Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 06:28 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times

Advertisements

No, money provided by welfare programs is not enough to make having babies an incentive, plus many people are on welfare for short periods of time, not lifetimes.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:10 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,418,228 times
That(welfare) and Child Support.

Which is one of the reasons we have single mothers especially at a young age

Old 08-27-2015, 08:10 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
No, money provided by welfare programs is not enough to make having babies an incentive, plus many people are on welfare for short periods of time, not lifetimes.
Nice spin.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:17 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
I agree with this in a "big picture" sense. What's so sad about both stances: people "gaming" the system AND bashing "welfare mothers", is that THAT LIFE SUCKS! It's sad if that's all someone aspires too, and it's sad that so many people just want to kick folks when they're down. My life is so full and abundant I see "single welfare mother" as simply as sad life. Whether she's unlucky, lazy, greedy, or trying her very best. It's a tough life. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:25 PM

85 posts, read 84,119 times
I live in Los Angeles and when my co-workers and I went to eat lunch at a mall called Westfield Culver City today I swear just about every young girl had a baby or two. There is no way these girls are financially independent and I never once saw a ring or a man as they walked past the food court. Most of the girls were Hispanic and black and the occasional white girl with a black mixed baby. The system needs to change because theses girls become married to the nanny state and the cycle will just continue. Blacks and Hispanics just need to get their act together because they have the highest birth and out of wedlock rates in the country. Whites and Asians are actually much more educated and responsible so they chose to wait until they are financially ready to have kids but what prevents these other 2 groups to not aspire to be something other than baby factories.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:35 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
I truly believe this is one of the reasons for some of the horrendous child abuse stories we are hearing.

Many of these kids are being brought into the world as a "ticket" to social services. Without these babies, most of these women would not qualify for such "benefits". Whether or not these children are actually wanted, and the women and men who get them here actually prepared to provide for them has become beside the point. It's a way to survive economically in a country where minimum wage is not enough to live on for the necessities of life such as housing, food, etc., and we now are going on about the fourth generation who are taught the "ropes" of getting on, and staying on, the government system.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:43 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDays123 View Post
I live in Los Angeles and when my co-workers and I went to eat lunch at a mall called Westfield Culver City today I swear just about every young girl had a baby or two. There is no way these girls are financially independent and I never once saw a ring or a man as they walked past the food court. Most of the girls were Hispanic and black and the occasional white girl with a black mixed baby. The system needs to change because theses girls become married to the nanny state and the cycle will just continue. Blacks and Hispanics just need to get their act together because they have the highest birth and out of wedlock rates in the country. Whites and Asians are actually much more educated and responsible so they chose to wait until they are financially ready to have kids but what prevents these other 2 groups to not aspire to be something other than baby factories.
Come to Georgia and you'll find plenty of White mothers with children out of wedlock. What you see has to do with L.A.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:50 PM

Oops! No, not a "FAIL" Just a hasty "cut-and-paste" error! Sorry about that!

Here's the Duke study:

Demography
August 2014, Volume 51, Issue 4, pp 1345-1356
Magic Moment? Maternal Marriage for Children Born Out of Wedlock
Christina Gibson-Davis

Magic Moment? Maternal Marriage for Children Born Out of Wedlock - Springer

You'll be thrilled to note the data comes from 5,255 non-martial births.

**Anyone interested in this thread: both of these studies are fascinating (this one, and the one I referenced earlier.) Fascinating! I encourage you to skim them at least.

Quote:
I wanted to see this for myself and the test pool was 672 single mothers. Here are some interesting findings from your source. Nowhere in that study does it support what you stated. FAIL

"In about one-fifth of all cases, the child support system official records of paternity show that the mother had had children with more than one father. Most mothers lived in Milwaukee County, the primary
urban county in the state." Page 865

"We divide mothers into four categories based on mothers’ self-reports. At the time of the third-wave interview, 11 % of mothers were married, 72 % were single (no partner), 7 % were cohabiting with a father of one of their children, and 10 % were cohabiting with someone who is not a father of one of their children (a “social father”)." Page 868

Testing the Economic Independence Hypothesis: The Effect of an Exogenous Increase in Child Support on Subsequent Marriage and Cohabitation - Springer
Ok, I definitely posted the wrong study (although it was very interesting) but I don't see what point you are trying to make with the two quotes you posted??

Last edited by AfternoonCoffee; 08-27-2015 at 09:00 PM..

Old 08-27-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Come to Georgia and you'll find plenty of White mothers with children out of wedlock. What you see has to do with L.A.
In total agreement with green_mariner. I rarely rarely go to the mall (I find it depressing on many levels) however, every time I go I am amazed at how many very young mothers there are there! They're mostly white, btw. I think it has more to do with malls than with welfare benefits...

Old 08-27-2015, 09:08 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
In total agreement with green_mariner. I rarely rarely go to the mall (I find it depressing on many levels) however, every time I go I am amazed at how many very young mothers there are there! They're mostly white, btw. I think it has more to do with malls than with welfare benefits...
It might have to do with malls. Where I live, however, I see alot of very young mothers at places like "The Dollar Store", Wal-Mart(one place I try to avoid), and Food Depot. Basically, alot of low income establishments. And this goes across race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates