Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 12:01 AM

32,765 posts, read 35,979,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
What is so great about life that makes abortions bad? The baby never asked to live. Many of us would say that if given the choice of never have been born, we would choose to that. If the mother was considered an abortion, she does not fully want the baby or is not able to take care of it. That baby would be unloved and miserable

This thread makes me feel like i live in the 1950s.
There was a thread about that on C-D a while back. A fair amount of people said that would not have chosen to be born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 12:20 AM

32,765 posts, read 35,979,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan20 View Post
Catwoman said: "A mother has to struggle to provide health care, food, shelter, etc."

No, that's only mothers who CHOSE to get knocked up while single and/or poor. My mother didn't have to "struggle", nor did any other of the MARRIED mothers of friends I had growing up. None of the mothers of my college classmates had to "struggle" because again, they were MARRIED and waited till they could afford a baby. The only "struggling" mothers I know now of - they are not friends as we come from different cultures - are those who CHOSE unmarried pregnancy. And they're taking money out of my pocket.

Why are you trying to paint all mothers as destitute fools? Please stop it.
Well, didn't you travel in a lucky circle. Plenty of married people with a child/children struggle. My parents struggled when they were a young married couple with a baby. Being married isn't a magic bullet.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:56 AM

836 posts, read 1,771,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
No, I do not support abortion being illegal. Why? Because women are going to have them whether they're legal or not, and it's better that they are safe, legal and affordable.
<-- This
It always was, is and will be done. The question is - how.
When women had no access to doctors, or abortions were banned, it was done with all kinds of horrid ways, oftentimes resulting in death of the mother, who likely had other children who are now left orphans and their own lives/well being is likely in jeopardy.

It also most definitely leads to more abandoned unwanted babies, higher rates of infanticide...
And, if you were to ask me (as a theoretical baby), I would much rather prefer to be aborted as a tiny few-celled embrio, than killed as a full-term baby/toddler or (worse - for me) to be abandoned and live in some horried situation. But that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
if you don't believe in abortion and you believe it is murder, that's your right. No one is forcing you to have one, but your religious beliefs should not be forced on others.
Exactly!

Old 11-17-2015, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Early-term: I personally consider this to be immoral, except for cases of danger to the mother (ectopic, etc.) and rape/incest. But it should be fully legal. It's a medical decision between the woman, her doctor, and her conscience.
I'd say up to 12 weeks. Period. But, the earlier, the better - IF you have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Post viability: Illegal. If the mother waits past 22 weeks gestation (Amilla Taylor was born and survived at 21 weeks 6 days), it's too late for any "pro choice" arguments; the choice has been made.
Completely agree, this is too late for abortion.
However, if the mother's life is in eminent danger, and the fetus is not likely to survive delivered that much too early pre-term, or be extremely disabled - I don't feel justified to make baby suffer that much. There should a more humane way to let it go.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:33 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,130,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
A 3 month fetus (which is NOT a baby) is nowhere near viable; it has no conscious or awareness. It's not murder because a fetus is not alive and it's not a person. That is what the law says, that is what science says, that is what the Bible says.
That is a lie! The Bible says no such thing. Furthermore, there is no passage in the Bible that even remotely suggests such a thing.

The attempt to justify abortion on the basis of lack of sentience or conscious awareness is a feeble attempt to bypass the biological bases upon which an objective evaluation of whether an organism is (a) living, and (b) human must be made, if one is intellectually honest enough to form an opinion based upon whether or not the organism growing in utero is a living human being.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Please ask a fetus how it feels about possibly being aborted. Let me know what it says.
This strikes at the core of the hypocrisy of the "pro-choice" crowd: abortion denies the life-or-death choice to the organism whose life is the subject of that choice.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
If the mother was considered an abortion, she does not fully want the baby or is not able to take care of it. That baby would be unloved and miserable
That assumption errors on the side of myopia by considering only the birthmother. There are scores of adoptive parents who want a baby and are waiting for one to be placed with them.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
That assumption errors on the side of myopia by considering only the birthmother. There are scores of adoptive parents who want a baby and are waiting for one to be placed with them.
1. Would you yourself consider adopting one? Or two or three? Or leave it all up to theoretical saviors?
2. There are ALREADY thousands of unwanted babies and children waiting to get adopted... and there seems to not be enough adoptive parents to go around

Old 11-17-2015, 03:44 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,484,084 times
I'm old enough to remember life before Roe v. Wade.

No one wants a wire coat hanger in their uterus.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:46 AM

Quote:
As I stated earlier, 90% of women do not regret having an abortion, they do not carry grief or ill feelings with them afterwards. The few that do had mental illnesses such as depression prior to their abortion.
Or, as a thought, might feel pressured by society to feel bad as to not feel heartless

Quote:
If you were aborted, you would have no idea that it happened or that your fetal self ever existed...
Exactly. NO pain and no suffering. While, on the other hand, there is plenty to be had in a situation which called for abortion, in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates