Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:33 AM

20 posts, read 26,840 times

Advertisements

I have received thousands of dollars worth of scholarships and grants simply because I am "African-American." That wasn't my choice though. I always check myself as white and black or if there is only one option, "other." I never complained about receiving the money, but it still didn't feel right. I don't support Affirmative Action because it causes expectations to be lower for minorities and there are many white kids who need a lot of help as well.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:46 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,155 times
I agree.

Our president is just as much white as black, but he identifies as black.

MUST be some reason

Old 08-27-2015, 11:28 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL9000 View Post
Well, let's look at our dear president. If he referred to himself as half black and half white (or perish the thought, as white), would he have been an affirmative action admit to Columbia and Harvard, been a political darling of the Chicago political machine or elected president? No, no and no. Worked pretty good for him, huh?

By being "black" IMO he abandoned him mom who unlike the father never abandoned the family. I find it totally disgusting.
The Affirmative Action argument is kinda lame at this point.

Look, at some stage of this game, you're just gonna have to confront the fact that Obama is simply good and that all this success isn't just a coincidence. From double Ivy to academia, to state senator, to US senator to two term president. Sorry, but I've never seen a rabbit's foot or four leaf clover that darn big.

He says that he's black because he feels and looks black. This is America...he has the freedom to choose his racial status given his background. I don't know why his choice chaps so many hides.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkycinty View Post
I have received thousands of dollars worth of scholarships and grants simply because I am "African-American." That wasn't my choice though. I always check myself as white and black or if there is only one option, "other." I never complained about receiving the money, but it still didn't feel right. I don't support Affirmative Action because it causes expectations to be lower for minorities and there are many white kids who need a lot of help as well.
But you still took the money. No one twisted your arm to take it...right?

Why did you take the money if you believed that taking it was so wrong?

Old 08-27-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I thought it was cultural. I here that Ben Carson isn't "black" enough.
African Americans were raving about Ben Carson when most white folks had never heard of him.

That's a fact.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:43 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Who sees Obama as white?
Everyone should. He has a white mother. He is no more black than he is white. If he was elected president of Nigeria, they would consider him to be their first white president.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That might change when the Boomer generation is dead.

Remember that when Boomers were young (and some not-so-young at all), interracial marriage was illegal in 19 states and discouraged by the strongest social means everywhere it wasn't illegal. That was the case when I first started dating.

The white mothers of what are now called "biracial" children essentially lost their own "white cards." They were largely treated by society as though they were black and their children were treated by society as black. If society could determine that a person was any part black, that person was treated as black. That's what Boomers grew up with as "normal."

Remember that the Boomer Generation still controls American politics, commerce, and media, so don't expect it to change until the Boomer Generation is dead.
We've had this discussion before but as a younger Boomer this was not my personal experience. I'm not saying that to argue with you, just to add to the general conversation.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:49 AM

OMG the craziness of this thread. I'm trying to read through it and already my skin is crawling after just the first page!

I hardly know where to start, but I guess I'll just say for starters that that old dude Jim Crow is apparently still alive and kicking in the Old US of A.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:51 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
It's probably because of the "one-drop rule" that someone made up - if you have ANY level of black inside you, you are considered black just like someone who is pure black ancestry. EVEN if you are 99% white and 1% black.

A lot of people think that most black people are bad people, which is not true.

I'll add this one fact: Blacks have the highest average crime rate, but no black person has ever committed a serious crime such as a mass shooting.

Just because someone is black doesn't mean that they are bad people. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they were once slaves back in the day and were treated and viewed negatively ever since?
Wow, education really has fallen apart. Maybe you should watch the film 'Hotel Rwanda' for a little different view of things.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
I'll add this one fact: Blacks have the highest average crime rate, but no black person has ever committed a serious crime such as a mass shooting.
Please.

https://blackpeoria.wordpress.com/li...erial-killers/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates