Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 01:01 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I am for it when your trying to protect your home/country,etc. Take Israel for example they have NEVER had a attack on their home land. Why? Racial profiling. I stated this before on the forum people whine how about they want to be safe, but at the same time they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings either.
You can't have it both ways.
There have been numerous attacks on Israel. What constitutes an 'attack' in your world? Israel cannot resist the cheap labor and whipping boy status of the Palestinian people and everyday thousands of Palestinians go through checkpoints to do scut work in Israel. Israel could truly NEVER have an attack in their homeland if they were to leave Palestinians alone, have nothing to do with them. Build that fence. America should never have existed as an extension of the British Empire. But it does. And black people are here because the British Colonists wanted slave labor. Even in 2015 the quaint notion that black people should actually be paid for the work they do remains anathema to millions of white people and they do everything they can to avoid doing it. If you are having to profile people, something is wrong. Very wrong. There is never a just reason for doing it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 05:14 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
I am for it when your trying to protect your home/country,etc. Take Israel for example they have NEVER had a attack on their home land. Why? Racial profiling. I stated this before on the forum people whine how about they want to be safe, but at the same time they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings either.
Except for one yhing. This is not Israel. Making sucj a comparison is dishonest and irrational. Israel had a real national security threat on its hands.

In the USA, we have criminals mostly going after their own people in their own communities.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:37 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Quote:
Please explain how a racial profiling program would work in the context of the Oklahoma City bombing or mass shootings?

I don't buy the argument that right wing white domestic terrorism is actually a bigger threat than radial Islamic terrorism. But, it is still a very real threat nonetheless.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:48 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Even in 2015 the quaint notion that black people should actually be paid for the work they do remains anathema to millions of white people and they do everything they can to avoid doing it.

Seriously? Can you honestly identify anyone beyond a couple hundred sheet wearers who feels this way, in this day and age? Even people who aren't necessarily all that fond of black people aren't advocating their re-enslavement.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:08 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Seriously? Can you honestly identify anyone beyond a couple hundred sheet wearers who feels this way, in this day and age? Even people who aren't necessarily all that fond of black people aren't advocating their re-enslavement.
Did I say anything about re-enslavement? That ship has sailed. Hispanics are now here to do the low wage work, so mass incarceration of black people is the new paradigm. Imprisonment of black men is about saturated, so black women are now being targeted, and the imprisonment of black women has more than doubled in recent years. Whites are imprisoned at about 0.4% of their total population, and this is considered outrageously high for a developed country. Blacks are imprisoned at 12% of their total population, and every state has prison projects underway to imprison even more. Those black men that manage to avoid imprisonment can expect to work for half that of white men in the same job title. Black women do much better at 70%, but that still lags behind white women at 75% of the Gold Standard white male.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:14 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Profiling is a good idea and should be done more often.

Scofflaws hide behind the notion that no mater who you are or what you look like you should not be challenged. If the population of the US were not so intimidated by anti-profiling talk the San Bernardino shooting may never have occurred.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Profiling is a good idea and should be done more often.

Scofflaws hide behind the notion that no mater who you are or what you look like you should not be challenged. If the population of the US were not so intimidated by anti-profiling talk the San Bernardino shooting may never have occurred.
I disagree

Why? This is my reason. We have had mass shootings before San Bernadino. Something about racial profiling. Whenever I hear someone supporting racial profiling, this is what I see.

I see it as rights being infringed on. It basically says "you're guilty until proven innocent ".

Old 12-09-2015, 09:35 AM

As someone who has been racially profiled, I won't support it. I know what it feels like. When it happened to me, it wasted my time. It did not make me feel safe. It made me more afraid that safe. It made me understand that I was being singled out.

Now, in my case, it was not necessarily the police. It was some individual doing this. In one case the police were called, and it was proven that I was no threat. The fact that I have to prove I'm not a threat, that is disturbing. This is why I don't think racial profiling is right. It operates under "guilty until proven innocent ".

Now, in my own personal life, this is what matters. What did I get from being singled out? How did it help me? Why would I support racial profiling after what I went through?

Old 12-09-2015, 10:06 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
I oppose racial profiling on principal. But, acknowledge it can be a useful factor to provide context.

Take for example, if you see 2 black women sitting in the parking lot of a historically black church. Now, imagine you see 2 young thuggish white men sitting in the parking lot of a historically black church. There is no direct evidence they are up to anything wrong, but is it illogical to completely ignore race in that context?

I don't necessarily think so. So I wouldn't complete rule out using race or group characteristic as a factor. But, I think it should be limited and only used in highly specific contexts. Not a blanket "all Muslims are potential terrorist and should be monitored" as many on here appear to be arguing.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:14 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
In this day and age, and with the worldwide threats around us, I don't think there is much of a choice but to be active in profiling. Sure, of course many errors will be made since it's humans doing the profiling, but from an overall safety standpoint I think backing off of profiling would be a huge mistake.

As an indirect example, immediately after 9/11 several times I flew, and due to my "look" the 3 times I flew then I was pulled aside for a full search. I welcomed it, because of the safety reasoning. To me no different then being asked to see my credit card, as I actually am disappointed when I am not asked to see my credit card due to so much identity theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates