Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 06:51 PM

85 posts, read 84,119 times

Advertisements

Logically it does not make senses why those with the lowest education and wages always have the most children. This happens all over the world and take for example Nigeria. It is expected to overtake the USA by 2050 in population and Africa is expected to account for more than half of the world's population growth over the next 35 years. When the majority of people in Africa are starving and can barely feed themselves this makes no sense. The world needs population control because the poor and uneducated are a liability in my opinion. Why is this happening and if more poor people are born why should advanced Western societies care? If they can't feed themselves than they should suffer the consequences. I know I am heartless but whatever.

India 'to overtake China's population by 2022' - UN - BBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 10:23 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times
Wow...

Well it actually makes perfect sense. Poor and uneducated people don't have access to healthcare or money to spend on things like condems and birth control, but they still have sex drives, lovers, partners, spouses and their basic human needs need to be met.

Also, I guess you'd be surprised to know that poorly educated people often don't even realize how babies are made because, even in our civilized society we can't even provide proper sex education to our most affluent population, so the poor kids don't even have a chance. I knew the bare basics of how babies were made prior to getting pregnant the first time sex= sperm meets egg, viola! But I learned about an entirely new world of things once I found out I was pregnant and started really reading up on the topic. It is kind of embarrassing how little we know about our own bodies.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:43 PM

434 posts, read 248,018 times
Kids used to be your retirement fund and still are in most of the third world. Have as many as possible to up the odds a few will get decent jobs and look after you in your old age.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:55 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Because they are poor and uneducated. I have always found it disturbing, too. There is no control over this, partly due to just freely "jumping upon women and doing it" without facing consequences. Then there are tons of poor, little beings who did not ask for this, having to live in poverty and suffer, not to mention overpopulating the poorest areas. And others are called upon to help out to feed and keep them alive.. just to remain in poverty and horrible conditions. It should be considered abuse, neglect - a crime. (I think there have been attempts to supply birth control, that was resisted).

And it is actually not much better in ways with those in the U.S., who just do whatever they want and do not consider outcomes.. parents denying the need for Sex Ed, those resisting use of birth control, giving birth despite one's situation, forced marriages.. poverty, divorce, child support, dysfunctional homes, no choice but welfare. In addition - kids without fathers or women having kids by different men, single parenting by those who cannot provide, addiction, not supplying care or guidance, kids becoming runaways, joining gangs, contributing crime and ending up in overcrowded prisons, contributing to Mental Health issues. It doesn't end.

Life is hard, so why add to making it even more difficult -- all beginning with sex that can occur in a flash leaving one pregnant - but with the ability to prevent it, why does this continue?? (Maybe if there were incentives to not do this... since people relate to $$, maybe that is the key).

I am not meaning others who, despite poverty, bad circumstances or needing assistance, are still able to maintain a home life, get ahead and raise children to achieve, some having done so and will.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:27 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Wow...

Well it actually makes perfect sense. Poor and uneducated people don't have access to healthcare or money to spend on things like condems and birth control, but they still have sex drives, lovers, partners, spouses and their basic human needs need to be met.

Also, I guess you'd be surprised to know that poorly educated people often don't even realize how babies are made because, even in our civilized society we can't even provide proper sex education to our most affluent population, so the poor kids don't even have a chance. I knew the bare basics of how babies were made prior to getting pregnant the first time sex= sperm meets egg, viola! But I learned about an entirely new world of things once I found out I was pregnant and started really reading up on the topic. It is kind of embarrassing how little we know about our own bodies.
Yes, because despite a vast preoccupation with anything sexual, there exists a conflicting attitude regarding viewing the human body or allowing for a real understanding of sexuality. There would have been fewer problems, emotional issues or hangups, if a negative outlook did not persist.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:07 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Most people in our country do have access to healthcare and bc, but being uneducated they often don't think or care about such things.

I know people who's teeth are rotting in their heads who COULD EASILY go to a dentist, but they don't. One girl in her early 30's I worked with told me that her parents both got dentures when they were fairly young and she figured she would too. There is really no explaining that.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:46 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
To answer your question: "Why do the poor and uneducated have the most children?"

I wondered the same, but then I watched a documentary about poor countries in Africa that explained it.

People have as many children as possible because out of, say 10 children, 4 or 5 might live to take care of their parents when they are no longer able to care for themselves. I think that even given condoms and being educated on how babies are conceived, they wouldn't use them.

IMO, this is VERY selfish. Survival of the fittest is a pitiful reason to propagate, but it's the sad truth.

If I knew I would give birth to a child who didn't stand half a chance of living, I wouldn't want to conceive it in the first place

-------------------------------------------------------------
As for poorer people living in higher economic countries, having sex is theraputic when you are unhappy with your life. It lets you forget your troubles for a short time. It is also a free form of entertainment when you can't afford anything else.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:31 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
It's all about the role of women. In poor traditional societies, women are relegated to raising children while men are out hunting or working the field.

As a society develops and becomes more affluent and industrialized, women acquire more education and are able to find jobs, disrupting the traditional roles. Essentially they become pseudo-males. Women in this case don't want 10 kids (even though the men still might).

Also, industrial societies jack up the cost of living to the point where it's impractical to have large families. For example, the need to buy progressively larger wardrobes rather than just let the kids run around naked, the need to pay for transportation, dental care, school supplies and so forth.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:50 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
I wonder how much of it cause and effect. IE how many people are poor because they had children. I had 8 kids, and would be in a far far better place financially if I had none.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:07 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
While we in America have an innate repulsion for poverty, in most parts of the world it is a given way of life. Whether you have 20 children or no children, you will be poor.

We Americans have to stop feeling sorry for these people. Maybe they are happier living in poverty with their numerous children than we are living in prosperity with our few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates