Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 11:15 AM

260 posts, read 239,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I hear lots of people and politicians clammor for making abortion illegal, but having a loophole for Rape and Incest victims.

My questions are this:

How would we verify that the pregnancy was the product of rape or incest and not just unprotected sex?

How can one claim that abortion is murder but be okay with it under special circumstances?
I'm a pro-life conservative and I support an exception for rape. I've often thought myself, how would one prove it was the product of a rape? My thoughts are perhaps this will encourage more victims to report rape. It's my a perfect system or process unfortunately. Rape kits need to be tested more and taken with more regard. Regardless of the position on it there are still many questions to be asked and answered.

As far as incest... I'm still profoundly confused by why this gets thrown in with rape. And confused by its exact meaning in this context. A relative raping another relative? Or two relatives getting it on? I'm really not sure how I feel about it. You just shouldn't be climbing into bed with your relatives.

I do think abortion is murder, it's a defenseless life being snuffed out. But to make a woman carry the child of a rapist and go through the associated pain that comes with having a baby, after going through such a traumatic event, is WRONG. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 01:37 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,012,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDothisoften View Post
I'm a pro-life conservative and I support an exception for rape. I've often thought myself, how would one prove it was the product of a rape? My thoughts are perhaps this will encourage more victims to report rape. It's my a perfect system or process unfortunately. Rape kits need to be tested more and taken with more regard. Regardless of the position on it there are still many questions to be asked and answered.

As far as incest... I'm still profoundly confused by why this gets thrown in with rape. And confused by its exact meaning in this context. A relative raping another relative? Or two relatives getting it on? I'm really not sure how I feel about it. You just shouldn't be climbing into bed with your relatives.

I do think abortion is murder, it's a defenseless life being snuffed out. But to make a woman carry the child of a rapist and go through the associated pain that comes with having a baby, after going through such a traumatic event, is WRONG. Period.
incest definition used is these cases are when a child is abused by a member of her family, be it her father, brother or some other family member. so it is rape of a family member. this is NOT about 2 consensual relatives having sex.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:42 PM

260 posts, read 239,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
incest definition used is these cases are when a child is abused by a member of her family, be it her father, brother or some other family member. so it is rape of a family member. this is NOT about 2 consensual relatives having sex.
Incest is not specifically defined by consent or lack thereof. The definition of incest is "sexual relations between people classed as being too closely related to marry each other".

Rape is rape. There's no need for a distinction if your definition was true because it's not like any sane person would say "I support an exception for rape... Unless it was two relatives." That's arguably even worse.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:45 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,792,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
This discussion is a moot point.

SCOTUS has already ruled on Roe vs. Wade.

It's a done deal.

I don't believe in abortion but I'm pro choice.

As a woman, I have no right to tell another woman what to do with her body.
You are aware the U.S. Supreme Court decisions can be overturned/repealed, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates