Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 10:04 PM

189 posts, read 176,424 times

Advertisements

The city needs to step up ticketing smoking violations. They know they get a lot of $$ ticketing illegally parked vehicles, which don't typically hurt anybody, they need to start giving out tickets to smokers who violate no smoking rules - which is an actual health hazard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 10:28 PM

282 posts, read 236,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anika783 View Post
The city needs to step up ticketing smoking violations. They know they get a lot of $$ ticketing illegally parked vehicles, which don't typically hurt anybody, they need to start giving out tickets to smokers who violate no smoking rules - which is an actual health hazard.
I'm curious what a ticket for this would amount too. I can't imagine it's a large penalty.
That said, here in California it's illegal to smoke in a car with a minor present. I doubt it stops many, if they even know, but I keep thinking it's closer to a reason to pull someone over and look for a more serious write up than that. Kind of like a brake light out or on the cell phone.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:46 PM

838 posts, read 1,353,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Since smokers are no longer allowed to smoke indoors in public buildings, they've been sent outside. Now many smokers go just RIGHT outside and smoke in everyone's faces as people enter or leave the buildings.

As a non-smoker I think smoking zones should be relegated to remote areas in the back of parking lots, where there are rarely ever any people.

Smokers should NOT smoke directly outside entrances & exits of buildings.

A couple times I've been in a sassy enough mood to fake a coughing/gagging fit in smokers' faces as I walked by them.

But it's no joke that I literally have to hold my breath when walking near them. Depriving myself of breathing for a moment just to get past them.

Vaping is tolerable to breathe though. Just water vapor, usually smells nice.
I'm not a smoker either but you are being way too dramatic.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:24 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
If I decided to sit outside the door and eat popcorn, would that bother you? Probably not. But what if I started throwing it at you as you walked by. We would have a problem then wouldn't we?
I'd have no problem with that. I'd probably open my mouth ant try to catch it and eat it. Either that or I'd throw it right back at you if it was that butterless unsalted crap!

Old 12-12-2015, 07:42 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I'd have no problem with that. I'd probably open my mouth ant try to catch it and eat it. Either that or I'd throw it right back at you if it was that butterless unsalted crap!
I think a better analogy might be if someone was eating sunflower seeds, and as you walk by, they decide to throw the used sunflower shells at you...the wet, sucked on, bitten empty shells. Would you be opening your mouth to catch those?

Old 12-12-2015, 07:43 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Smoking costs us all. Huge chunk of Medicare is spent on oxygen tanks and medical care for those with smoking-related COPD, cancer, stroke...

We have to pay for smoking, so why should we have to put up with it every time we enter or leave a building?

Smoking is a private thing. Like going to the bathroom. Or shooting heroin. Do we allow people to take dumps at entranceways to stores and office buildings? Or to drop their needles on our sidewalks?

No.

Smokers really ought to smoke in the privacy of their own property, not shared space.

Perhaps ticketed smokers could be required to sit through several hours of video on the effects of smoking.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:55 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
It appears to me that smokers will go to wherever there's a smoking area at. So if a business puts an ashtray 10 feet from an entrance...that's where people smoke. 20 feet etc. I've not run across a place where smokers are crowding an entrance and avoiding a smoking station in years...maybe Vegas as an exception or an occasional late night in a bar....but neither situation is generally me looking to lengthen my life for the night.

So, I'm guessing it's really just karma. Chronic smokers gain an amazing ability to sense when overly sensitive douchebags are approaching with fake coughs, triggering them to light up a cigarette as a defensive measure to keep them away. I've been known to actually go buy a pack when I realize one is in my group.

That usually makes them mad and they leave, or they be quiet about it and I put out the cigarette. The former making me wonder how they can get home on a sidewalk, constantly dodging the exhaust coming from those oh so close cars belching out their exhaust. The latter happy that some perspective can be reached and the topic is put to rest.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:40 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
"Their outside" - the outside does not belong to just smokers. It belongs to everyone. (yeah, I know you meant "they're", but I could not resist!)

And yes, I want them to go farther away. I should not have to walk through a cloud of smoke to enter a building. Gross and nasty. Luckily, most places I frequent do not have smokers at their doors, so it's not a big factor in my life.
Yes, by all means smokers need to be the legal distance from entrances.

BUT - smoking outside is like peeing in a swimming pool - or actually, the OCEAN! Think about it people - you don't own the air and you don't own the ocean - think of the level of dilution...then, GET OVER IT.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:02 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes, by all means smokers need to be the legal distance from entrances.

BUT - smoking outside is like peeing in a swimming pool - or actually, the OCEAN! Think about it people - you don't own the air and you don't own the ocean - think of the level of dilution...then, GET OVER IT.
Do you want to be swimming underwater with your mouth open right next to a guy pissing in the pool?

Old 12-12-2015, 10:23 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
poor babies..smog and exhaust fumes must really spoil your day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates