Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 02:17 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I really, really don't know why it's ok to use a
racial slur against white Americans & no other group.
I used to live in a predominantly Latino neighborhood.
'

The term is most often used by whites to describe a certain type of white sub culture. Call it classist, maybe even biased in region (most link it to the Appalachians or the South).

But racist! No way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 02:20 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veretina View Post
It's called white trash with cash. Ex: The Kardashians

Ha love how the Kardashians have convinced everyone theyre White. Theyre not, theyre half arab. Armenian to be precise.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:26 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Ha love how the Kardashians have convinced everyone theyre White. Theyre not, theyre half arab. Armenian to be precise.
You don't know what your talking about. How exactly are Armenians related to Arabs. You sound so misinformed.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:45 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
You don't know what your talking about. How exactly are Armenians related to Arabs. You sound so misinformed.

Armenians are not considered White where I live. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

Love how you assume the Kardashian bloodline is Pure Armenian. If you are actually educated you know the Armenians came from an area called Transcaucus considered Asian.

Armenia was invaded by Turkey therefore bloodline is no longer "clean" and hasn't been for centuries really. Just like the rest of us I suppose.

But they are not generally considered Caucasian, Russia does not recognize them as Caucasian any more than they do Turks and they are the nearest White Superpower so I suppose their opinion counts.

It would be interesting to do a DNA test on the Kardashians but Blind Freddy knows that skin tone is Not Caucasoid, nor are chocolate brown eyes and black hair which suggests to my unknowledgable eye Middle Eastern influence rather than Asian (round eyes). Armenia is geographically surrounded by Middle Eastern Countries.

Depending on what part of the Century it is I suppose. But they are NOT considered Caucasian, where I live. Western Asian, maybe.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:14 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Armenians are not considered White where I live. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

Love how you assume the Kardashian bloodline is Pure Armenian. If you are actually educated you know the Armenians came from an area called Transcaucus considered Asian.

Armenia was invaded by Turkey therefore bloodline is no longer "clean" and hasn't been for centuries really. Just like the rest of us I suppose.

But they are not generally considered Caucasian, Russia does not recognize them as Caucasian any more than they do Turks and they are the nearest White Superpower so I suppose their opinion counts.

It would be interesting to do a DNA test on the Kardashians but Blind Freddy knows that skin tone is Not Caucasoid, nor are chocolate brown eyes and black hair which suggests to my unknowledgable eye Middle Eastern influence rather than Asian (round eyes). Armenia is geographically surrounded by Middle Eastern Countries.

Depending on what part of the Century it is I suppose. But they are NOT considered Caucasian, where I live. Western Asian, maybe.
1. Paragraph #1 and #3 sounds like racist ideology bull. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...(well you know how the saying goes). Where do you live?

2. I mentioned nothing about about the Armenian "bloodline". To my knowledge Russians use the term white not "Caucasian". You may want to inform yourself on the fact that the Caucasus and the upper Levant is exactly where Early European Farmers the Neolithic component of Europeans are from(which btw is a substantial component found in all European populations).

3. I see you going into a rant about who is considered white and who is not.(Quack,Quack) My question was how exactly are Armenians related to Arabs? You answered that Armenia is surrounded by Middle Eastern countries the last sentence in paragraph five(where you state Armenia is surrounded by Arab countries). Armenia is surrounded by Turkey, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Iran. Which one of those is an Arab country?

4. I'm not Armenian btw but I can't let your post go unchallenged.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:08 AM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
The term does not offend me. I am white, and on occasion, I have used it, and the way some people in this country are living their lives? I will most likely use it in the future.

It does not offend me. Is it racist? No. Is it classiest? There are two kinds of class. Economic and social. To me, and to many, it is not a slur against poor people.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:44 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Why do we still use the term "white trash" to describe a poor white person? Why should we call someone "trash" just because they are poor? Why aren't middle class and upper class whites who have unfavorable personality traits considered "white trash" as well? I feel this is not fair as a poor white person can be a person with good morals and decency and still be labeled "white trash" meanwhile an upper class white person who is backstabbing, promiscuous, rude, and just shows no class might not be considered "white trash" or if anything people might say they act like "white trash" but since they aren't poor they are still not considered "white trash" at least by some. In an age of growing tolerance I still don't see why poor whites are considered "trash." It might even be racist since there is no widespread usage of the terms "Hispanic trash" or "black trash", it almost seems like Hispanics and blacks are expected to already be trash. Any thoughts or opinions?
Rednecks, hillbillies, hill jacks, white trash are all duragatory names used by white people to describe other white people who think they are a notch or two above the afore mentioned terms.

I will give you an example. There is at least one white woman who posts regularly in this city-data forum, she claims to be a liberal but often uses the term "hill jacks" to describe low class whites from small towns and the country. Everytime I see her use that word, I always think to myself, if she was to use a duragatory term to describe blacks, she would probably have her screen name blocked permanently by the powers that be, at city data forum.

Such a hypocrite that woman is.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:53 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
A lot of people self identify as redneck or hillbilly and do not consider those to be derogatory terms. They are about lifestyle/geographic origins. My grandmother still proudly tells people she's a Kentucky hillbilly even though she hasn't lived there in over 60 yrs. She would be insulted that you find the word hillbilly to be a slur, she is proud of her roots..

Old 03-06-2016, 07:41 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Lightbulb The term "white trash" has classist and maybe even racist implications. Why do we still use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Why do we still use the term "white trash" to describe a poor white person? Why should we call someone "trash" just because they are poor? Why aren't middle class and upper class whites who have unfavorable personality traits considered "white trash" as well? I feel this is not fair as a poor white person can be a person with good morals and decency and still be labeled "white trash" meanwhile an upper class white person who is backstabbing, promiscuous, rude, and just shows no class might not be considered "white trash" or if anything people might say they act like "white trash" but since they aren't poor they are still not considered "white trash" at least by some. In an age of growing tolerance I still don't see why poor whites are considered "trash." It might even be racist since there is no widespread usage of the terms "Hispanic trash" or "black trash", it almost seems like Hispanics and blacks are expected to already be trash. Any thoughts or opinions?

No need for analysis paralysis.

When the shoe fits, etc...

Of course, the more PC term w/o racial connotation would be "trailer trash."

Me?

I've lived in a trailer park twice.

So far.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:20 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
In my experience White Trash is used the most by formerly poor Whites who have achieved middle or high class status. I have never heard it used by a WASP type or minority. It's commonly used in my family by those of us who are ashamed of our poor and uneducated ancestors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates