Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 06:02 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
As a black female, it's interesting every time the topic of white groups comes up. Many white people turn against their own kind, shooting down the idea of "white unity". I'm always baffled by that response. Why would you not want to be supportive of your own white brothers and sisters? I support mine. Do you really think black people respect you for being a traitor to your own race?

Seeking a support group for white people, by white people, is no different than black people seeking a support group for themselves. Same with Latinos and anyone else. All us little ol' black folks has 'nough brains to know ya'll ain't wearin' da white hoods at ya'lls white meetin's.
Thank you for such an honest and frank response. I suspect there's little else we'll agree on, but you're right in that Whites, it would appear, are the only group in the world afraid to fight for their own interests, and I am equally baffled by this. Even the OP had to hedge his bet by speaking of the "white working class" rather than all whites in general. God forbid someone might think he's...(gasp!)...racist?

That you, OP, see the Democratic Party's embrace of equality as "admirable" tells me all I need to know. The embrace of diversity/equality/multiculturalism is the death knell of western civilization. Do you remember western civilization? That same one created by white people, which has spurred unimaginable advancement and prosperity for mankind? It will soon be a distant memory unless and until individuals like yourself recognize, and have the courage to declare, that all whites, regardless of class, have interests separate from all other ethnic groups. Yes, these interests are worth protecting and fighting for, and none of us need apologize for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 07:37 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,563 times
[quote=recognize, and have the courage to declare, that all whites, regardless of class, have interests separate from all other ethnic groups. Yes, these interests are worth protecting and fighting for, and none of us need apologize for it.[/QUOTE]

May I ask what specific 'interests' white people have that are separate from other groups? Meaning, if you were to list specific interests such as( and I'm just giving examples here), 'white people want to prosper..or white people want to be financially secure...Or white people want to further their education...white people want to be treated fairly..etc etc

What exact interests would you label that would be a 'white interest' only?

Old 12-17-2015, 05:54 AM

6,382 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Default UNIONS: The Very Definition of "White Working Class Interest Group"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Isn't the two century span of American labor unions (and their exclusionary practices) just exactly that, historically an interest group for the white working class?

Unions & Racism: An Age-Old, Institutional Problem Continues Unabated | RedState

EXACTLY!!

Except that there are rarely any unions anymore. But you are right, thats what these WERE- Interest Groups for "the working class." Most just happened to be white. (And sure, the history of racism in unions sucks but it is just that- HISTORY- and not enough to turn me off of unions!)

I am in favor of bringing THIS back (sans racism) UNIONS are what the working class needs!! Why isn't Trump (or anyone) talking about this and that their party has been shutting them down for decades. Instead they are merely pitting white Americans against dif colored Americans or those with dif religions. Hmmm.... what could they be trying to accomplish with this??

THE COLLAPSE OF UNIONS BY ENTITLED WHITE MALES in the 1%, most who have little idea of "work" and especially do not know what it is like to be a "worker bee" is what should anger the "white working class." It sure as hellz angers me!

Nice try with the R party trying to scapegoat the "immigrants" though as a place to put that misplaced anger. It unfortunately seems to be "working".... And the D party is no better on this, i haven't heard Hillary or Sanders use the word "union" even once this election cycle.

Immigrants and Muslims are not taking any "good jobs" from the white working class because there ARE NO MORE "GOOD" JOBS for the white working class! Do you know why? HINT: because there are no more unions!!

Politicians seemed to have skipped a step in their blame game. When speaking of jobs, they skipped right to "minorities and undocumented" as those who are "stealing jobs." Yet lets back up...... 1. Illegals would not be able to be hired into such jobs if more groups were allowed to organize in solidarity. And 2. Why blame the fellow "worker bee" and not address the Ahole lawbreakers who are hiring them??!!

*Most* unions were always a sours of pride among my family and their friends. (Nothing like nurses or teachers but the people i grew up around were in IBEW, USW, Teamsters, etc.) For lower to middle classes, it was like you had "arrived." And members acted very much like a "brotherhood." They shared in each other's families lives and seemed to have a deep bond. Much like police (who are Unionized!)

The point of my rant I guess, besides UNIONS ARE GOOD FOR AMERICA is that if we had more unions, we would not need a group for "white workers" and we would not have this current racial divide which is merely being used as a scapegoat to channel "white worker's anger" elsewhere..... And it is obviously working....

Old 12-17-2015, 09:39 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Trust me, sweetheart, us little ol' black folks is a whole lots smarter these days. We eben teached ourselves not to grin and shuffle down college corridors.

Listen up, white folks. We don't need you eating each other in order to "protect" us poor black folks. Walk with us, not ahead of us paving our way. We don't need your "protective mommy ways". If you have fears and superstitions about something, deal with them in ways that don't include or put the blame on us.
Fine, then stop accepting scholarships that are given to you simply for being black. Ruh roh....

Old 12-17-2015, 09:41 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
May I ask what specific 'interests' white people have that are separate from other groups? Meaning, if you were to list specific interests such as( and I'm just giving examples here), 'white people want to prosper..or white people want to be financially secure...Or white people want to further their education...white people want to be treated fairly..etc etc

Skin cancer.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:36 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post

Sure. The examples you've offered are not unique to any group; those are universal interests among all people. Examples of uniquely white interests would include:

Eliminating affirmative action, minority set-asides and preferences. These are paid for by whites, but do not serve to benefit many white people.

An end to all non-white immigration. We are experiencing displacement-level immigration. The West has always been unique in it's culture, social capital, development, etc. As whites are displaced, that will continue to regress toward the mean of the new majority. Consider what is taking place in countless cities across the US(Detroit, Baltimore, Birmingham, El Paso, etc). This is a direct result of one thing: white displacement. The speed at which these cities have crumbled should frighten all of us.

The endless list of social entitlement programs are overwhelmingly paid for by whites, but are largely "benefitting" non-whites. Of course, "conservative" cowards hide behind euphemisms like "big government" when discussing this, but the racial reality can not be denied.

Violent crime. Does this really need any further explanation? Despite every attempt to disguise it, violent crime has a color and it isn't white. Beyond the cost of it all, diversity is dangerous for whites.

We have the right to protect and celebrate our history without shame. Today it's our Confederate heroes. How long will it be until they rename the Washington Monument or dig up Thomas Jefferson?

Fortunately, as the popularity of Trump illustrates, whites are increasingly waking up to all of this and voting on their racial interests rather than social class.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:02 PM

260 posts, read 239,254 times
Quote:
As a black female, it's interesting every time the topic of white groups comes up. Many white people turn against their own kind, shooting down the idea of "white unity". I'm always baffled by that response. Why would you not want to be supportive of your own white brothers and sisters? I support mine. Do you really think black people respect you for being a traitor to your own race?

Seeking a support group for white people, by white people, is no different than black people seeking a support group for themselves. Same with Latinos and anyone else. All us little ol' black folks has 'nough brains to know ya'll ain't wearin' da white hoods at ya'lls white meetin's.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. It's really astounding. Whenever these types of debates come up, most of my arguments are with other people. Honestly there's a segment of white people who I feel are self-loathing and feel guilty. The funny thing about it is that people who complain about white privilege and white racism are usually privileged, rich white kids- ironically, most of whom have never lived around any kind of diversity. They feel like because they are white and privileged, that every white person must be too. When people try to sell that crap to me, the son of an dropout, absent father, and a mother who didn't finish college- both of whom worked on an alligator farm in Florida- it gets me going. There's a black community, Hispanic community, even a gay community, but you'll never hear the phrase "white community" because unfortunately, such a thing doesn't exist.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:40 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,000 times
Someone to represent the working class -- ABSOLUTELY NEEDED!

Unfortunately, when the system is set up so that Special Interests purchase politicians, and the working class is already bled dry to pay for Big Government and the Upper Class and the Lower Class, it's hopeless.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:50 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Fine, then stop accepting scholarships that are given to you simply for being black. Ruh roh....

"Simply being black"? Those scholarships are needed to overturn hundreds of years of white oppression. It isn't racist to accept them or to acknowledge the need for them. Please read up on history.

Black people have had to fight white oppression for our place in America...for jobs...for the right to vote...for the right to be free. If you don't understand why black people are pissed, study more history, please.

I have no respect for racist whites. I have equal respect for today's racist blacks. We all live on this dirt speck in the vast universe. We need to take more personal time to talk with each other, to try to understand the other. We also need to acknowledge the wrongs that have been committed in America. If it doesn't start with us, then with whom will it start?

Old 12-19-2015, 05:44 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I hate Donald Trump. But, he has captured the alienation of working class whites. IMO part of the reason he has been successful is that working class haven't had an organized group specifically looking out for them. There are groups/outreach offices for Asians, Latinos, Immigrants, Women, LGBT, etc. Why not one for white working class?

Why indeed? Learn to love Trump. He may be a narcissistic boob, but he's the best thing to happen to American politics in a generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates