Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 05:04 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,170 times

Advertisements

You cannot blame all Muslims for rapes ( UK and Sweden), especially Shia Muslims, who are much more articulate, artistic and worded peoples. The UK Muslim Rape Gangs ( and there are a lot) are Sunni background ( same as the terrorists), mainly uneducated, illiterate Pakistani and Bangladeshi origin. I suspect these rapists ( as they do in Asia), cannot get girlfriends ( Asian women seem to be very highly educated and choosy) and do not want a young man with no prospects ( apart from a cheap ride home). But having had a friend who married into the Sunni world, and left him. ( Spoilt, lying ,lives in a fantasy world, little mummy`s boy.. kin fact he treated his mother in Algeria like ****).. You can see how these young Sunni boys, and girls drift into extremism as they are not rounded people. Rape is only a by-product of hating women ( if you hate even your own mother). White trash is the Pakistani view ( not all) in Northern England
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 09:09 AM

20 posts, read 24,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I just think it is interesting that (at least from what I have read and observed) that Asians have had a much easier time being accepted in the U.S. than people from Mexico.

The reason this is especially interesting is because Spanish is much closer to English than the Asian languages are, and because people from Mexico, in general, are often much more WASP-ish in appearance than Asians are. Plus, this is also remarkable because we have not been at war with Mexico since 1848 -- and compare that to our foreign enemies just in the past century! Yet, I think most people (again, no facts, just my opinion from reading and observation) would much prefer having someone with (for example) recent Japanese ancestry, living next door, than someone who was born in the U.S., but mostly speaks Spanish. (This is going by the foregoing alone, meaning they would have nothing else on which to judge.)

My opinion is that Asians seem to value education and "getting ahead" more than many people with Mexican ancestry (of course, I am speaking generally and definitely not always), which is more in line with traditional WASP values.

I think any native-born European-American would gladly accept anyone who works hard, is polite and considerate to others, tries to fit in with the majority (race, culture) of the community, and keeps his/her residence well-maintained.

So, in short, I definitely agree that the willingness to display traditional Anglo values is the key factor as to whether someone from another country is both welcomed and accepted in most U.S. middle-class "white" communities.
As someone married to an Asian for years, (perhaps I am biased, and I am a Caucasian), I feel that this group that fully assimilates quickly to the US society (in SPECIFIC Asian societies). They don't riot, demand 'equal rights amendments', and run 'under the radar', while providing a strong work ethic, and create successful businesses. The far-east Indian population also can integrate rather well.
My only experience in terms of immigrants is those from the Far East (Asian and India); I have had hundreds of these immigrants (or now full citizens) work for me.
Spend some time in Boston, (specifically over the river) at MIT and Harvard, and others will get a clue. I did. They come, they stay, they assimilate, and they produce a tremendous amount of wealth for this country. Granted, as a multi-generational western-European immigrant (well, 3 generations ago), (and not to get political, as that is for a different forum)... But the (stereotypical) trying-to-get-by American deadbeat (and that is too strong a term)... I feel they are obsolete and do not deserve any support from the 'guvernment'.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:44 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times
As for Hispanics here in the Northeast:
- Half of them assimilate well with whites (mostly the suburban hispanics in white areas).
- The other half assimilate well with blacks (mostly the city hispanics); they're really the only other group that blacks allow to use the n-word. This is especially true of Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and other Caribbean hispanics.
- Hispanics of native ancestry tend to take the longest to assimilate with an american group (Salvadoreans and other Central Americans)

Asians, Indians and Arabs: Eventually assimilate well with Whites. My friend thinks that they even "act whiter than white people" lol. They have no choice since they have very few of their own racial communities in America to remain insular at.
- Guyanese/Trinidadian Indians tend to integrate fairly well with Black Americans.

- Black Caribbeans usually assimilate extremely well with Black Americans even by the 1st generation.
- Black African immigrants are a wild card. They don't assimilate as well with Black Americans as the Caribbeans. Many of the ones from highly educated backgrounds often look down on Black Americans and try to assimilate with whites like the Asians. African immigrants are an extremely educated group on average.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 12-19-2015 at 12:20 PM..

Old 12-19-2015, 01:41 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
As for Hispanics here in the Northeast:
- Half of them assimilate well with whites (mostly the suburban hispanics in white areas).
- The other half assimilate well with blacks (mostly the city hispanics); they're really the only other group that blacks allow to use the n-word. This is especially true of Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and other Caribbean hispanics.
- Hispanics of native ancestry tend to take the longest to assimilate with an american group (Salvadoreans and other Central Americans)

Asians, Indians and Arabs: Eventually assimilate well with Whites. My friend thinks that they even "act whiter than white people" lol. They have no choice since they have very few of their own racial communities in America to remain insular at.
- Guyanese/Trinidadian Indians tend to integrate fairly well with Black Americans.

- Black Caribbeans usually assimilate extremely well with Black Americans even by the 1st generation.
- Black African immigrants are a wild card. They don't assimilate as well with Black Americans as the Caribbeans. Many of the ones from highly educated backgrounds often look down on Black Americans and try to assimilate with whites like the Asians. African immigrants are an extremely educated group on average.

This is true. I've met quite a few African immigrants and befriended some. They all considered many African Americans lazy, entitled and unwilling to better themselves through education. One was completely dumbfounded when a light-skinned ghetto AA chick made fun of him for having extremely dark skin. Never mind that he was working during the day and taking engineering college classes at night and she had no job. Or that making fun of dark skinned people was racist.

I don't know if the Africans coming here are representative of their home country, or if we're getting the educated elite, but most of the ones I've met would likely succeed anywhere.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:51 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Hispanics, of course. That's a No Brainer. we have been "assimilating" thousands of them Monthly without even being fully aware of it. What other kind can sneak into a place illegally by the Millions, and have the Government say its not a big deal, here is your Drivers License, here is your welfare card, and feel free to get a job anywhere you want. As a "Bonus" for being Illegal, have a Baby and make a Citizen with all perks included. .

Old 12-20-2015, 10:02 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
You'll have trouble assimilating anywhere if you can't WRITE your own native language, much less English/French/Spanish. The quickest up here to assimilate are the societies where education/work ethic is valued.

Asians of all kinds assimilate as their culture has a strong work ethic and values education above all else. Period.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:06 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
This is true. I've met quite a few African immigrants and befriended some. They all considered many African Americans lazy, entitled and unwilling to better themselves through education. One was completely dumbfounded when a light-skinned ghetto AA chick made fun of him for having extremely dark skin. Never mind that he was working during the day and taking engineering college classes at night and she had no job. Or that making fun of dark skinned people was racist.

I don't know if the Africans coming here are representative of their home country, or if we're getting the educated elite, but most of the ones I've met would likely succeed anywhere.
This has been my experience, too. In fact, I did read a few years ago that African immigrants are the most highly educated immigrants to the US.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:03 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post

When an African, who is an engineer, compares himself to a black American, who is a high school drop out, he injures himself. What he should do is compare himself with equally educated Indian immigrants, and then wonder why he does no better than the considerably less educated Jamaicans.

It is quite clear that African immigrants, who are from the educational elites in their societies (more than 50% of Nigerians do NOT finish primary school), aren't able to translate this into higher median household earnings.

The result is that they boost their self esteem by looking down on people considerably less educated than they are, and repeating the racist bigotry that they hear from whites. Educated black Americans do much better than do Africans with equivalent background. Should people from the ghettoes of Lagos migrate to the USA they would do no better than would their American equivalent. In fact uneducated Africans in France suffer from the same problems that inner city Americans blacks have.

In fact it is possible to argue that Africans suffer MORE from racism than do either black Americans, or black Caribbean immigrants. In addition to enduring the challenges that all blacks must, they have an additional stigma based on the biases that many have about Africa.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
This has been my experience, too. In fact, I did read a few years ago that African immigrants are the most highly educated immigrants to the US.

Moderator cut: Off topic If some one comes from a continent with the highest levels of illiteracy on this planet, clearly they represent an educated elite. Not some indication that Africans perform better, because were this the case there wouldn't be so many illiterates in Africa.

Last edited by Jeo123; 12-23-2015 at 01:36 PM..

Old 12-23-2015, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Asians of all kinds assimilate as their culture has a strong work ethic and values education above all else. Period.

I wonder if the Indians who migrate to the Gulf States (mainly poor and uneducated) were the same as those who migrate to the USA (disproportionately from middle class backgrounds) if you would be able to say the same.

Mexicans do worse than Indians because it is the POOR of Mexico who migrate to the USA. The more educated Mexicans don't. It isn't that Mexicans are less interested in education when compared to Indians. It is the TYPE of Mexican who migrates, vs. the type of Indian who does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates