Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:02 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Facts are facts. It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing.
Again, you didn't present any facts - you just said everyone's grandmother was a liar. How can you know any facts about me or my lineage? Did you know my grandmother Rose or grandmother Edith? You don't. You did not provide any links to any source of data - you just spouted your opinions. Those are not facts.

And you need to apologize to your grandmothers and your mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsDEN View Post
to me, this presents the conundrum of how one 'identifies' themselves,
if that identification is incongruent with the norms of a community -
which is fine and dandy by me - but does have societal and cultural consequences in certain instances.
Exactly. Our President certainly identifies as a black man even though his mother was, by all accounts, lily white. Is he wrong? I think it's up to him to make that determination.

Several of my cousins have done the "genealogy" thing on my mother's and father's families. They all point back to Ireland/Scotland/England/Germany. Is it possible that somewhere back there some other genetic material was introduced? Yes it is possible but at some point that becomes irrelevant. If we go back 10 or a 1,000 generations (or 10,000 or ??) who cares what we find.

And if Bruce Jenner can be a woman, I sure as hell can be any race/ethnicity I want to be.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:01 PM

633 posts, read 640,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Exactly. Our President certainly identifies as a black man even though his mother was, by all accounts, lily white. Is he wrong? I think it's up to him to make that determination.
well not really, since race is largely a social construct- what you "are" is to a great degree determined by how other people treat you, not how you feel inside your own head. It's nice to say it's "up to him" to make that determination, but stick Obama prior to 1965 and you'll see it isn't at all. Society decided that based on appearance, and removed human rights accordingly. We're no longer legally enforcing that kind of discrimination at the state/federal level, but the behavior is largely still there. Were he not famous, Obama would be passed over for jobs, followed around in retail stores by security, and white women would cross the street to avoid him after nightfall just like the rest of us. There is absolutely no scenario where someone who looks as he does would be treated exactly as a white man would.

Quote:
Several of my cousins have done the "genealogy" thing on my mother's and father's families. They all point back to Ireland/Scotland/England/Germany. Is it possible that somewhere back there some other genetic material was introduced? Yes it is possible but at some point that becomes irrelevant. If we go back 10 or a 1,000 generations (or 10,000 or ??) who cares what we find.

And if Bruce Jenner can be a woman, I sure as hell can be any race/ethnicity I want to be.
Interesting you point this one out, since as another person mentioned the Irish were not considered to be "white people" when this country was founded and for quite some time afterwards. US highschools usually gloss over the irish being forcibly sold into slavery right alongside africans and bred with them to create slaves of higher value.

There's no genetic reason why this would be the case with the Irish and not the French or Spanish- only a societal one.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:09 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,930 times
Quote:
Again, you didn't present any facts - you just said everyone's grandmother was a liar. How can you know any facts about me or my lineage?
I said no such thing. As was already explained by others, reference was made to "your grandmother" in a representative, not a literal sense. The fact remains that whether yours is among them or not, families routinely distort and misrepresent their actual histories on many fronts, a diverse racial heritage being a common one among them.

Quote:
And you need to apologize to your grandmothers and your mother.
They are all long dead.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:27 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
There is absolutely no scenario where someone who looks as he does would be treated exactly as a white man would.
As Obama himself has said about his experiences hailing a cab in New York City, nobody ever said, "Oh, look. There's a mixed-race guy. I'll go pick him up."

Old 09-30-2015, 04:21 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
In Texas, Hispanic people, while retaining a love for their heritage, and mostly becoming part of working class America. IE they are assimilating. I've even heard that some Hispanics don't even identify as such, they check "white" on forms where race is a question. White and Hispanic dating and marriages are no unusual and I've never seen one racists attitude about it in 18 years I've lived in Texas.

My next door neighbors are Hispanic, but you'd never be able to know by their behavior from any other typical middle class white American in the Midwest. Very nice kids, keeps his property up. One of their parents even has an old Reagan for President sticker on his car. If the MSM and the Democrats assume that they'll vote as a democratic block, they're kidding themselves.
Well, that has a lot to do with Texas history - where the Tejano culture has been relatively mainstreamed to be part and parcel of Texas culture. So it's not surprising that the Texas Republican party has cultivated and groomed a lot of Hispanic Republican officials.

That didn't happen in California, where the many of the local Latinos, which included large landowners, part of the Californios, got their land swindled back in the 19th century, and thus culturally, economically and politically marginalized.

Thus by comparison, your Texas Hispanic on average may be in the country longer, often for generations, than a California Latino. And maybe that was the political calculation Governor Pete Wilson made in the 1990s to run for re-election on an anti-immigrant stance aimed at Latinos in California. He did win, but at great cost to his state party - alienating a voting group, which was often up for grabs for either party, to go overwhelmingly to the Democrats ever since.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
I said no such thing. As was already explained by others, reference was made to "your grandmother" in a representative, not a literal sense. The fact remains that whether yours is among them or not, families routinely distort and misrepresent their actual histories on many fronts, a diverse racial heritage being a common one among them.

They are all long dead.
Rey you just keep repeating yourself. get over it.

Nothing new here folks. Move along.

Mahalo

Old 09-30-2015, 08:06 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
In southern Minnesota the Mexicans who are settling here are doing a magnificent job of assimilating. That may be helped by the fact that through agricultural seasonal work we have had over a century's long association.

They've brought new life to small town MN and demonstrate values systems which are desirable to the area. It appears they have been made welcome and are taking their rightful place as participating members of the communities in which they live.

If the statement that race is a social construct were undeniably true, which modern science is daily proving not exactly accurate, it would still be fair to say that it is the social aspects of race that will be the binding or dividing factors among us. A common set of values goes a long way toward overlooking less important differences.

Last edited by Lodestar; 09-30-2015 at 08:16 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 12:55 AM

10 posts, read 9,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Were those two groups ever not white?
[url]http://2static2.fjcdn.com/comments/Akulakhan+used+roll+picture+akulakhan+rolled+image +and+his+name+is+_70d3036823ceb89c742b52be82270eec .jpg[/url]

yes, very much so

Old 10-01-2015, 08:53 AM

572 posts, read 552,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

If the statement that race is a social construct were undeniably true, which modern science is daily proving not exactly accurate, it would still be fair to say that it is the social aspects of race that will be the binding or dividing factors among us. A common set of values goes a long way toward overlooking less important differences.
I think that the social construct theory is true to some extent, but that the perspectives around such issues change over time as more people become more cognizant of humanity's general same-ness; and are generally less susceptable to buying into wholesale (negative) racial and cultural stereotypes.

Sure, we still have a ways to go - but that's my take at the moment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates