Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 11:24 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,800,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
guys you quoted weren't even theologians, which is VERY shaky ground for claiming that they're any kind of authority on Scriptural analysis.
Missed this one. Yes they were.

Theologian:
a person who engages or is an expert in theology.

If a Rabbi practicing for 20+ years with extensive study in how religion applies to reproductive rights and a doctor with extensive education in various areas of Christianity and how they apply to controversial issues such as abortion and euthanasia, working almost exclusively for respected Christain universities aren't qualified to translate Biblical text then who the hell is? You most definitely wouldn't be! And as the article pointed out, this is not a modern day interpretation, but one that has been understood for centuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 11:39 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,629,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
That's the funny thing isn't. There are not "Christians" standing outside banks, corporate offices or billionaires houses spouting hate and damning them to hell for their greedly sins even though Jesus is VERY specific about the fact that greed is a deadly sin and talks about it dozens of times (yet not a single mention of abortion).

You don't see hoards of Christians standing outside of McDonald's or Burger King berating fat people for the sins of gluttony, for taking more than they need instead of feeding the poor. That is why I found that whole Chick-fi-la nonsense so ironic. If all those "Christians" had purchased a chicken sandwich and fed it to a homeless person, that would have been one thing, but instead those hypocrites stood in line to stuff their own fat faces. How would Jesus feel about that??

You don't see Christians calling for a mass of public stonings over proven acts of adultery; probably because most of them would be stoned to death themselves.

You don't see conservative "Christians" doing those things, because that isn't part of GOP brainwashing.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:59 PM

6,974 posts, read 4,835,084 times
Quote:
That's the funny thing isn't. There are not "Christians" standing outside banks, corporate offices or billionaires houses spouting hate and damning them to hell for their greedly sins even though Jesus is VERY specific about the fact that greed is a deadly sin and talks about it dozens of times (yet not a single mention of abortion).

You don't see hoards of Christians standing outside of McDonald's or Burger King berating fat people for the sins of gluttony, for taking more than they need instead of feeding the poor. That is why I found that whole Chick-fi-la nonsense so ironic. If all those "Christians" had purchased a chicken sandwich and fed it to a homeless person, that would have been one thing, but instead those hypocrites stood in line to stuff their own fat faces. How would Jesus feel about that??

You don't see Christians calling for a mass of public stonings over proven acts of adultery; probably because most of them would be stoned to death themselves.

You don't see conservative "Christians" doing those things, because that isn't part of GOP brainwashing.
You also don't see them standing outside of sperm banks protesting when fertilized eggs are about to be destroyed. Why is that?

Old 11-20-2015, 03:08 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,641,608 times
Quote:

Nor do you see them outside of the local courthouse begging people not to get divorced.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:25 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,963,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Why is it that unless you are part of the 1% (even then) in order to adopt a white baby you have to go to Eastern Europe? I'll tell you why. Because wealth and comfort are artificially concentrated into the 1%. In NYC to be poor means to be black and brown. I had to leave New York before I met poor people that were other than black and brown. And the poorest of these not black or brown people had more access to living at close to a Middle Class Standard than most. You could TRY to eliminate abortion through legal means or you could end poverty and indigence through a reasonable program of wealth distribution. One way is doomed to fail. That's the path you are on now. If America had the GINI index of Western Europe this thread would not need to exist! If you don't think that having 500 billionaires in a population creates a huge mass of poor people that have no recourse except unwanted pregnancy roulette then you are badly misguided. Why are we talking about Russian children? Why aren't American parents adopting American children? Do you hear the subtle, but pervasive White Supremacy that tinges these thoughts? Hmmmm. Norway would have the exact same income and wealth distribution as the U.S. if it had the same racial demographics. But it does not. All but 2% to 3% of Norwegians share the same ancestry. That is changing of course and don't think that isn't causing a lot of hand-wringing and outright violence. Abortion is not a moral issue, it is an economic one. Ignore that FACT at your peril, hypocrites.
It isn't the 1% that is the problem, it is the 1% of the 1% of the 1%. And I agree we need to break up all this crony capitalism and those who have gotten wealth through exploitation should have the wealth confiscated and redistributed. The reason why people go to Eastern Europe to adopt is that it is CHEAPER and FASTER (for those of us who are not part of the 1%). And has nothing to do with race. You are taking a situation (adoption) which you are showing you know little about and applying a race based analysis to it...that is your right but it also blinds you, and to some degree makes you just as much of a racist as those you seek to critique.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:35 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,963,709 times
Quote:

As if you left leaning folks don't drink the democratic cool aid daily...who is giving money to the democrats, the Clinton Foundation, all the shady NGO's...banks, billionaires, special interest...and they are all doing this out of the "goodness" of their hearts and expect no return on investment...right. Drink up.

You are correct, "He who has no sin cast the first stone." Note most Christians aren't advocating hurting people who do abortions, if anything most (I can't speak for all) advocate healing, forgiveness, and restoration of the mothers. Yet they see abortion (again a psychological term that represents killing babies in the womb the de-emotionalizes the act) as something that needs to be stopped as the "fetus" / baby human is killed in the process and his or her rights are not considered.

Many of the most active people in changing of the American diet / against NGO's / against fast food because of it's nutritional value are Christians. And many Christians do give meals to the homeless all the time...when was the last time this poster did that? Let me guess...

And Christians were also represented in both the teaparty and occupy wall street movements to end banking corruption and numerous ones (including myself) are active in this fight today.

So you make accusations that are correct against many cultural Christians, but you ignore the many who work behind the scenes to make the world a better place every day. The just use different tactics than marching or attracting attention to themselves.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:09 PM

18,337 posts, read 18,943,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
As if you left leaning folks don't drink the democratic cool aid daily...who is giving money to the democrats, the Clinton Foundation, all the shady NGO's...banks, billionaires, special interest...and they are all doing this out of the "goodness" of their hearts and expect no return on investment...right. Drink up.

You are correct, "He who has no sin cast the first stone." Note most Christians aren't advocating hurting people who do abortions, if anything most (I can't speak for all) advocate healing, forgiveness, and restoration of the mothers. Yet they see abortion (again a psychological term that represents killing babies in the womb the de-emotionalizes the act) as something that needs to be stopped as the "fetus" / baby human is killed in the process and his or her rights are not considered.

Many of the most active people in changing of the American diet / against NGO's / against fast food because of it's nutritional value are Christians. And many Christians do give meals to the homeless all the time...when was the last time this poster did that? Let me guess...

And Christians were also represented in both the teaparty and occupy wall street movements to end banking corruption and numerous ones (including myself) are active in this fight today.

So you make accusations that are correct against many cultural Christians, but you ignore the many who work behind the scenes to make the world a better place every day. The just use different tactics than marching or attracting attention to themselves.

"Yet they see abortion (again a psychological term that represents killing babies in the womb the de-emotionalizes the act) as something that needs to be stopped as the "fetus" / baby human is killed in the process and his or her rights are not considered".

a fetus does not have rights until it is born, as it should be.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:20 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,800,535 times
Quote:
Actually I am an advocate for banning big money in politics, which is why I support Bernie Sanders, BUT even though many liberal/liberal leaning politicians receive big money (again I don't agree with it), liberal politicians do enact more legislation that goes directly to help people, particularly the middle and lower classes. Conservatives are the first to cut those programs WHILE lining the pockets of their donors.

Quote:
You are correct, "He who has no sin cast the first stone." Note most Christians aren't advocating hurting people who do abortions, if anything most (I can't speak for all) advocate healing, forgiveness, and restormurderersthe mothers. Yet they see abortion (again a psychological term that represents killing babies in the womb the de-emotionalizes the act) as something that needs to be stopped as the "fetus" / baby human is killed in the process and his or her rights are not considered.
Abortion is a medical procedure; it's not a psychological trick. The word and the procedure have been around for thousands of years.

I have never seen anyone mention or advocate for the healing of the women. I do however hear them being called sinner, whores, murderers, disgraceful and other colorful words. People who work at abortion clinics in especially hostile areas often wear bullet proof vests. Abortion clinics and doctors have been bombed, shot at, and set on fire. Christians are not the peaceful protesters they claim to be.

Quote:
I am not talking about improving nutritional value. I am talking about the sin gluttony, when someone eats more food (or takes more of anything) and leaves another person hungry (or poor or unclothed). If Christians are so concerned with strictly abiding by the Bible then they would be harassing obese people for being gluttonous and not feeding the poor or rich people for having too much money or too many clothes. But they don't.

You sure like to point your finger at someone you don't know. I have charitable causes that are close to my heart that I am active in. Could I do more? Probably. But I do more than most.

Quote:

If you vote for a Republican, then it doesn't matter how much you march or shout, you are voting against all those things you claim you're fighting for.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,889,743 times
Quote:
It isn't the 1% that is the problem, it is the 1% of the 1% of the 1%. And I agree we need to break up all this crony capitalism and those who have gotten wealth through exploitation should have the wealth confiscated and redistributed. The reason why people go to Eastern Europe to adopt is that it is CHEAPER and FASTER (for those of us who are not part of the 1%). And has nothing to do with race. You are taking a situation (adoption) which you are showing you know little about and applying a race based analysis to it...that is your right but it also blinds you, and to some degree makes you just as much of a racist as those you seek to critique.
It's even faster, cheaper and easier in Guatemala, China, Africa... but those babies are not white. Please don't try to snowjob a hardened cynic. It has everything to do with race for those for whom it has to do with race.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:25 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,492,380 times
I have a problem with women who don't have a problem with smoking, drinking, and drugs (both legal and illegal.. including vaccinations) during pregnancy but abhor abortion. If a woman can LEGALLY choose to engage in harmful activities while pregnant (causing abnormalities or spontaneous abortion/miscarriage) than why can't she choose to abort? What is the difference? It is the woman's body for all intents and purposes. She chooses what to ingest/inject not the fetus/almost a human inside her. The fetus/almost a human inside her doesn't have a choice as to what nutrients it gets and shouldn't have a choice as to whether it reaches full gestation! IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates