Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 07:47 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
It depends on how one defines assimilation.

Caribbean immigrants don't care what Asian immigrant communities think of them. They do not see Asian home countries or cultures as anything to write home about so they are at most indifferent to or amused by their racism.

Many immigrants of various backgrounds do view WASP parents as lazy and indifferent. And although those immigrants may harbor prejudice against each other, that's likely something most would agree upon. Cultural differences really.

(BTW, not all Caribbean people are of African descent. So if you mean to specify Afro-Caribbean people, then it's best to do that).
Yes, my uncle married a woman of Indian descent who grew up in the Caribbean, and I've travelled there, so I know that not all Caribbean people are of African descent. But, fair enough; I should have been more specific.

But you need to clarify what you mean when you refer to WASPs. Do you mean White Anglo Saxon Protestant, specifically? How do you know they're Anglo Saxon and/or Protestant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 08:05 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Could someone please give the definition of "assimilate?"
to take in and incorporate as one's own

O.P. That is hard to tell since America is one of the few countries where assimilating isn't required to feel part of the country. Just attach your native origin to Americans and that's it. Most Americans adapt to other cultures, enjoy their food, their history as if it's their own. America is a unique country that way.

Now, in my mothers native country there is pressure to assimilate and if you aren't Korean you'll never be a Korean. Even if you have generation after generation of children there. Even though I was born in America my grandmother in Korea would still ask me when I would be coming back to my country. lol I'm never an American to her. Very different from the U.S. Most other countries have much more of a "native" feel than America.

But, still, my shoes never touch the floor of a house. and I'm a second generation, somethings just stick.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:45 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Yes, my uncle married a woman of Indian descent who grew up in the Caribbean, and I've travelled there, so I know that not all Caribbean people are of African descent. But, fair enough; I should have been more specific.

But you need to clarify what you mean when you refer to WASPs. Do you mean White Anglo Saxon Protestant, specifically? How do you know they're Anglo Saxon and/or Protestant?
You used WASP in your post, so I used the same in keeping with the conversation. So why did you find it necessary to use it?

Old 03-06-2016, 05:29 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
I find it ironic that assimilating would ever be an issue in a country created by people who refused to assimilate in the country they left. We are a country of individuals (rugged individualism and all that), even when those individuals are different from you. Frankly those differences go a long way towards our successes.

Assimilate is a word that belongs in a George Orwell novel.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:54 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
You used WASP in your post, so I used the same in keeping with the conversation. So why did you find it necessary to use it?
I used it in my post because another poster (s) had used it in theirs.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:24 PM

854 posts, read 586,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
anybody that immigrates as a small child and grows up here and finishes public school will be very likely to be fully adapted.

people that didnt grow up here will never fully assimilate.

if you were to immigrate to a country in the Middle East right now, I doubt you would ever fully assimilate either, you would learn the local laws, customs, etc, but you would always feel like an outsider and not be like them, but your children would have a better chance.

That's not true imo my bestie is from Bahrain and moved to Canada 12 years ago and you wouldn't even know she wasn't born here; few realize it until she tells them.

She did have the advantage of going to school in English, being taught by Brits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates