Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 06:20 PM

366 posts, read 494,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
What would society look and feel like if criminals, mentally ill, etc, and those who requested euthanization were treated accordingly?

there are some people the world would be better without because after all the help we've offered them, they remain problematic & harmful.
So the mentally ill are automatically not worthy of life, eh? So if you have say, depression or phobias, you're on the DIE list? Some of the greatest minds in humanity have also been plagued with illness (mental illness seems to tie in with genius, shall we start looking for geniuses with acrophobia to kill?)

If we killed ALL criminals, we'd have hardly anyone left. If you cheat on your taxes, you're a criminal. If you run a red light, you're a criminal. If you speed, criminal. That's a lot of people.

So are you OK with eugenics, weeding out the "undesirables" of society like Margaret Sanger wanted?

And about "all the help we've offered them" -- what does that mean? I have not personally offered help to everyone in the world. I can't just waltz up to some homeless guy and say, you didn't use MY tax dollars in the way I wanted so you DIE.

That would be painfully stupid, not to mention narrow minded and in some cases downright obtuse. Why should all the obtuse people get to LIVE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 06:23 PM

366 posts, read 494,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
One thing to remember is that we are all one car accident or serious illness away from losing our independence. Think about what may really happen if the OP's plan were really applied.

I may or may not end up being eliminated depending on who's deciding.
Seems to me that a lot of people think they're impervious to bad stuff. We have some serious ego tripping going on.

And who gets to be the one who decides who stays and who goes, anyway? I'm sure it will be someone with a lot of money because money equal VALUE.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:05 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSonner View Post
Seems to me that a lot of people think they're impervious to bad stuff. We have some serious ego tripping going on.

And who gets to be the one who decides who stays and who goes, anyway? I'm sure it will be someone with a lot of money because money equal VALUE.
People who favor such things always look to people they believe beneath themselves as targets for extermination.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:20 PM

151 posts, read 159,490 times
It should be legalized. No one chose to be born. It's a kick in the balls when you are suffering and people tell you to go to therapy and take some useless sugar pill antidepressant. Some people are hopeless. It's just how it is. We need to accommodate for them. It's the only humane thing to do.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:20 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosk8er View Post
It should be legalized. No one chose to be born. It's a kick in the balls when you are suffering and people tell you to go to therapy and take some useless sugar pill antidepressant. Some people are hopeless. It's just how it is. We need to accommodate for them. It's the only humane thing to do.
If you can go to therapy, you can also end your own life....yourself.
Would you really be OK with some gov official making the choice for you whether you live or die?
Nix the suger pill.....we don't need to accomadate ANYONE who wants to die....that's their choice...leave the gov and everyone else out of it.
Take charge of your own life AND death...you don't need anyones OK or permission to die if you so choose......no one has the right to make that decision for you, and the means for suicide are abundant.
Is killing (euthanizing) innocent people something you would really consider?.....who would decide? who would you give the power of life or death to????some corrupt politician?

Old 09-29-2015, 09:26 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i think its a great idea, anybody in prison with a twenty year or longer sentence be the first
Look up how many innocent people have been jailed for longer than 20 years before they were finally found to be innocent......

Old 10-03-2015, 01:13 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
I really would like to see this become legal as well

I think it should be a choice for an individual capable of making a rational decision about their life.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:56 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
After having read the first half dozen replies or so, it makes me wonder how many people even believe in God on this forum
Life is a gift from God according to most religions, and in most cases, it is a sin to kill others or even yourself.
So the OP's notion seems devoid of any such consideration, as well as the posts I read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates