Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2015, 06:10 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,681,933 times

Advertisements

No country has 'an outright ban' on guns and ALL of them, except for war-torn hellholes like the drug war territories in Mexico and places going through civil war like Syria, do MUCH better than we do with gun violence. What we need to do is keep them out of the hands of people likely to misuse them. Suggestions that have already been done, and which we know work:

>> Australia outlawed most guns and simply bought back most citizens' weapons from them.

>> Canada doesn't let you buy ANY gun, no matter how many you already own, without a thorough safety assessment by a psychologist.

>> There is no reason that John Q. Citizen needs access to assault weapons or gadgets that let them make assault weapons out of commoner types of gun. We don't let them buy their own tanks and Howitzers, do we? Do we let them buy their own weapons-grade plutonium? No.

>> Anyone who owns guns needs to keep them locked up if there are kids or visitors in the house. Period dot. I don't mean in a pretty case with a glass front and a window-latch closure. I mean a steel safe, with a padlock on it.

>> Anyone who owns guns needs to be trained in using and handling them safely. Period dot. If they want to keep their guns, they need to be retrained periodically. Period dot. If they can't pass the gun-safety test, they hand the weapons over. Period dot.

>> The English do not allow people to keep guns in their homes just because they want them. If you own a gun, you keep it and use it at the gun club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 06:34 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,788,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
>> There is no reason that John Q. Citizen needs access to assault weapons or gadgets that let them make assault weapons out of commoner types of gun.
Define what the fundamental difference between an AR-15 and any semi auto hunting gun is.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:11 PM

10,297 posts, read 7,882,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Private sellers are the biggest problem! A few states require the seller to go to a dealer and run a check, but most don't.
And that matters why? Most private sales are done between family members or close friends who know each other well. Why should I have to run an NCIS background check on my father or brother if I want to sell one of them one of my handguns? I already know with certainly they are not convicted felons (or otherwise barred from owning firearms).

More important, though, you seem to believe a private sale to a felon is legal. IT IS NOT! All private sales must comply with both Federal law and with any applicable state laws. Sell a gun to a felon through a private sale, and you've broken the law. Sell a handgun to a person under the age of 21, and you've broken the law. Those sellers can (and should!) be prosecuted to the full extent of the law!

(In my state, most private sellers want to see your CCW permit if they don't know you. No CCW permit, no private sale. They are not stupid.)

Old 12-05-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Didn't San Bernadino already allow CCW??
California is a "shall issue" CCW state, as I recall, and permits are extremely hard to get if you're not wealthy or politically connected. But I agree that going up with a handgun against a group of people armed with rifles is not likely to end well for the handgun wielder (although at least it might at least buy the unarmed folks a little bit more time to run away). This particular shooting isn't one where I see a CCW holder making a huge difference (unlike some of the "lone nut" situations where success might be more plausible).

Old 12-05-2015, 08:23 PM

991 posts, read 1,218,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post

One problem Brazil has, is that they have a weak justice system and many gun violence cases are often just dropped. Gun crimes just aren't taken very seriously there, which also perpetuates the problem.
Do a little research and you will see that the US government does not prosecute gun law violators either (unless they kill someone). Before the government creates more worthless laws, they need to enforce the ones already on the books. Lying on a background check is a federal crime, but the government prosecutes less than 1% of those who lie to get firearm.
Also illegal firearm traffickers and criminals caught with firearms are often given very light sentences.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:41 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,506,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Define what the fundamental difference between an AR-15 and any semi auto hunting gun is.
Let me ask you something, why do you want an AR-15?

Old 12-05-2015, 10:48 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,330,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
because i can

Old 12-05-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I don't want an AR-15, but I understand why others do. It's a rifle with many advantages:

Lightweight with low recoil, so it's easier to shoot accurately. VERY customizable, so the same gun can be easily altered to suit the individual needs of different shooters. (For instance, a man with long arms and a woman with short arms could easily shoot the same gun, since the length of the stock can be quickly changed. Most other rifle platforms would require the purchase of two separate weapons, one with a longer stock for the man, and another with a shorter stock for the woman.) Most AR-15s shoot a rifle round that's low energy and less likely to go through walls, and the shorter barrel length makes them easier to manage in an indoor setting than a shotgun or most other rifles. The cartridge size is also ideal for small game.

Despite what the media tries to imply, the AR-15's popularity is earned based on its performance characteristics. It's not simply a bunch of Rambo-wannabes who buy them.

Last edited by Aredhel; 12-05-2015 at 11:10 PM..

Old 12-06-2015, 12:43 AM

23,440 posts, read 13,670,592 times
Quote:
Numerous reasons.

It's what I was trained on. It can just be another bag of equipment in the Forester but if need be, in under a minute, it can be put together and be ready if I need a rifle. Carrying 4 or 5 preloaded magazines is dirt easy and if, say, in an accident I should break some hand bones, I'm not stuck because I can't load the rifle. It's light. It's relatively inexpensive to operate as compared to it's big brother, the AR-10.

Now, the AR-10 had a lot of the same advantages as the -15 except that carrying 4-5 preloaded magazines is not dirt easy (they are heavy) and it is more expensive to operate. The -10, however, does have something over the -15. Firing it, with that WHOMP!, it's better than sex!

Old 12-06-2015, 12:47 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,788,138 times
Quote:
I don't own an AR-15 nor do I want one. It's not a particularly effective weapon or deadly weapon but has some desirable characteristics. It's a fun gun to shoot and certainly great weapon to teach someone how to shoot. If you were hunting varmints the AR-15 or similar weapons is something you might want to consider.

Brief bit of history here, the AR-15 is the civilian version of the M-16 commonly carried by most soldiers. Functionally they are the same weapon with the exception of selective fire. The M-16 replaced the M-14 because it's cheaper and lighter as is the ammunition. This is an important characteristic if for example you are hiking for many miles which is something a US soldier may have to do especially during the Vietnam war when it was introduced. You can carry hundreds or even thousands of rounds.

During the Iraq war they start reissuing the M-14 because those characteristics were not as important and the troops needed a more powerful gun. The M-14 shoots a much larger cartridge and is commonly used in hunting rifles for larger game like deer.

The problem with this focus on "assault rifles" is they are fundamentally the same thing as any semi auto hunting rifle. The push to ban these weapons is based on how it looks instead of functionality, ultimately if you can justify banning an AR-15 you can justify banning any semi auto rifle and that is simply unacceptable.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-06-2015 at 12:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates