Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2016, 07:25 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
It lasts 10+ years, is proven to be safe and 99% effective.

Safe?

According to wikipedia, there ARE adverse side affects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Regardless of containing progestogen or copper, potential side effects of intrauterine devices include expulsion, uterus perforation, pelvic inflammatory disease (especially in the first 21 days after insertion), as well as irregular menstrual pattern. A small probability of pregnancy remains after IUD insertion, and when it occurs there's a greater risk of ectopic pregnancy.

Substantial pain that needs active management occurs in approximately 17% of nulliparous women and approximately 11% of parous women. In such cases, NSAID are evidenced to be effective. However, no prophylactic analgesic drug have been found to be effective for routine use for women undergoing IUD insertion.

Also, IUDs with progestogen confer an increased risk of ovarian cysts, and IUDs with copper confer an increased risk of heavier periods.
And the "lasts 10+ years" is wrong as well. It can last UP TO 10 YEARS.

But, this thread is a debate about the legality of abortion, not birth control. Abortion is a medical procedure that should be legal and decided by a patient and her doctor.

If one wants to decrease the need for abortions, then they should advocate for universal birth control ~ the type used to be decided upon by a patient and her doctor ~ and better sex education for both women and men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 08:09 PM

854 posts, read 585,856 times
I cannot take the copper IUD as it causes heavy bleeding that would bring back my period-induced anemia. And some women have copper allergies as well. I wouldn't exactly call that safe and without side effects. Lol @ the absurdity of a man telling women what foreign object should be required to be inserted inside their bodies for years on end. Was Hitler resurrected in this thread?

Old 03-13-2016, 11:30 PM

5,833 posts, read 4,169,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Whose greater ethical interests? A males?
A hypothetical baby who would have just as much moral importance as an adult human. If an adult human was trapped inside the womb of a woman, no one would argue that the woman should have an option of killing it. As such, the ethics of abortion depend on the contingent biological facts relevant to the fetus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Your natural bias is reflected in your talking points. The fact is that no one will take care (Or care for that matter) of my family like my family. The family is at the core of ethics. You want to tell someone elses family what is best for their family? That is alot of responsibility. Suggest yes, make suggestions. Legislate morality and ethics? NO.
The family isn't at the core of ethics. Conscious experience is at the core of ethics.

Are you saying that if a fetus was as conscious, intelligent and aware of the world as you and I are that the woman should the option to kill it?

Old 03-14-2016, 06:11 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
A hypothetical baby who would have just as much moral importance as an adult human. If an adult human was trapped inside the womb of a woman, no one would argue that the woman should have an option of killing it. ...

Are you saying that if a fetus was as conscious, intelligent and aware of the world as you and I are that the woman should the option to kill it?
Yes. To understand why, rather than inventing bizarre scenarios, can you name a real-life instance where an American citizen is compelled to donate tissue or organs in order to save the life of another?

You (hypothetically) cause an accident and I am bleeding out. Or maybe it's not accidental--you stab me in a fit of rage and I will die shortly from blood loss. I need some blood right away. We're near a hospital, but they don't have any I can use. You are already in police custody and we discover you are type O-negative, the universal donor. I'm dying because of you, so can the police take your blood to save me?

I am (hypothetically) a twin. My sister is sick and needs platelets or a kidney or some bone marrow. I am probably a donor match, maybe the only person in the world who is. Is there a law that will make me? Is there a law that compels me to be tested to even check whether I could be a donor? What if my sister is a Nobel-prize-winning scientist with the knowledge to save thousands of people from an impending disaster? Do I have to save her then?

Old 03-14-2016, 09:06 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,801 times
Quote:
Yes it is.

That is actually what happens when a woman gets an abortion. I'm not making that up. You might want to fool yourself into thinking it's not with some semantic games, but it's not my "agenda".

This is why I support the people who walk around with the blood-and-gore pictures of aborted children. People should be made to see it for what it is.
OK.

I'll take care of the women I care about. You take care of yours.

When you try to legislate morality in order to feel good about yourself, you may not take everything about what an individual has been through or personal concerns about the woman that the family may not want to share with you.

It is the right of the family not to tell you their personal business. So leave it to the family and the woman, they will care far more about the woman than you will every care for her.

Also, adopt a child or two since your so adamant about making decisions for others. Support welfare policies as well... and please donate money to education in poor school districts, and support woman's health organizations so that you can sleep at night and MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:13 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
A hypothetical baby who would have just as much moral importance as an adult human. If an adult human was trapped inside the womb of a woman, no one would argue that the woman should have an option of killing it. As such, the ethics of abortion depend on the contingent biological facts relevant to the fetus.

The family isn't at the core of ethics. Conscious experience is at the core of ethics.

No one is killing a nine month old baby ready to pop out....

I don't want mothers that do not love or want their babies to have babies. That's why we have uneducated, unhappy and unloved human beings.

I want mothers that love their children having children.

With your views I hope you have adopted children and contribute heavily to women's health issues, contraceptives and support planned parenthood. Your knowledge of women's health issues probably needs a lot of help.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:12 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Where is the "punishment" in giving birth to the children you conceive?

No, I would never call that punishment of any kind.

I honestly think abortion activists have some kind of gripe with nature. Yes, women have to carry children and give birth to them. You might think that's unfair, but nature made it that way. Evil men had nothing to do with the natural order of things.

No. Unborn children are alive and growing in the womb. To end a pregnancy, doctors have to go in and KILL it. That's a violation of basic human rights.
Why is abortion ok in cases of rape or if the mothers life is in danger, but murder of an innocent otherwise?

I guess its easy for you to say, a man, a man who will never have an unwanted pregnancy, who has never carried a pregnancy to fruition and given birth. You may never call that a punishment because you have and will never find yourself in that situation. The reality is for many women doing so can cause many life long or long term problems. Aside from the physical risks, side effects, changes to ones body a pregnancy can cause severe emotional and/or hormonal problems, can tear apart marriages and relationships, estrange families and cause job loss and poverty. All these things are prone to spiral and effect others' lives as well.

Yes it is punishment to carry out a pregnancy you dont want and that may cause undo issues in your life and the lives of others, even the child you gave birth to. It is a punishment to give birth to a child you do not want. It can be punishment to give that child up for adoption. It is a punishment to lose your livelihood, degree, certifications, church, housing, family due to being forced to carrying out an unwanted pregnancy when there are safe, legal alternatives.

Activist: an especially active, vigorous advocate of a cause, especially a political cause.

Cute. The word is pro-choice. The thing is women DONT have to carry out pregnancy. It is mother nature who is a real byotch. Yes pregnancy is unfair to many women. The natural order of things causes all sorts of pregnancy related illnesses, sickness, death, miscarriage, stillborn babies, deformities, retardation. It can be tragic. Mankind has found unnatural ways to circumvent many of these impending tragedies. Abortion is just one of them.

I ask again: Why is abortion ok in cases of rape or if the mothers life is in danger?

Old 03-14-2016, 11:27 AM

854 posts, read 585,856 times
Oh, Tritone, how sad

http://bucultureshock.com/wp-content..._got_pwned.jpg

https://nyuchandesu.files.wordpress....ina-pwnage.jpg

Old 03-14-2016, 11:48 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,784 times
Men are a real problem to pregnant women.

According to Wikipedia, the leading cause of death to pregnant women is homicide. A whopping 20% of pregnant women who die, die mostly at the hands of their partner.

Wikipedia also states that "international studies show that 25% of women are abused for the first time during pregnancy."

More reasons that women should be allowed a legal abortion; especially one that does not require her to jump through hoops to obtain.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:08 AM

163 posts, read 273,431 times
No.

I personally don't believe in abortion (except for extreme cases where im conflicted e.g rape,etc) but I don't think it should be illegal. My personal, mostly religious beliefs should not affect the choices of other women. Religion has no place in state laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates