Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 05:13 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
If you check the DNA of the unborn, it is human and it is different than the mother, the father, or anyone else. It is not viable, but then again, how viable is a day old infant without someone to take carer of them?

It is ending a distinct human life. I am opposed to that, as I am opposed to capital punishment....
so what, the "unborn" have DNA that is different from the parents? as for dependency the "unborn" are dependent on a woman's womb, vs a day old infant, anyone that wants the job can take care of a born baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 08:24 PM

13,249 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Perhaps making abortion illegal could put some filthy abortionists in orange jump suits for a few years, but from a guy perspective ( having 45 years of medical background) I worry that unskilled attempts to abort a fetus or self induced abortions could escalate. IF the law states it's illegal then it's illegal and both parties must be punished !! The abortionist fined and or jailed and the woman subject to community work of sorts. So with that said I support illegal abortions from both a moral perspective and a legal. Making the practice Illegal I pray will make people think about the consequences . As for rape pregnancies , date rape and non-complict or so-called consentual sex ( when it's a lie) adoption should be considered. . Once pregnant a woman becomes another person's caregiver in the womb a person unable to fight for their chance at life. As for God our Creator He says He knew us in the womb. That's pretty heavy. Beware of any further condemnation of the woman who has broken the law. We all error in life or make bad decisions . Love all women who have had abortions and forgive them period once outside the law!!!

You feel that because of religious reasons we should pass laws banning abortion? This country was founded on church and state separation. What you believe may not be the same as me why should you force your religious beliefs on me or anyone else.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:31 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatUsernameIsTaken View Post
It should be illegal. These feminists say that it's their body, but it's not just their body because a fetus is a human too and it's no different than killing a baby after it's already been born. Rape and incest are tragedies, but when tragedies occur in a group of people, who is supposed to be put first? The child, and the child is the fetus in cases of rape and incest.
Then are you marching out to adopt some of these babies? No? Then keep your Shira-Law-like religious fascism to yourself. Women are not incubators.

Abortion should be made illegal when/if

Women are afforded equal pay for equal work
Men take responsibility and don't run off leaving women to raise children that she cannot pay for
Stay with their families instead of abandoning them

Then we can have illegal abortion. Because then you will have responsibility and it will never be needed.

But of course, that is a fairy tale.

And o yeah, it IS my body. It is STILL my body, whether you deride it or accept it or legalize it or harass it- it is still my body.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:23 AM

854 posts, read 585,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhyanne View Post
I know contraception may fail but when people are having sex they are assuming a risk of getting pregnant either way. If I drive a car and hit someone accidentally I can't just run away and refuse to aid the person I harmed. Similarly, he woman still has a duty to aid her fetus and can't neglect it to death. That's just immoral.

Actually, I think your viewpoint is immoral and unethical. You are advocating for legislation that you know will result in more women having unsafe and life-threatening abortions (do-it-yourself abortions without the aid of a health professional) meaning that you advocate for more women to die. What's more, these women will be disproportionately ethnic and low-income since these are the women who disproportionately get abortions today. You want more female death. This is highly immoral.

The fact is that you can't legally force your moral standard on someone else who may not share the same standard. You can hold your view, but you can't impose it on anyone else, thankfully. Since your view is murderous and extremely wrong.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:12 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,793,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Actually, I think your viewpoint is immoral and unethical. You are advocating for legislation that you know will result in more women having unsafe and life-threatening abortions (do-it-yourself abortions without the aid of a health professional) meaning that you advocate for more women to die. What's more, these women will be disproportionately ethnic and low-income since these are the women who disproportionately get abortions today. You want more female death. This is highly immoral.
While I'm certainly pro-choice, this appears to be an extremely terrible argument! After all, women who get illegal abortions (at least generally) get them out of their own free will!

Old 04-04-2016, 04:29 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
What amazes me is when a woman defends her right to kill the 'fetus', it's just that: a fetus...no big deal, right?

However, if that same woman at some point wants children then the moment she discovers she's pregnant all of a sudden it's a BABY, not a FETUS.

It's a baby if it's wanted, it's a fetus if it isn't. Semantics?

Old 04-04-2016, 07:43 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
While I'm certainly pro-choice, this appears to be an extremely terrible argument! After all, women who get illegal abortions (at least generally) get them out of their own free will!
What difference does that make. Women who seek legal abortions get them out of their own free will also. Women who self abort or seek an illegal abortion are even more desperate not to carry out a pregnancy and birth that may create detrimental circumstances in their lives.

Poor desperate women will go to extreme measures to abort risking their own lives, even perhaps leaving behind children and a husband. Wealthy women will still be able to get safe abortions. Why would someone so adamant about bringing someone else's unwanted pregnancy to fruition because of their concern for that potential life to be born want to see real live human beings die needlessly.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:

And so? Your point is? We have anti-polygamy laws based on the potential for societal harm to women and children (even though polygamists enter into it of "their own free will") but yet would institute laws knowing that they will cause harm to women? Wtf consistency is that? We take social effects into consideration literally all the time when drafting laws.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:

It's not an argument, it's a fact. Anti-abortion laws cause more women to die. Anyone supporting them want more women to die. This is immoral according to my definition of morality. I can't force my morality on her (meaning murderous psychopaths with anti-choice views like hers should probably commit suicide en masse; the world will be better for it) anymore than she can force her morality on me (you MUST value cells with no brain activity above your own life because my religion!)

Old 04-05-2016, 11:59 AM

323 posts, read 376,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
You feel that because of religious reasons we should pass laws banning abortion? This country was founded on church and state separation. What you believe may not be the same as me why should you force your religious beliefs on me or anyone else.
The separation of church and state is intended to limit Government from restricting the practice of a religion, it doesn't mean that Government cannot decide that a particular act is or isn't illegal based on moral convictions that may be in alignment with a particular religion, or to restrict the ability of the voter to vote their conscience on an issue.

If somebody believes abortion to be immoral and should not be permitted, and enough people agree with them, the separation of church and state cannot be used to overturn that decision by itself. Abortion is a legislative right, and it is that, not the separation of church and state, that causes challenges to it to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates