Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 09:40 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,600,460 times

Advertisements

since the OP talked about a severely MENTALLY disabled child right from birth, what quality of life would that child have? keeping such a child alive just because we have the means to do so dosent actually mean that is the right thing to do, either for the child or the parent. there seems to be a lot of sentimentality on this thread but that is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 10:28 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
since the OP talked about a severely MENTALLY disabled child right from birth, what quality of life would that child have? keeping such a child alive just because we have the means to do so dosent actually mean that is the right thing to do, either for the child or the parent. there seems to be a lot of sentimentality on this thread but that is all.
This thread isn't about murdering disabled children. You must have it mixed up with the other one.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:33 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,600,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
This thread isn't about murdering disabled children. You must have it mixed up with the other one.
the thread title is"mentally disabled child", I suggest you read the OP again.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:43 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
you have a kid and he/she comes out Moderator cut: mentally disabled from the womb. what would you do? it's a simple enough question. would you deal with a lifetime of pumping money time and energy into the child who will never become anything in life? well maybe a janitor if even that. or would you immediately abandon the kid at the hospital (legally give it away)?

this is not a joke of a debate. i am actually serious. i really wonder the very small % of ppl. here who would up and quit as soon as they see they already lost the lottery vs. those who would put up with hundreds of appointments and extra work that must be done to deal with such an offspring.
As someone who has had unexpected tragedy in my life, I can say honestly I don't know. It is easy to make a judgement without experience.

Unless you or I have lived it, considering such a scenario in OP is academic.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
The thread is about leaving the baby at the hospital at birth, not killing it.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:35 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
adopted yes, but are they disabled? I was adopted myself.
Almost 1,400 kids with special needs have been adopted through the assistance of Reece's Rainbow in the last seven or eight years. I've met many of these children and their families. Their needs range from fairly mild to more complex physical issues due to dwarfism, limb differences, cleft palate, various syndromes which do not impact intellect but do result in fused fingers and toes, incorrectly formed limbs, HIV, Hep C, CP, hearing or vision loss, and so on.

All of these conditions can be treated and some can be corrected or vastly improved.

Other RR kids have Down syndrome, are affected by FAE, or have different degrees of intellectual impairment due to other causes. These children may also have correctible physical issues, and can profit from appropriate education and therapies. Sadly, such health care and education is hard to come by in most of their home countries, and even if it is available, orphanages tend to be quite poor and low on the governmental totem poles, so funding for treatment is difficult to find.

In their 25 home countries, these children rarely received the medical care and treatment they needed, and lived in orphanages. A few lucky ones had family members who loved them and visited them, but who could not provide care for them. Others had loving and conscientious orphanage caregivers. They were the lucky ones...but even the best orphanage care cannot compare to a loving family with the resources to provide specialized care and treatment which is often needed.

Most were abandoned or rejected at birth. Many others like them died from lack of care in adult-level mental institutions where they were warehoused. I can refer you to the blogs of any number of families who have internationally adopted kids with special needs.

In almost all of these families, both homegrown and adopted children are thriving, regardless of the presence or absence of special needs. Most of the typical siblings of children with special needs learn compassion and become advocates themselves. As stated, I've met many of these kids and their families, and cannot say enough positive things about them. They are a joy to be with.

As these children grow up, some of them are working or attending college or other educational/vocational schools, and are starting to move into the adult world, most quite successfully, given appropriate modifications. Some of them now keep their own blogs. Others are musicians, artists, athletes, and are already contributing very positively to our world. Their stories are remarkable and ground-breaking.

I urge you and other unfamiliar with special needs adoption, be it domestic or international, to learn more. You will be very pleasantly surprised.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:13 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Almost 1,400 kids with special needs have been adopted through the assistance of Reece's Rainbow in the last seven or eight years. I've met many of these children and their families. Their needs range from fairly mild to more complex physical issues due to dwarfism, limb differences, cleft palate, various syndromes which do not impact intellect but do result in fused fingers and toes, incorrectly formed limbs, HIV, Hep C, CP, hearing or vision loss, and so on.

All of these conditions can be treated and some can be corrected or vastly improved.

Other RR kids have Down syndrome, are affected by FAE, or have different degrees of intellectual impairment due to other causes. These children may also have correctible physical issues, and can profit from appropriate education and therapies. Sadly, such health care and education is hard to come by in most of their home countries, and even if it is available, orphanages tend to be quite poor and low on the governmental totem poles, so funding for treatment is difficult to find.

In their 25 home countries, these children rarely received the medical care and treatment they needed, and lived in orphanages. A few lucky ones had family members who loved them and visited them, but who could not provide care for them. Others had loving and conscientious orphanage caregivers. They were the lucky ones...but even the best orphanage care cannot compare to a loving family with the resources to provide specialized care and treatment which is often needed.

Most were abandoned or rejected at birth. Many others like them died from lack of care in adult-level mental institutions where they were warehoused. I can refer you to the blogs of any number of families who have internationally adopted kids with special needs.

In almost all of these families, both homegrown and adopted children are thriving, regardless of the presence or absence of special needs. Most of the typical siblings of children with special needs learn compassion and become advocates themselves. As stated, I've met many of these kids and their families, and cannot say enough positive things about them. They are a joy to be with.

As these children grow up, some of them are working or attending college or other educational/vocational schools, and are starting to move into the adult world, most quite successfully, given appropriate modifications. Some of them now keep their own blogs. Others are musicians, artists, athletes, and are already contributing very positively to our world. Their stories are remarkable and ground-breaking.

I urge you and other unfamiliar with special needs adoption, be it domestic or international, to learn more. You will be very pleasantly surprised.
AMEN!!!!!! Rep'ed ya for KNOWING that there are so many people willing and ready to plant a child where they can GROW AND THRIVE!!!!!

Old 08-09-2015, 01:21 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
It's an interesting - and important - question, because views have changed radically over the decades.

The norm used to be that the child would be institutionalized. Currently the "correct" route it to keep the child at home, no matter how many other lives this damages in the process.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:54 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:
I'll make that same suggestion to you, so that you can see what the actual topic of the thread is.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:35 PM

298 posts, read 270,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It's an interesting - and important - question, because views have changed radically over the decades.

The norm used to be that the child would be institutionalized. Currently the "correct" route it to keep the child at home, no matter how many other lives this damages in the process.
Yes. My brother was institutionalized at 14. He was severely autistic, with violent tendencies. Best thing that ever happened in my household. Was best for the mother, the stepfather and for ME. For him? Probably. So yes, I can tell some about "damaged lives". I decided at a very young age I was going to be childfree. I didn't want to be stuck with a kid like my "brother". I wanted to get an education and have a quality life. I'm glad there are institutions and group homes for those of us who desperately need them. For those of us who have no other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates