Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2016, 07:18 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Wow. So the innocent child is "using" you. Have it killed.

Fascinating.
I'm glad you understand now. Please do what you can to promote safe sex, education in schools, and affordable, accessible contraceptives to help avoid such situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 12:26 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
I have an IUD and in 5% of cases a partial or complete explosion can occur (sometimes not detected by the woman). When partial expulsion occurs it renders the IUD ineffective. There is no birth control in existence that is more than 95% effective. And abortion is legal; all those in law, media, and the medical profession are of the opinion that it should be. It's really only outliers, those living in Appalachian trailer parks, and the uneducated who advocate for its abolition due to all the reasons outlined here, which is why the anti-choice position is largely ignored in institutions of higher education and the mainstream media.
I do agree with the other person that there should be more contraceptives but IUDs are precisely why. Not only could IUDs be ineffective, I worry about them. I would no sooner use an IUD than I would a tampon. Anything that you stick up in there sounds risky to me.
I think what would be best is something similar to a condom..a more effective and less uncomfortable version of that would be great though I know that would be tricky to implement.

Quote:
LOL. And abortion is not?
Abortions are only a one time deal typically..they don't last very long and they can also sedate you if needed. An IUD you would wear all the time so no in a way they would be less invasive.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:28 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,222,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Abortions are only a one time deal typically..they don't last very long and they can also sedate you if needed. An IUD you would wear all the time so no in a way they would be less invasive.
much less invasive, and very effective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx5py_yjNJY

…also less expensive than gettings abortions, and no dead babies.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:27 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Once again, IUDs do not work on someone with a septate (heart-shaped) uterus. The hormones cannot permeate both sides of the heart because of the shape. You'd have to perform yet another one of those illegal medical procedures on each young woman to find out the shape of her uterus. How would you know each one was post-menarche anyway? One more medical procedure?

Old 03-13-2016, 08:01 AM

854 posts, read 585,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
It's your agenda. You are blinded by ideology.

You people with this extreme view pretend to live in a world without history.

There are many examples of countries where abortion is or was illegal. They all have extreme tragedies because women who don't want a baby and are pregnant will go the back alley route regardless of law.

And the dumbest argument is about personal responsibility. Sex is waaaaaay too primal for that seemingly rational argument to apply.
Right. Have you seen the Romanian film "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days?" It's about abortions in Romania before communism fell. Girls would have to ask around and find someone who would be willing to help them do it under the table since it was illegal. This could take weeks so as a result more fetuses were being aborted when they were actual babies (like at the four month period). These policies not only cause more unsafe abortions to be performed, but more abortions of actual babies with consciousness who could feel pain and fewer early-stage abortions.

You can't fix stupid though. That's why the media doesn't even acknowledge their position, it's fundamentally stupid and unworthy of acknowledgement.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:16 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
I leave religious and moral grounds out of my views on this subject. I just take a dim view of women who use it on a regular basis, as a form of births control. Like six procedures in a year. There are certainly other methods to keep unwanted prenancies from happening.

This may not be a common thing, but it does happen, and it shouldn't be.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
much less invasive, and very effective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx5py_yjNJY

…also less expensive than gettings abortions, and no dead babies.
Maybe it's just me but I find an IUD to be far more invasive because I would always think about it being there. I might even be able to feel it due to my hyper senses. It's something that doesn't naturally belong in there yet it is there.
The thing about abortions is yes it is a surgery but again they can sedate you. I doubt they do the same when they put in an IUD. I don't even like it when the gyno has to check to see if for example I have an infection and they do that with just gloved hands.
So my point is on the surface it seems less invasive maybe technically it is but it feels far more invasive to keep a device in there for a long period of time and then you gotta put it in again after months or a few years anyway.

I don't know if this has been said before (there are too many posts on this topic) but why do you insist that a fetus is a baby? That's like saying a child is the same as an adult. A child should be able to smoke drink, vote, drive etc. because they're people just like adults. If I made that argument you would tell me I'm daft and rightfully so but it's the same as a fetus vs a baby yet somehow a fetus and a baby are the same. Every life stage has different rights. A fetus has none compared to the woman. If you think a fetus and the baby are the same that's your prerogative you can feel that they are the same but that doesn't mean they are.

Last edited by Nickchick; 03-13-2016 at 03:58 PM..

Old 03-13-2016, 04:00 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,222,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
…in there for a long period of time and then you gotta put it in again after months or a few years anyway.
It lasts 10+ years, is proven to be safe and 99% effective.

Quote:
I don't know if this has been said before (there are too many posts on this topic) but why do you insist that a fetus is a baby? That's like saying a child is the same as an adult. ...Every life stage has different rights. A fetus has none compared to the woman. If you think a fetus and the baby are the same that's your prerogative you can feel that they are the same but that doesn't mean they are.
All of these words - embryo, fetus, baby, toddler, teenager, adult, senior citizen, etc - are just different stages of development of human beings.

I think all human beings, irrespective of how young or old, including the unborn, should have the same right to life.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:

All of these words - embryo, fetus, baby, toddler, teenager, adult, senior citizen, etc - are just different stages of development of human beings.

I think all human beings, irrespective of how young or old, including the unborn, should have the same right to life.

Okay about 10 plus years though I seem to remember hearing that they only last a few.
Doesn't matter if it is supposed to be safe. People say tampons are safe too but as I say I don't like using one.

Do you think that dogs should have the same right to life as well though? I'm pretty sure more dogs are euthanized in shelters than there are abortions but some pro-lifers don't seem to really care about that because there are people out there that find us to be the more important species.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:00 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:

you are not qualified nor do you have any first hand knowledge on women's contraception and their effects. speculating on the ease of it, or for you to question why some women wouldn't want to use a certain type is absurd.

stage of development? a fetus is far different than a teenager. nor should a fetus have the same rights as a living, born person.

do you cry absurd outrage at all the embryos left in cold storage? should they have rights as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates