Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 08:11 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Shunning is not for people who use drugs. If that were the case I could not work with anyone on ibuprofen. It is for people who make the conscious choice to abuse mind-obliterating drugs. And yes, if a known mind-obliterating drug abuser comes into my life, shunning takes place in all respects, business, pleasure, daytime, nighttime. I have no tolerance for this particular character defect, as the damage is too obvious for anyone of even minimal intelligence to ignore.
Ah, but you're making the mistake so many people who don't understand addiction make: that the person is consciously choosing to abuse the substance. That is patently false. Obviously a person doesn't choose to destroy his/her body, mind and soul by abusing the substance. Otherwise, the addict would stop at the first sign of trouble, and addiction would not be the huge problem it is for so many people today. Think about morbid obesity, bulimia, alcoholism, prescription drug abuse, and gambling addiction. Many substance abusers are addicted to legal activities and substances. And people do many illogical things all the time. The substance or behavior makes the person feel good, even if for a minute, and for him/her, the high he/she feels overrides any logical thoughts or actions of stopping use of the substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 08:28 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,513 times
An addict dying is no less meaningful than anyone else. Yes, they are self destructive, but unless you've been there- don't throw stones. I am in recovery, and know I've seriously hurt others. Non addicts cause major damage as well, it's just not always as obvious.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:31 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,460,398 times
I do think that drug addiction and alcoholism are diseases. However, the initial use is almost always a choice. I can't have sympathy for someone who chooses to use an illegal substance and ends up getting into deep with it. I know alcohol isn't illegal for those 21 and older, but most understand that it can be an addictive substance and they assume those risks when they imbibe.

I'm more of an observational person, so I saw how alcohol and drugs negatively impacted people and chose to abstain at a young age. Many drug addicts and alcoholics know family members who have battled drugs and/or alcohol prior to use and are privy to the ills of them, so they should have made the choice to not start participating in those activities. Moreover, alcohol and drug use usually starts out as a fun thing while partying. It doesn't have a negative connotation associated with it for some people until it turns into a full-blown addiction. I suppose some people need to experience drugs and alcohol for themselves, but I can't feel sorry for people who make the initial choice to use and end up getting burned. Drugs and alcohol are demonized a lot in today's society and you'd have to be a fool not to know the associated risks prior to use. There was a time when the negative side effects of most drugs weren't known, but today most of us are educated about them.

I'd love to be dead right now, but I choose to think about how committing suicide would negatively impact my family. I don't have any children, but I have a brother, dad, and nephews who I wouldn't want to leave a mess for. So I choose to struggle everyday and stay alive for them. So when I see an addict selfishly and needlessly ruining the lives of their family, it makes me mad.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:49 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,007,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Think about morbid obesity, bulimia, alcoholism, prescription drug abuse, and gambling addiction. Many substance abusers are addicted to legal activities and substances.
I think this is the important point that is being missed by some here.

Addiction is not relegated to those things that society, in general, looks at and says "Oh my God, BAD!!!!".

When those awful, awful "druggies" are spoken about, are those who have gotten addicted to legally prescribed pain medication included? When these people go into rehab, is that also considered a "racket"?

Is a line being drawn, or is it just that it's easy to paint all people suffering with addiction as "weak" and having made choices that "fine, upstanding people" would never make?

I'll go back to what I said earlier- that most people would be absolutely shocked at who they may know who is either suffering with addiction, or is in recovery. Addiction knows no cultural, ethnic, gender or socio-economic boundaries. The "drunken bum" on the street corner or the "tweaker" getting some fast food are simply the most visible faces of what is a very pervasive issue in our society.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:55 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I think this is the important point that is being missed by some here.

Addiction is not relegated to those things that society, in general, looks at and says "Oh my God, BAD!!!!".

When those awful, awful "druggies" are spoken about, are those who have gotten addicted to legally prescribed pain medication included? When these people go into rehab, is that also considered a "racket"?

Is a line being drawn, or is it just that it's easy to paint all people suffering with addiction as "weak" and having made choices that "fine, upstanding people" would never make?

I'll go back to what I said earlier- that most people would be absolutely shocked at who they may know who is either suffering with addiction, or is in recovery. Addiction knows no cultural, ethnic, gender or socio-economic boundaries. The "drunken bum" on the street corner or the "tweaker" getting some fast food are simply the most visible faces of what is a very pervasive issue in our society.
I'm only speaking of people that I know personally who were addicted to illegal drugs. There is no excuse for someone to smoke crack. Come on.

As for prescription addicts, I do feel somewhat sorry for them. I have had surgery and was (over) prescribed narcotics. Ten Percocet's for an outpatient surgery?? I didn't even fill the prescription.

When you know that you have a genetic predisposition to addiction, you do what you have to.

My biggest fear is that I'll have a surgery and get addicted to painkillers.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:55 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,068,765 times
Saw a guy last week...intravenous drug user....down to part of one leg, and had one arm left. Every other limb had been amputated as gangrene set in. He was conscious. Barely.

Probably consumed a million dollars in medical care, for which he had no means to pay. Life was just about over for him, even if he did recover enough to regain consciousness.

Blessing if he passes. Quality of life had to be about zero, except when he was injecting.

Felt no remorse. Just sadness that anyone could get in that sort of condition and no one stepped in to rescue him. Or maybe they tried, and he just rejected their help in favor of his high.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:05 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Not all addictions are caused by irresponsible behavior / drug abuse.

Some people have severe pain and opioids are the only drugs that are strong enough. Other people have severe problems with anxiety, panic attacks, or seizures which often reqire treatment with benzodiazepines, which cause dependence.

It's harder for me to feel sorry for people who take illegal drugs recreationally and then get hooked. But why not try to help those people instead of throwing them under the bus? Saying they are scum that deserve to die is pretty cruel, IMO.

I wonder how many people use drugs to escape from serious mental health problems. It's a damn shame that those people aren't getting the help they need.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:37 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Ah, but you're making the mistake so many people who don't understand addiction make: that the person is consciously choosing to abuse the substance. That is patently false. Obviously a person doesn't choose to destroy his/her body, mind and soul by abusing the substance. Otherwise, the addict would stop at the first sign of trouble, and addiction would not be the huge problem it is for so many people today. Think about morbid obesity, bulimia, alcoholism, prescription drug abuse, and gambling addiction. Many substance abusers are addicted to legal activities and substances. And people do many illogical things all the time. The substance or behavior makes the person feel good, even if for a minute, and for him/her, the high he/she feels overrides any logical thoughts or actions of stopping use of the substance.
Sure they do! I come from a looooong line of alcoholics and drug addicts. I didn't have my sip of alcohol until Iw as 25. Even now I may have a whole 3 drinks a year....if that....I haven't had an alcohol in over 2 years. I've never been drunk. That was a choice I made.

I've never don't any illegal drugs. I've taken over the counter medications and used as directed. I've also taken hardcore prescriptions. I absolutely hated those. I know how easy it is to get addicted to oxycodone and I was on it after a surgery. I can't have anything with codeine because I have a very bad reaction to the codeine. I still have several pills left and people have offered to take them off my hands. I absolutely refuse to do that. They were a prescription because I had surgery and portion of my jawbone was removed! They drugs are going to the police next time they have a drug round up.

I was supposed to be on oxycodone for 10 days. I stopped them after 3 days. The pain was manageable with ibuprofen and Tylenol. I did not want to become an addict. Given my DNA, it was not something to mess with.

Choices. Life is full of choices!

Old 12-14-2015, 04:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
I think the death of an addict, especially if they are young, is very sad. Such a waste, and most of these leave sadness behind with their loved ones. Its true that people don't choose to become addicts, but they do choose to use these very dangerous drugs. They know they could become addicted and die, but chose them anyhow. I don't feel sorry for them. People generally bring their own problems on themselves because they often ignored good advice and did otherwise. Hopefully, from their deaths, others will learn a lesson and stay away from that junk.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:37 PM

445 posts, read 770,364 times
My favorite musician of all time (Jeff Hanneman of Slayer) drank himself to death. I feel that his music is his legacy, his addiction was just an unfortunate part of who he was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates