Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 01:19 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Next on the anti smoke agenda.......banning campfires and backyard fire pits. {cough.....cough chough....hack}
No, huge 20-30-40 story fans, along the West Coast, running 24 hours a day, to keep the dirty air from China seeping into our country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 01:37 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
When I worked at General Mills, they banned smoking on-campus. Period. And the campus was pretty big - if you wanted to get off it, it was a walk of over a quarter-mile each way. It pretty much stopped smoking by employees during their shifts.

That's how to do it. Problem solved.
That's particularly cruel, and even counter-productive, in the northern climates, in winter. Desperate enough, I'm sure there are those that "ran" the quarter of a mile, in freezing weather, with blowing winds, and they ended up with pneumonia, taking sick days. Serves the company right!

I was shocked to learn that in Minnesota, at the Long-term care facilities, you must smoke 50-100 feet away from any entrance to the facility. My mother had an apt. adjacent to one of these facilities, and I'd see these elderly patients, in their wheelchairs, or with crutches, navigating icy sidewalks, blowing winds, just to have a smoke! There's a term for that: Elderly Abuse!

Old 12-15-2015, 01:39 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Haven't gotten through all the pages but I am appalled that there are still so many people who think that smoking is a personal freedom that everyone else should just put up with, even if it involves breathing the second-hand smoke. Living back in the 50's, people? I walked into an American Legion the other night and there were two people standing outside smoking....did not appreciate having to walk through their cloud of smoke. And vaping is just as bad -- our property manager was sitting right next to me in a meeting vaping away....the "vapor" was going right in my face and it also smelled like a cigar. We have since including vaping under the no-smoking rule.

The "car exhaust" argument is dated too -- that's why we've had emission laws for oh, 25 years?

I think many places have placed a campus-wide ban on smoking, which is fine with me. One of the driving factors in my quitting in 1987 was that it was becoming so socially unacceptable and such a HASSLE to smoke -- well, they wouldn't let us smoke inside the client hospitals anymore, the nerve! We had to stand outside freezing! And none of my work friends would agree to sit in "smoking" to accommodate me in restaurants. It was awful, I tell ya, just awful! But I quit and it was one of the best decisions of my life. So maybe the more cumbersome you make it, smokers will finally realize it's not worth it! I know a lightbulb went on in my head one night as I was lighting up -- I could picture my nice pink lungs getting blackened by smoke, and thought, "what fool thought this was a good idea???".

Old 12-15-2015, 03:35 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Really?

Walking around in public, people may be exposed to cigarette smoke but are definitely exposed to vehicle exhaust.

Both can be considered 'smoke'.

Keep trying, though!
haha. I won't try any more. I agree with Mark Twain about arguing with the likes of yourself.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:39 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Haven't gotten through all the pages but I am appalled that there are still so many people who think that smoking is a personal freedom that everyone else should just put up with
It IS a personal freedom.

Selling and buying cigarettes is legal.

Quote:
even if it involves breathing the second-hand smoke.
If you don't like it, leave.

Quote:
Living back in the 50's, people?
No, we're living in 2015, and I notice that you can still buy and smoke cigarettes.

Quote:
I walked into an American Legion the other night and there were two people standing outside smoking....did not appreciate having to walk through their cloud of smoke. And vaping is just as bad -- our property manager was sitting right next to me in a meeting vaping away....the "vapor" was going right in my face
Oh, the horror!

Water vapor going into your face.

Probably good for your complexion.

Is this water vapor going into your face something that happens 24/7?

Quote:
The "car exhaust" argument is dated too -- that's why we've had emission laws for oh, 25 years?
Go suck on a car exhaust pipe and see what happens.

Quote:
I think many places have placed a campus-wide ban on smoking, which is fine with me. One of the driving factors in my quitting in 1987 was that it was becoming so socially unacceptable and such a HASSLE to smoke
So that's the REAL reason you're against smoking.

You quit.

So everybody else has to quit as well.

Have you apologized and made amends to all the people you "bothered" when you were smoking?

I doubt it.

Quote:
....well, they wouldn't let us smoke inside the client hospitals anymore, the nerve! We had to stand outside freezing! And none of my work friends would agree to sit in "smoking" to accommodate me in restaurants. It was awful, I tell ya, just awful!
Mmkay.

Quote:
But I quit and it was one of the best decisions of my life. So maybe the more cumbersome you make it, smokers will finally realize it's not worth it! I know a light bulb went on in my head one night as I was lighting up -- I could picture my nice pink lungs getting blackened by smoke, and thought, "what fool thought this was a good idea???".
So everybody HAS to do what YOU did.

And if they don't TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU AND FOLLOW YOUR EXAMPLE, you'll complain.

You must be popular.

Last edited by dechatelet; 12-15-2015 at 03:47 AM..

Old 12-15-2015, 03:49 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post

haha. I won't try any more. I agree with Mark Twain about arguing with the likes of yourself.
You lost the argument a long time ago.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:33 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSonner View Post
Except for all the toxins in the clouds of smoke they're spewing into the air around your mouth and nose.

Except for that.

I'm extremely sensitive to any kind of smoke, anyway. Makes me cough. And where people smoke a lot, a stench starts to build up because the smoke sticks to everything it touches. You can't go past the area even when no smokers are present without smelling the stink. And smokers are usually not aware of that smell because they're so used to it.

I agree on the perfume as well. I'm again, allergic to a lot of perfumes and it's just obnoxious to put too much on. Better not to use it at all. If you can smell it, it's too much.
I'm with you. It is so bothersome, but especially for those very sensitive to smoke and odor. I developed Asthma as an adult (and my parents smoked when I was young). Where smokers are regularly, the air stinks until there is strong wind or rain. Why contribute to polluting the air? Then, they don't know they stink. If smokers could just accept that nobody is making this up and not become so defensive, since smoking affecting others is factual. If they would understand that just because they are addicted, it is not something to subject upon the non-smoker, but we will generally see hostility from (except in those cases of those who are actually aware and considerate, who do not want to bother others). I suppose they became addicted due to other issues and really resent having to be told "No".

I also can react to perfume, chemicals. I recall nicely asking a new coworker if she could refrain from wearing strong perfume to work (she sat nearby), because I was allergic. Well, after break time when she must have shared this, she and others kept making obvious cracks within earshot all day in reference to my request. Why does this kind of thing have to cause such defensiveness?

To mention - I had begun seeing that cigarette butts would always be collecting around my building car space. There are few smokers here and wondered why butts were always around my car.. and why would they do this instead of by their OWN car? I made up a small sign requesting smokers to not do so.. and apparently, this one guy piled a bunch of them up in one spot next to my car. Now, what kind of a person does this sort of thing? First he tosses them there.. then, resents a request not to, reacting this way. I don't even know him personally, but I have had clues that it was him.

None of this is different from a noisy neighbor who, after asking if they might be more aware of their creating excessive or exaggerated movements, that they will then react defensively and keep up their behavior. It is an immature personality. Another person might really be unaware and stop. No one has ever had to ask me to quit doing something like that because I am conscious of others and not rude.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You lost the argument a long time ago.
I concede that it would appear that way to you. . But that is a very low test.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:27 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post

All you have are insults, it seems. In other words, you have nothing! I thought insults were prohibited in the 'Great Debates' forum.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
All you have are insults, it seems. In other words, you have nothing! I thought insults were prohibited in the 'Great Debates' forum.
What I provided was very clear counters to absurd and fallacious "arguments". I even helped with education on how to spot the fallacies. Some couldn't, or chose not to understand. Let me apologise if you've found such assistance insulting.

However, The primary insults I've seen here are from those insulting the intelligence of posters by trotting out undergraduate debating techniques. I'd recommend further reading on the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates