U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 04:12 AM

3,002 posts, read 1,968,771 times

Advertisements

I had a friend who had an abortion she was an alcoholic who was living with her alcoholic boyfriend I could not see how the both of them could even conceive they drank so much. It was the right thing to do she got her self sterilized right after that she knew that there was know way for her to raise a child it would have been child abuse to do that. She had enough sense to do the right thing in my opinion. She didn't have any money had to use plan parenthood if that had not been available to her she could not have had it done. I agree abortion should be legal and free along with birth control. Religious freedom doesn't give you the right to tell others what to do it's always the same "Pro-Life" people who are demanding others live the way they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 05:37 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,663,686 times
Nope, abortion is and should be legal. It's a private medical decision that a woman has a right to make.

As for the argument that a fetus is a living person, if that's true then take it out of uterus and let it breath and live.

If it can't survive outside my body, it's not really alive.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:05 AM

5,493 posts, read 6,433,728 times
Abortion should be legal, including post-natal abortion up to the age of 18.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:25 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,493,390 times
NO, of course not. That's just silly religious rhetoric. Case closed. *drops mic*

Old 11-17-2015, 09:15 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,271,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
You'd best show scriptures that support that statement, because I don't know if any.
Fact is, there are scriptures the support life and value to God before birth .
Matthew 1;18 Jesus birth
Luke 1;1,- 41,-44, John the Baptist's birth

Jeramiah 1;5 Jeramiah's birth
Judges 13; Samson's birth
Of course I do. First I would like address the verses you referenced. Those verses are talking about specific profits and apply ONLY to them. The profits had divine powers given to them by God. The average run of the mill fetus does not have divine powers. Just because God has a hand in creating fetuses does not mean they are holy, sacred or special in any way. If that were the case then EVERYTHING would be sacred because God has a hand in making everything from people and animals to plants, rocks, dirt and bugs. Think about that the next time you want to kill a fly (which BTW has more brain function and self awareness than a fetus ).

It is interesting to me that so many Christians are unaware of "the breath if life" since it is referenced so many times in the Bible. I'll start with the creation of Adam. Notice that Adam has a body, is a fully formed man, but he is not ALIVE until he us breathing.

Genesis 2:7 Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

Breath reference:

Acts 17:25
nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things;

Last I checked a fetus can't walk:

Isaiah 42:5 Thus says God the LORD, Who created the heavens and stretched them out, Who spread out the earth and its offspring, Who gives breath to the people on it And spirit to those who walk in it,

Breath of the Almighty is the source of life:

Job 33:4 “The spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

There are many more examples, those are just a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
That is a lie! The Bible says no such thing. Furthermore, there is no passage in the Bible that even remotely suggests such a thing.

The attempt to justify abortion on the basis of lack of sentience or conscious awareness is a feeble attempt to bypass the biological bases upon which an objective evaluation of whether an organism is (a) living, and (b) human must be made, if one is intellectually honest enough to form an opinion based upon whether or not the organism growing in utero is a living human being.
Well as you can see above, it is not a lie. The only lie is that abortion is a Biblical issue in the first place. I suggest you look up how abortion became a conservative Christian issue in the first place. You only have to go back about 30 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
This strikes at the core of the hypocrisy of the "pro-choice" crowd: abortion denies the life-or-death choice to the organism whose life is the subject of that choice.
Something that has no brain function or self awareness can not think. Do people have discussions with their appendixes or wisdom teeth before removal to see if they are okay with it first? Don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
1. Would you yourself consider adopting one? Or two or three? Or leave it all up to theoretical saviors?
2. There are ALREADY thousands of unwanted babies and children waiting to get adopted... and there seems to not be enough adoptive parents to go around
That is if course the pillar of hypocrisy in the "pro-life" movement. The number of Christians in the US outnumbers the number of homeless children by such a large margin, that if less than 10% if them adopted 1 child, there would be no homeless children. But I guess homeless kids aren't their problem right?

Old 11-17-2015, 10:36 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,920,911 times
Abortion should be legal. There are 7 billion people on this planet and we don't need any more unwanted kids on this planet that could end up being murderers, drug addicts, pedophiles, terrorist, etc. Just take a look at Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran and Iraq. A typical family there is anywhere from 4-10 kids. How many of them is there a future for?

For all those loud mouths that feel its immoral to abort a fetus why don't you adopt an unwanted kid or two or three? You sure as hell don't want to deal with these unwanted kids but have the nerve to tell a woman what to do with hers?

Old 11-17-2015, 10:59 AM

6,856 posts, read 2,555,136 times
I do not think abortion should be illegal. The state has the authority to wage war, to execute certain criminals and to allow women to kill their children in the womb. Any state with a strong social safety net has a fiscal obligation to allow it, in my opinion. The state can also set certain conditions though. I would say abortion should be cheap and encouraged in the first trimester, expensive and discouraged in the second trimester and not allowed except in extreme circumstances in the third. I don't buy in to that claptrap about a fetus not being a human life but that doesn't mean that in some circumstances abortion should not be allowed.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:07 AM

13,496 posts, read 13,983,590 times
abortion needs to remain legal. don't want one? don't have one. simple. before Roe V Wade women died from back alley and self inflicted abortions. no woman in America should be forced to remain pregnant against her own wishes. nor should she be forced to carry to term, labor, deliver and either raise or give a child up for adoption

Old 11-17-2015, 11:29 AM

5,713 posts, read 12,829,139 times
I believe in a woman's choice to choose. Not the politicians (mostly male) or male dominated Supreme Court. Her body, her choice.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:06 PM

5,082 posts, read 12,588,506 times
Not only should abortion be legal, it should be a free service sponsored by the government, and under certain conditions, be mandatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or