Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 02:09 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times

Advertisements

It is not working. They could ask why some certain finnish millionaires at certain political and farming circles are having free money from eu? Or why rich families are getting free money when having kids etc.

It is weird how money no matter where or why it is coming goes to rich people who really don't even need it...

When they stop using tax moneys to support elite there would not problems to keep good welfare up.

We should not accept going back in time to slaves and masters. It is all about elite want slavery back.

They want 20 rooms and 200 slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 02:51 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times
I have a different idea. How about if instead of giving everyone $20K, we give only people who certifiably cannot work $20K, and then give everyone else a guarantee of a job that pays at least $20K. If you can't find a job that will pay you $20K, then the government will provide you with one. Community service type jobs, or infrastructure repair. Child care, perhaps, and weekend meal programs for children. Stuff like that. If you show up and do the job, you get paid your hourly wage, if you don't you don't. That's your welfare.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:57 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
People living on 20K per year would not be lazy. They would be working hard to find ways to make the 20K stretch to cover the cost of living. It would motivate them to find ways to earn more, even if only a little more. It's far more likely to make people less lazy than more lazy. And more people would be available to do work that doesn't pay much. Or volunteer work. Or work that's partly volunteer but also pays a little. And people could find better jobs than before because they would have more time to get training and go on job interviews etc., till they found the perfect job for them, even if it took years to find it. With everyone getting 20K per year, there would be no need for a minimum wage. More companies could thrive that needed workers who would work for less. That might cause synergy to improve the whole economy enough to make things better for everyone.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:21 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
People living on 20K per year would not be lazy. They would be working hard to find ways to make the 20K stretch to cover the cost of living. It would motivate them to find ways to earn more, even if only a little more. It's far more likely to make people less lazy than more lazy. And more people would be available to do work that doesn't pay much. Or volunteer work. Or work that's partly volunteer but also pays a little. And people could find better jobs than before because they would have more time to get training and go on job interviews etc., till they found the perfect job for them, even if it took years to find it. With everyone getting 20K per year, there would be no need for a minimum wage. More companies could thrive that needed workers who would work for less. That might cause synergy to improve the whole economy enough to make things better for everyone.
That's only if you only gave all the good hardworking just down on their luck people $20K.

You have to remember, probably only half of the folks who need it are like that. The other half are... well... let me put it this way, how many deadbeat loser crazy people do you know or are related to? How about your (hypothetical) good for nothing deadbeat cousin's ex boyfriend who has 4 kids by different moms and steals what money he can and them smokes it all away? What would he do with the money? I'm guessing it won't go to child support.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:30 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I have a different idea. How about if instead of giving everyone $20K, we give only people who certifiably cannot work $20K, and then give everyone else a guarantee of a job that pays at least $20K. If you can't find a job that will pay you $20K, then the government will provide you with one. Community service type jobs, or infrastructure repair. Child care, perhaps, and weekend meal programs for children. Stuff like that. If you show up and do the job, you get paid your hourly wage, if you don't you don't. That's your welfare.
Giving jobs has a couple of rather big problems. First you end up vastly increasing the size of government to manage and direct the process. Second you keep the private sector from providing those jobs thereby weakening it.

The objecty should be to provide all with sufficient resources to survive but not spending much money to do it. Note that all of this money gets taxed as income and spent thereby providing a multiplier effect in the private sector.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:41 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,528 times
No its called and Meant to be.... One for all..... all for one and the betterment of ALL Americans.... Black and Yellow Red and White.. I paid close to $200,000 in realty taxes and I never needed a cop or a fireman and My kids were out and done with public school for those years. Its My Pleasure to help others as a show of Appreciation for the Great Country I was LUCKY ENOUGH to be born in..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The same thing happens whether there's welfare or not. My money is "stolen" to educate other people's children via school taxes regardless of whether I have kids...my money is "stolen" for corporations who get tax breaks, and to pay city workers pensions whether I myself use those services or not. My money is "stolen" for unemployment taxes out of my paycheck even though I haven't been on unemployment in 30 years...Is that punishment?

Old 12-16-2015, 04:23 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
No its called and Meant to be.... One for all..... all for one and the betterment of ALL Americans.... Black and Yellow Red and White.. I paid close to $200,000 in realty taxes and I never needed a cop or a fireman and My kids were out and done with public school for those years. Its My Pleasure to help others as a show of Appreciation for the Great Country I was LUCKY ENOUGH to be born in..
I reject this collectivist brothers keeper BS in all its formations and permutations. You can appreciate any damnable thing you want, with money that you earned and own. You are not to presume that you can order others what to do with their money and lives. You weren't "lucky" to be born in any particular place. You are not born into slavery or obligation to be ripped off by those around you who demand the fruits of your labor, and the sacrifice of your life to theirs because of needs and wants. It is not ALL for ONE and ONE for ALL. That's hackneyed hogwash. Freedom is first, last, and foremost. Freedom and liberty are what make America different and great. Not obligation, duty and slavery. Freedom, liberty, individualism, and the RIGHT to LIFE, LIBERTY, and the PURSUIT (NOT GUARANTEE) OF HAPPINESS. Please review the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence and learn what your country is really about.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 12-16-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 05:31 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Who cares? They aren't paying for each new baby they bring into the world. That's a plus!

Old 12-16-2015, 05:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Who cares? They aren't paying for each new baby they bring into the world. That's a plus!
One more post in this vein and I am going to have to Google up the fertility statistics on American Catholics. White American Catholics.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:27 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
In this country, that 20k would be re-couped pretty quickly through lottery tickets and other "sin" taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates