Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 06:49 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times

Advertisements

Personally, I'm glad to read how the advanced culture in Europe is attracting all those war refugees.
I'm keeping an eye on the news to see how peacefully they settle into the communities and adopting the local culture without demanding that the locals change their ways because the immigrants don't like it.
I'm sure that your country will be able to reason with them and that they won't be violent when they can't get their way.
I bet that they don't have any guns or any weapons so it should be easy to keep them calm.
Just show them the papers with all the anti gun laws written on it.
They'll back down.
Here, take my advice, I'm not using it !

Old 11-05-2015, 09:02 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Or move Don't forget your passport, bu bye.
You move! The middle east is waiting with open arms to fight you with your own brand of guns! Bye, Bye! Don't forget your stupid guns! Ohh, and BTW: The year is 2015 going on 2016....The 1700's ended a while ago, maybe you want to check your calendar!

Old 11-05-2015, 09:04 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Personally, I'm glad to read how the advanced culture in Europe is attracting all those war refugees.
I'm keeping an eye on the news to see how peacefully they settle into the communities and adopting the local culture without demanding that the locals change their ways because the immigrants don't like it.
I'm sure that your country will be able to reason with them and that they won't be violent when they can't get their way.
I bet that they don't have any guns or any weapons so it should be easy to keep them calm.
Just show them the papers with all the anti gun laws written on it.
They'll back down.
Here, take my advice, I'm not using it !
I can assure you of one thing: those who immigrate to Europe won't force those countries to write: "bilingual" in their job descriptions!

The reason they immigrate is because the US won't stop pissing all those countries off, and now all those innocent citizens going by their days have to flee!

Old 11-05-2015, 09:57 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeltaOrionis View Post
Accept you just don't have many criminals in Alaska, ready to take advantage of your guns in the US.
If the problematic demographics will ever flock to your country you may start to think differently
If the problematic demographics ever flock to Alaska, they will learn what it means to face a well-armed populace who is ready and willing to use their weapons to protect themselves, their loved ones, and their way of life.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:44 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Question If you've changed your mind since you started this thread, why not come out and admit you've changed your mind?

Quote:
I stated endless times that gun-banning should obviously not extended to small rural and hunting communities who truly need them and that obviously don't have the criminal demographics of big cities. This is actually how it works in most of the first world, if you are a hunter or otherwise can demonstrate you truly need a gun and you are a safe individual to bear it, you can get it.
No, actually you stated the opposite many, many times in this thread.

And you completely ignore the many thousands of law-abiding citizens who each year successfully defend themselves against "thugs" through legal guns. Thugs with knives, thugs with clubs, thugs with fists and yes, sometimes thugs with guns.

Disarming the law-abiding is just occupational safety for the criminals. Why do you want to empower the criminals to prey upon the weak with impunity?

Quote:
Well, duh. What's the point of gun control in isolated areas if in all the rest of the country is so easy to obtain / steal / traffic weapons, simply because they're everywhere, and in general owning a gun is considered a normal thing?

I'm not even talking about gun control, I'm talking about gun banning: what's the point of a citizien in a first world country in even owning a gun?
What prevents the USA from completely banning gun ownership except for the armed forces (police, army etc.) in all the USA, secure the borders with Mexico in order to not let guns in, close all the weapon shops, stop selling bullets and magazines in all the country (you don't even to take guns away from the criminals, no bullets anywhere = no shootings)?

When there are no more guns to steal, because no one owns one or sell one, and no bullets to fire because no one owns or sells one and when the borders are safely guarded (not letting guns and bullets come from Mexico) - you can guarantee the shootings will end.
And later:
Quote:
If the US imposed a strict gun-banning policy similar to Australia, you can bet that the criminals would run out of either guns or ammos in a very short time and would have nowhere to steal them or even legally buying them (what a shame) in the US.

And with the border mostly secured, it would be hard to get them from Mexico on such a gigantic scale for the entire US territory.

Really, the average high-crime neighborhood doesn't get all his weapons and ammunition refills all the way from Mexico, they're right there in USA.
The ugly truth is that the "thug" has a way easier access to weapons and ammos in USA than it does in anywhere in the other first world countries - a problem that is so easily solvable by banning guns themselves, giving no opportunity to steal them from citiziens or even legally acquire them anywhere in the US territory.
And then you say that rural states need to be disarmed because there are thugs in big cities in other states:
Quote:
It doesn't matter that the thug can't easily find citiziens to rob a gun from in Chicago because of its strict gun regulations, when it can easily acquire / steal / traffic them from all the rest of the US. Duh. That's why gun control "doesn't work", if it's partial it really doesn't matter. It's basic logic.

And citing states which are mostly rural and with less racial diversity as a counter-argument, when gangs and thugs obviously reside mostly in big cities where there's more opportunity for crime and are mostly illegal immigrants of some sort, is again a fallacious reasoning.
Quote:
Remove guns and ammos from the equation, banning them from all househoulds and stores - giving no chance for the thugs, criminals and desperate to easily buy / steal / traffic and find them practically anywhere in the US territory, and violent crime will be drastically reduced, at least on par with the rest of the first world.
Or more likely we'll end up like Venezuela, where the thugs target the police as a source of weapons and ammo, and the law-abiding citizens are entirely disarmed and easy targets for the growing numbers of violent criminals, including criminals who utilize knives, clubs, and other non-firearms weapons.

Quote:
Again, remove guns / ammo from households (nowhere to steal them) and ban the gun stores (nowhere to "legally" acquire them) and the problem is mostly solved, since they would have nowhere to find them in the US.

I'll sum it up for the last time.
By promoting such a widespread diffusion of weapons on the country you're actively helping the criminals to easily acquire / steal them without even the need to leave the US territory, your city or even your neighbor: one could as well get shot today with the very same weapon that the thug stole from his neighbor househould the other day.

That is the problem. That is the point of my thread.
If you've changed your mind since you started this thread, why not come out and admit you've changed your mind?

Old 11-05-2015, 11:45 AM

94 posts, read 78,236 times
As we tend toward the end
Little by little our freedoms get taken away
In our hands instead of tools we are handed baby rattles

Old 11-05-2015, 11:55 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I can assure you of one thing: those who immigrate to Europe won't force those countries to write: "bilingual" in their job descriptions!

The reason they immigrate is because the US won't stop pissing all those countries off, and now all those innocent citizens going by their days have to flee!
That's great because we all know how unimportant it is that all people in the work place be able to communicate with each other to improve efficientcy and profitabilty.
It's more important that these people have jobs, preferably working low wage jobs for long hours 7 days a week instead of having 2 shifts with weekends off.
The jobs that the Europeans don't want to do.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:14 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
No, actually you stated the opposite many, many times in this thread.

[...]

If you've changed your mind since you started this thread, why not come out and admit you've changed your mind?
This was a very satisfying post to read. I just read through everything in this thread, and had many of the same thoughts as you. Nicely done.

Trying to compare the US to countries without the same drug and gang violence problems? Then not adjusting for population? Then ignoring defensive gun use, overall violence/homicide rates in other countries, crime trends over time, etc.

No WONDER some people think other countries seem safer. If you only evaluate 1 puzzle piece out of the 500 piece set, you're not going to get the full picture, are you?

Old 11-05-2015, 01:08 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,222,814 times
Im not really interested in someones opinion that is from Europe. I don't tell people in Europe how they should do things so butt out of how I live my life.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:32 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
Quote:
I currently live in Europe, I dream about permanently moving to USA.
There's only one thing that truly disgusts me about the US, and it's actually a big scary thing: guns and how they're so widespread in the population for both the law-abiding citizien and the criminal.

As you seem to be very concerned about this aspect of American, i would argue that you would not be happy here in the wonderful U.S. of A. Please do not come here as you would be looking over your shoulder at all times and not really enjoying all this country has to its credit.

It is a good thing America had all those nasty guns available so as to come over to Europe and save ya all from a life under Hitler!

Oh, and don't come here and try to change it like your perfect little spot over there. But, then again, if it is so perfect why is your dream to come to America? Can't have it both ways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates