Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 10:53 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times

Advertisements

I want to say at the outset of this post that I don't think any individual issue can be linked to the devolution of American society into a war zone. It just evolved, or degenerated as an unexpected by-product of many societal trends.

But probably foremost among them is the collision of a number of incompatible agendae, values and belief systems, each seeking the surrender and subjugation of their anticipated opposition, and usually seeking more access and influence among the "machinery of statecraft" (a/k/a "the government") in order to get their way. And the exponential growth of the media, personalized via the Internet is the ultimate vehicle (so far) for the promotion of this Roman circus.

Personally I don't feel any increased insecurity: I live in a small community where everyone knows their neighbors, at age 66, I still work in a diverse environment where no single racial or ethnic group has a majority, when I travel there are few places where (subject to the use of simple common sense) I'm afraid to go.

But the problem, at least as I see it, is that the media sees a direct benefit to itself in "selling insecurity" to those who are relative newcomers to an open society. Measured in terms of absolute numbers, the further emancipation of women, which accelerated in the Seventies. is likely the single largest component; other possible conflicts, such as racial minority rights and immigration pressures, might be smaller in numbers, but more intense.

And while we obviously can't expect to get exactly what we want at the expense of everyone else, the focus of those in power is to deliver to their clientele -- and if the "loser" in this exchange is perceived as politically unpopular, the loss or penalty is disproportionately greater -- or at least perceived as so. And eventually, a frustrated few take matters into their own hands.

We have made our own bed, and we have to lie in it; expanding mobility, coupled with the over-centralization, over-sensitization, and reluctance to police the societal safety net, has made it impossible to put the genie back in the bottle. But there are going to be more tragedies, and I would be very suspicious of any "remedy" which either concentrates power, or strips basic rights from individual participants within our current polarization.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-03-2015 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 11:23 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times
Of course they always told us diversity is our strength. First, they never told us who the 'our' is that is gaining so much strength from diversity. Next diversity isn't anyone else s strength if you take a look at the world that is descending into tribalism and nationalism and the resulting violence and frustrating differences of those diversified groups as they attempt to live in the same environment under the same laws. The intellectual class will probably disagree with this on the basis of us all being equal but races and cultures are at different stages of evolution and when they try to live under the same laws that were implanted by one group at their particular state of evolution there is bound to be conflict. And that is just one thing to consider. There is so much more that it is a whole study in itself. But my belief is that the resulting divisions and problems that result from diversity is a great advantage to the powers that be whose goal is to maintain their top positions in life.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:26 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Sounds like thinly veiled regret here. I'm not buying it. There are other places where different races and cultures co-exist. The ONLY problem culture in any diverse society is Radical Islam. All other cultures and races can function within an equitable and just society. Which America has not been. Black American people are English speaking and Christian. Nevertheless they have been, and remain so marginalized that it is difficult to imagine their full participation in American society, ever. White Middle Class America's social, financial and other difficulties are problems of their own creation. Don't blame black, or brown, or Moderate Muslim people for them. Own your own Class War, and the resulting attrition of the Middle Class. Own your own dogged devotion to the 2nd Amendment for the heart wrenching tragedies brought to us on a regular basis by MSM. Stop whining, and be the change you want to see in the world.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:04 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
To the best of my memory, I've never "bumped" a thread at C-D, but in the wake of a polarized election, it might be a good time to see if anyone has anything to add.

And it might be noted at the outset that it has been the single-issue extremists, rather than either the Trump or Clinton camps, who have resorted to random acts; Realpolitik is seldom a spawning ground for violence.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-10-2017 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-14-2017, 08:00 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
I think praying at the altar of business (consumerism, corporate control) and the control of our government by same is the single largest force responsible for the breakdown of our society.

Historically, crime is quite low. So it's not violence that is really the problem although the gun issue looms. That, too, is largely a function of consumerism (which includes fear as a reason to buy things and do things)

Real extremists are a tiny tiny percentage of the population and they have always existed. It's not like bombs and assassinations and riots haven't been a big part of American history....right?

So things are relatively peaceful now - probably placated by
Drugs
Booze
Consumerism
Hopelessness
Depression
Religion
and other factors.

Mass communication has been going on for 100's of years in the USA. This can make things seem different than they really are. I don't see the relationship to diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates