Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:57 PM

5,214 posts, read 2,977,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think those are some very dodgy semantics you're playing with, but OK, let's go with it. Does the guy who passed out on the bed have some personal responsibility for getting raped? Is at least a small percentage of being penetrated by another man his fault, i.e., responsibility?
The victim(no matter the sex) has some personally responsibility for knowingly putting themselves into a potentially danger. They do not have responsibility for being rapped. There is a difference.

And what semantics are you talking about?

Old 10-29-2015, 11:06 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,102,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
The victim(no matter the sex) has some personally responsibility for knowingly putting themselves into a potentially danger. They do not have responsibility for being rapped. There is a difference.

And what semantics are you talking about?
Should all men (and post-pubescent boys) be considered dangerous?

Old 10-29-2015, 11:34 PM

5,214 posts, read 2,977,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Should all men (and post-pubescent boys) be considered dangerous?
Everyone, no matter the sex has the potential to be dangerous.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:56 AM

7,712 posts, read 12,564,763 times
None if it is rape. People need to take responsibility for their own reckless behaviors. The human race doesn't run on political correctness. If someone can take advantage of you, they will. And there's not a law that will protect you from that. You have to be smart and protect yourself.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:16 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,348,246 times
I think people should be aware of their surroundings and make safer choices regardless of their sex, but it is still100% the rapists fault. Women and men have been raped on buses, parks, parties, on the beach, in church, in public bathrooms etc...

There is no "safe haven" for either sex and you are fooling yourself if you think that. Some people are sexual predators and they alone are responsible.

Blaming the victim makes some people feel better, because they wouldn't have made the same choice so they are "safe". They feel like Those people that are raped were stupid. A common attitude is...My mother and/or daughter would be "smarter" so I don't have to worry about rape. "Men" don't get raped, and my son/I would be able to fight off the attacker.

And this continued belief is why I have held a sobbing 18 year old boy in my arms as he can't tell anyone his secret. He must have deserved it.

Nope, not even close.

Just wait until it's someone you love and are close to, or even yourself. This attitude sickens me.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
None if it is rape. People need to take responsibility for their own reckless behaviors. The human race doesn't run on political correctness. If someone can take advantage of you, they will. And there's not a law that will protect you from that. You have to be smart and protect yourself.
Yes, be smart. It's not your fault if you are assaulted though. Try to be safe, but I know boys who have been raped in church's, so there is no safe haven really. Teach self awareness and protection, but also that the victim is not to blame. See the difference? Probably not.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Everyone, no matter the sex has the potential to be dangerous.
Yes, everyone is a potential threat. That still doesn't make it the victims fault.

For the posters saying it's the girls fault...Come on guys...you've never been to a party? You've never had a beer or two? If so, you are a normal person and are not asking or responsible if you are raped.

I am hyper aware of my surroundings and very very careful, but I could still be raped because some people are predators. It happens and it's their fault. Not mine.

You guys seem stuck on blaming the victim.

This is why hundreds of people can stand by as a passed out girl is raped in front of them at a party. They kind of think she is stupid and deserves it. That's sick.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:37 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,535,396 times
i heard on the radio yesterday that it is like drinking tea with someone.

if a person was incapable of deciding to drink tea then it would be assault if someone were to pour tea down their throat.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:45 AM

16,381 posts, read 10,404,319 times
Some posters on this thread would do well to learn the concept of contributory negligence.

Consider two scenarios:

1. a woman goes into a public restroom, and is suddenly confronted by a sexual predator who blocks the door, covers her mouth so she can't scream, then violates her.

2. a woman goes to a frat party, gets so drunk that she can't remember anything, and passes out on someone's bed. A frat boy follows her to the room and violates her.

In both of these cases, the rapist is 100% responsible for the crime. In the first case, the woman bears no share of the blame whatsoever; she is an innocent victim. But in the second case, the woman put herself into a situation that she knew, or should have known, could lead to bad consequences. She is still not to blame for the rape itself (that's the fault of the rapist), but she is to blame for willfully being negligent and putting herself into a situation (i.e. being fall-down drunk at a frat party) that is known to be risky. In other words, she is guilty of contributory negligence.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:47 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,886,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Girl, of her own free will, drinks and or abuses drugs. While under the influence she consents to having sex with one or more people. She awakens with no memory of the previous night and in bed with one or more guys. She claims date rape. Is it rape and how could a guy,who also may have been under the influence and have a sketchy at best memory of the night before?

Before you answer, reverse the gender. I knew a guy in the Navy who, if he got drunk on tequila, would do things he would not normally do. One morning he awoke in bed next to a large ugly woman he had no memory of agreeing to have sex with. She took advantage of his mental state for her own personal gain. Could he claim rape and if so, how would she be able to defend herself?
I find it interesting you mention that the guy has sex with a "large ugly woman" while drunk yet don't mention the appearance of the man the woman has sex with when describing these scenarios. Not only that, you offer up the hypothetical scenario of the woman doing an orgy while the man has the tryst with only one partner. Curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates