Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:04 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times

Advertisements

Wow, so many people in here are completely disconnected from the causes and effects of criminality. Certainly it sounds like not a one of you is able to speak factually from the criminal perspective. This thread is a display of so much ignorance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 07:15 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Wow, so many people in here are completely disconnected from the causes and effects of criminality. Certainly it sounds like not a one of you is able to speak factually from the criminal perspective. This thread is a display of so much ignorance...
Interesting comment. Does having worked in two correctional facilities and had direct contact with the thugs count for something? Or does one have to be a thug to qualify. If so, where are all the rehabilitated and free education thugs? Can they even read?

Having said the above, I totally agree with you about the disconnected people. In their rose-colored world, victims are nothing, and the thug needs all kinds of special consideration.

El Nox

Old 08-04-2015, 07:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
hustling drugs hurts kids, it turns children into addicts. you did hurt your community when you did this.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:23 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Interesting comment. Does having worked in two correctional facilities and had direct contact with the thugs count for something? Or does one have to be a thug to qualify. If so, where are all the rehabilitated and free education thugs? Can they even read?

Having said the above, I totally agree with you about the disconnected people. In their rose-colored world, victims are nothing, and the thug needs all kinds of special consideration.

El Nox
You're speaking to a rehabilitated, free education "thug", and I'd guess that me being in this thread proves I can read...

Having worked in two prisons counts for "something". It means that you already have a preconceived notion of crime and criminals, in all likelihood...

Old 08-04-2015, 08:06 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Some posters on this thread seem to think that our prison costs are being paid for by the Chinese, that it doesn't effect their pocketbooks, in the least. The way some talk: Put them in prison, thrown away the key! And many are unaware of the costs: with both direct/indirect costs, $40-$50k a year per inmate!

I believe, in Texas, in the early 80's, during an unexpected whopper of a recession, thousands were released from their prisons, due to severe budget deficits.

Doesn't that scare anyone? The idea of any state suffering such a budget shortfall, they're forced to open the prison doors?

God forbid, we should sink into another Great Depression!

Easy to forget: Prisons are a luxury to any society!

Old 08-04-2015, 09:05 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
Moderator cut: Trolling we all committ, on average, 3 felonies every day. That bootlegged movie or software? that's a felony. Disguising your ID on the net as you are doing right NOW, is a felony.
Please give more examples of what you mean because as far as I know, I have never committed even one felony in my entire life, let alone an average of even one per day.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
You're speaking to a rehabilitated, free education "thug", and I'd guess that me being in this thread proves I can read...
Great. Now again it is your turn, how many of your peers are like you?

Quote:
Having worked in two prisons counts for "something". It means that you already have a preconceived notion of crime and criminals, in all likelihood...
"preconceived notion" is hardly the case. My notion is the result of direct experience. I've had my fill of 'born again' thugs who found Jesus/Mohammed/Rastafarius/Elijah Mohammed and the rest of the crew in the joint AND LEFT THEM THERE WHEN THEY GOT OUT. I have watched the same thugs return after release ... some arrested at the same corner selling the same drugs from the same supplier who "took care" of their women while they were in the joint the first time.

Small point ... the is exactly how I could feel about your post. I say 'could feel' because it is possible that YOU are the exception to the rule. However, in my experience, I haven't come across one like you.

El Nox

Old 08-04-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Some posters on this thread seem to think that our prison costs are being paid for by the Chinese, that it doesn't effect their pocketbooks, in the least. The way some talk: Put them in prison, thrown away the key! And many are unaware of the costs: with both direct/indirect costs, $40-$50k a year per inmate!

I believe, in Texas, in the early 80's, during an unexpected whopper of a recession, thousands were released from their prisons, due to severe budget deficits.

Doesn't that scare anyone? The idea of any state suffering such a budget shortfall, they're forced to open the prison doors?

I mostly agree ... however ... Sheriff Joe has the right idea.

El Nox

Old 08-04-2015, 09:39 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:

If you would be more specific about what you are talking about perhaps we could address your concerns.

Dismissing experience from the legal side of the issue for preconceived notions rather than factual experience is hardly fair. It would be like saying since you have been on the other side of the fence you are the one with slanted opinions.

Do you believe that the causes of criminality should excuse criminals from legal consequences?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:55 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i believe drug dealers should get a minimum of 25 years, even for an ounce of weed, i think if a person overdose of your drugs, you should get the dead penatly. I would go has far as caught smoking weed a minimum of ten years. yes our prison have a lot of people in them, that just mean they are doing a damn good job.
Let me guess, small government conservative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Bingo.

The US has the highest prison population. Why is that when we don't have the highest crime rate? And I don't want people saying our crime rate is low because we put them in prison because that's not true. We've never come close to having the highest crime rate. We've never had a reason to put this many people in jail for as long as we do until we made some up.

Seriously, the US has slightly more crime than European countries, but have substantially more prisoners than Russia. Russia! The country that Soviet wannabe Vladimir Putin is 'president' of. We have more people in jail than that country and we're just totally ok with it.

The usual solution is longer sentencing which really does nothing but cost money. If you put a thief in jail and do nothing to make him stop stealing, it doesn't matter if he's in prison for 5 years, 10 years, or 30 years. Without any 'correction' they remain the same, regardless of prison time. This basically means we're too lazy to solve the problem, so we'll just shove it under our beds for the time being. We could try and rehabilitate them by reforming our prisons, with the knowledge that counties that prioritize rehabilitation have had great success with it, would be worth it in the long run. Might cost some up front, but if it brings recidivism down, we're still spending less money down the road. And of course, smarter sentencing laws. In Europe, 10-14 years is considered a long time. In the US, it's merciful. That needs to change. Also, drug laws need to be re-examined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates