U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 07:42 PM

4,109 posts, read 1,665,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZagBoom View Post
But this isn't the way the cool millennial kids actually operate. I've managed to quasi-befriend a couple a work. They ruthlessly make fun of another co-worker for his "SJW" style posts to social media. They wouldn't get any dirt for backstabbing if they unfollowed him. As posted above: "Because the generations of today no longer have the same social skills that we had growing up, they find it harder to relate to each other and this turns into a sort of Trolling skill that causes them to self preserve."

I don't really think that proves your point, chiefly because people like that have always existed. They are certainly not unique or even more pronounced in the social media era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 01:12 PM

4,544 posts, read 1,561,055 times
You only get out of it what you put into it.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:59 PM

416 posts, read 180,461 times
My wife and I both decided one day to delete Facebook. It was to where OUR OWN FAMILY was not happy with our lives and started mess and drama just because we were having a great time with each other. They just couldn't handle us being happy, traveling to places...LIVING OUR LIFE. They were, of course, miserable and tried to start trouble any way they could. "Oh so you can afford a vacation to (?) and can't afford to help me pay my bills?" Etc. etc... Nope, you have a job, not my problem that you have people living with you, bumming a place to stay, stealing your money and food. They didn't like that the truth was a hard, bitter pill to swallow.

Eventually, cut ties completely to my side of the family. Saying things like my wife was keeping me from having any relationship with them. Nope. Try again. Your actions caused this, we didn't want any drama or grief to be lowered to their miserable, jealous lives.

And legend has it to this day, that my wife and I are still completely happy and in love with each other. Done away with the poisons of Facebook and other social media crap. Going on 10 years of happy marriage!

Oh...City Data you might ask? I use it to read about places we're looking into to relocate to. Plus I like reading and writing to you guys!

Old 10-29-2018, 09:05 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,541,526 times
Most of them started out as sensible websites (even Facebook). But like many areas of culture in the US, over time they degraded into soapboxes for politics and personal vanity.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:30 PM

15,434 posts, read 15,378,832 times
Wasn't the real-name policy that many SM websites went to supposed to increase civility????

Gack, I do not think it helped at all. Viewing FB posts at places like HuffingtonPost, just vile nastiness.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:48 AM

21,221 posts, read 15,525,933 times
I don't think it's healthy.

I've had a good deal of stress in my personal life over the past year. My girlfriend has had a lot of health issues. I've had a legal issue. My job feels up in the air. I want to move, but the job search is going slower than I anticipated.

People tend to curate what they post on social media. Things are generally better off than they appear to be. Most everyone I know publishes only upbeat stuff. It's easy to feel down on yourself when you're seeing everyone else's airbrushed "reality."

Old 11-05-2018, 03:51 PM

19,108 posts, read 12,663,560 times
There are too many self serving generalizations for my taste on this thread.

I do use FB to keep in contact with friends and family. You are free to NOT use FB or any other social media. I am free to do so.

You canít possibly know everything about the majority of social media users. There is no need to assume superiority over them. You are free to choose, as they are.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:23 PM

4,109 posts, read 1,665,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
There are too many self serving generalizations for my taste on this thread.

I do use FB to keep in contact with friends and family. You are free to NOT use FB or any other social media. I am free to do so.

You canít possibly know everything about the majority of social media users. There is no need to assume superiority over them. You are free to choose, as they are.

Bingo. The smugness is pretty obvious.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:19 AM

8,130 posts, read 7,135,610 times
I have no interest in social media. I'm old fashioned. If I want to communicate with someone, I'll call or send them a letter or email or text. No need to broadcast myself.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:39 AM

21,632 posts, read 18,275,951 times
Yes it is. Big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates