in the USA.

Gun hobbyists, recreational hunters, and paranoid citizens are the ones who continue to uphold the 2nd amendment.
Yes because most of us realize a gun is just a tool. A tool that can save your life when used properly.

What is the ratio of guns being used safely/responsibly in self defense vs how many murders & accidents have resulted from personally-owned guns?
You will never know because our news media only reports it when guns are used in crimes or accidents.

I suspect that there are more murders and accidental deaths than incidents of responsible self defense.
You suspect wrong. Researcher John Lott has debunked this.

You are not forced to own a gun in this country. Personally I think that if you do not have the intelligence to understand the need for the Second Amendment you do not have the intelligence to handle the other rights guaranteed by our Constitution.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:09 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
Personally, it's none of your business what I do with my guns.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:10 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
Quote:
If you can site a source for those estimates, then we can get constructive.
Otherwise, most of what we see on the news are accidents and murders due to gun ownership.

With one exception in recent memory: a prostitute recently shot and killed a man with his gun when he began to strangle her. It turned out he was a serial killer.

By and large however, there are more accidents and murders than incidents of self defense.
You can start on Wiki, which lists links to a number of different studies: Defensive Gun Use.

There are a wide range of estimates, but even the lowest estimate of 55,000 is over 3 times the total number of homocides in the U.S. each year.

Your perceptions on this question are totally at odds with the facts.

Dave

Old 07-31-2015, 10:37 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelo View Post
That's about what I expected. We could eliminate over half the school shootings just by regulating the sale of recreational drugs. The current free market system leads to gang activity and violence, which has always resulted from prohibition laws.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:51 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Well, I'd say in the summer of 1944, France really appreciated it. How quickly people tend to forget.

Wrong, it was not so much people owning guns but governments coming in or at least their armies coming in and fighting the German army. And it was not just Americans who were there, my father was ripped up with shrapnel landing on the beach with the Canadian forces. I simply do not see how two sides fighting a war using tanks, artillery planes and large ground forces can be a factor on how people see Americans owning firearms one way or the other. I know a lot of people who own rifles and own shotguns and I know people who own revolvers (yes revolvers not side arms or hand guns as I know the difference) without the thought of needing them for self defence. As I said in my earlier post, it is a different mind set between our two countries; the belief that one needs to be armed to be safe and the other that owning guns is great if you want to. It is a cultural difference.

I am not sure why some would come onto a thread where the OP asked people who were not Americans what they thought about your gun ownerships and state they do not care. If you do not care why post on the thread as obvious the OP wished to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.